Listed below are all of our news and reviews articles for January 2005. If you are looking for an article on a particular day or on a particular topic, you can use the menu on the right to narrow your search
2005 ArticlesJanuary | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December |
January 2005 Topics
SmartPhone Articles for January of 2005
Below are the 130 SmartPhone articles for January of 2005
1. Review - The JAVOClearCase Bundle 1/2/2005
For all of the writing that I do around here about choosing a PDA and making sure that you have the right accessories when you get that PDA,
2. Brighthand's Predictions for 2005 1/3/2005
Ed Hardy and Shawn Barnett bring us their thoughts on what we can expect for the handheld and smartphone market in the coming year.
At the end of last year, Brighthand made some predictions for 2004. Now we're looking back to see how we did.
4. Gameboy Advance Emulation Comes to the Palm OS 1/3/2005
Crimson Fire has released the Gameboy Advance (GBA) portion of its Firestorm emulator for the Palm OS.
5. What Will Bill Unveil at the 2005 CES? 1/3/2005
The CES is the main mobile tech event, in the US anyway, every year. Bill Gates kicks off this year's event with the keynote where he's publ
6. BlackBerry Smartphone Coming to Cingular 1/4/2005
According to rumor, Cingular is going to be the next wireless carrier to offer a version of RIM's first smartphone.
7. PalmZone.net's MobileWeb Now PdaMobileWeb.com 1/4/2005
PalmZone.net's MobileWeb site index of handheld-friendly links has been expanded and now has its own web address.
8. PDA and Tech Deals for 1/4/2004 - 1/7/2004 1/4/2005
Palm Zire 72 PDA $240 and Free $30 Amazon Gift CertificateKingston 512MB SD Memory Card $29.99Nintendo DS + Mario 64 + Leather Case $200 wit
9. Review -- Quotestream Wireless from QuoteMedia 1/4/2005
Being away from the ticker at the bottom of CNBC can be traumatic for some. If you have a wireless device, there's now no need to worry. Quo
CNET's top handheld choices Engadget Picks and readers' choices Report: Features, pics of Windows Mobile 2005
11. Companies Donating to Disaster Relief 1/5/2005
Several handheld-related companies are making donations to help the victims of the earthquake and tsunami in the Indian Ocean.
12. Fossil's Palm OS Wrist Watch Now Available 1/5/2005
After a very long delay, the Wrist PDA has finally hit the market. Despite its diminutive size, this runs a full version of the Palm OS.
13. Garmin Announces Its First GPS-Enabled Pocket PC 1/5/2005
After offering Palm OS models for several years, Garmin has just announced the iQue M5, its first GPS-enabled Pocket PC.
Garmin has just unveiled a new GPS receiver that can communicate with a Pocket PC via Bluetooth.
The Handmark Pocket Express suite of seven wireless services for BlackBerry handhelds will be available later this month.
Technology Enabled Clothing (TEC) has been granted a patent for its Personal Area Network (PAN) system, which allows users to wire third-par
Garmin added a new page to their PDA playbook today, announcing the iQue M5 GPS enabled Pocket PC. It doesn't stop there. Garmin, who is kno
18. FCC Releases Then Removes Tungsten E2 Info 1/6/2005
The palmOne Tungsten E2 appeared briefly on the FCC web site yesterday, but has since been removed. Still, it was available long enough for
19. BenQ P50 Coming Next Month 1/6/2005
A cellular-wireless Pocket PC that has been called a possible "Treo killer" will finally debut in February, but at a higher price than even
20. New GPS SD Card Hits the Market 1/6/2005
Stellus System has announced a GPS (Global Positioning System) receiver that works with handhelds with SDIO slots.
Microsoft SPOT Group today announced a pair of new licensees. Oregon Scientific and MZ Berger are developing innovative devices with MSN Dir
Eric Snider's Blackjack features a simple to use interface, smooth animations, and graphics that support the latest Palm OS models with high
23. Sony Announces 4 GB Memory Stick PRO Card 1/6/2005
Sony is doubling the capacity of its flash media product line by announcing a 4 GB Memory Stick PRO card.
24. Cingular Demoing Treo 650 at CES 1/6/2005
There are strong signs that Sprint's monopoly on the Treo 650 is about to come to an end.
25. Fossil Announces Palm OS Powered Wrist PDA (pics) 1/6/2005
Two years after Fossil first promised a Palm OS powered watch, the PDA is real. The Wrist PDA was delivered a death blow by the company who
I was able to spend a few minutes with BenQ's latest effort in the Smartphone space. BenQ hopes to have this unit available in the US by Jul
27. First Thoughts - Samsung i730 PocketPC Phone 1/6/2005
We had an opportunity to use a fully functional Samsung i730 last night. We didn't hear it from Samsung, but we have it on very good authori
28. palmOne Treo 650 to Hit Cingular in February 1/6/2005
While at the CES we've seen palmOne employees walking around with GSM Treo 650's using the Cingular network. It's been in testing for almost
PalmOne has been pretty active lately with releasing the Treo 650 and Tungsten T5 models. This holiday season has even seen their market sha
30. Enfora Bringing Wi-Fi to the Treo Series 1/7/2005
Enfora has announced plans to release a pair of Wi-Fi sleds for the Treo 600 and Treo 650.
31. Microsoft Quietly Releases ActiveSync 3.8 1/7/2005
Without any fanfare, Microsoft has posted on its Download Center an updated version of its synchronization software for Windows Mobile handh
SanDisk is demonstrating at this week's CES tradeshow a prototype of an SD card that can also be be used with the USB port on a desktop or l
33. palmOne Moving to a New Headquarters 1/7/2005
palmOne has announced plans to move to a new corporate headquarters in Sunnyvale, Calif.
Tapwave and Virgin Digital have formed a strategic alliance to make the Tapwave Zodiac multimedia handheld work seamlessly with Virgin Digit
35. Rumor - HP Planning Updated iPAQs 1/8/2005
HP's booths were active at the CES this year. Not just active with tons of products, but with buzz about their iPAQ line that has been disap
36. Brighthand's Coverage of CES 2005 1/10/2005
The 2005 International Consumer Electronics Show is over, but Brighthand is still getting caught up on some of the news stories that came ou
37. HP Redesigning Some Recent iPAQs 1/10/2005
At last week's Consumer Electronics Show, some HP representatives talked about their company's plans to update a pair of handhelds that were
38. Sena Cases Introduces New Cases for the palmOne Treo 650 1/10/2005
Sena Cases has released two new leather case models for the palmOne Treo 650 series.
Microsoft has decided to stop referring to devices as Pocket PCs or Smartphones. Instead, both these groups of products will be combined in
40. ASUS P505 May Come to the U.S. (Updated) 1/11/2005
ASUS's upcoming cellular-wireless Pocket PC will be available in the United States if there is sufficient demand for it.
41. Dell Axim X50v Still Available for Less than $425 1/11/2005
Back in November, Dell's online store began offering 15 percent off the regular prices for all its new Axim X50 series models. Almost two mo
42. United Airlines Giving Away BlackBerries to Passengers 1/11/2005
People who book a qualifying flight on United Airlines and sign up for T-Mobile wireless service can get a free BlackBerry cellular-wireless
43. NewsBreak Released for Windows Mobile Smartphones 1/11/2005
Get the latest headlines, weather, sports, business, and entertainment news wirelessly on your Windows Mobile-based Pocket PC or Smartphone.
44. AvantGo Gets a Major Upgrade 1/11/2005
iAnywhere Solutions has just released a new version of one of the most popular handheld and smartphone applications of all time. All AvantGo
45. SyChip Announces 802.11g Module for Handhelds 1/11/2005
SyChip has introduced an 802.11g module that can be built into handhelds and smartphones. This will allow them to do wireless data transfers
46. Orbitz Also Giving Away BlackBerries 1/12/2005
United Airlines isn't the only one offering a free BlackBerry cellular-wireless handheld to its customers. Orbitz is also doing so.
48. GPS SD Card Now Available for the Treo 650 1/12/2005
iGolf Technologies is now selling a GPS receiver in an SD card for palmOne's new Treo 650 smartphone.
Astraware and PopCap are pleased to announce that Mars Needs Cows for Windows Mobile for Smartphone has arrived. In addition, the Pocket PC
Chronos fills a gap in the Pocket PC operating system by offering an unlimited number of highly customizable alarms.
51. BlackBerry Smartphone Coming to O2 1/12/2005
A version of RIM's BlackBerry smartphone will be available in the United Kingdom later this month from O2.
52. JAVOedge Introduces Mobile Power Kit 1/13/2005
The Mobile Power Kit comes with adapters which are designed to help consolidate many power cords into one charging adapter.
53. Amoi Preparing Innovative Cellular-Wireless Pocket PC 1/13/2005
China-based Amoi has been demonstrating what may be the first Pocket PC to use SanDisk's TransFlash memory cards. This device also will have
54. Tapwave Turns Down Gameboy Emulator 1/13/2005
Tapwave has refused to "sign" Crimson Fire's Gameboy emulator. Without this digital seal of approval, the Zodiac-specific version of Firesto
55. Latest on the Samsung i730 1/13/2005
Although quite a few details have been revealed on Samsung's upcoming cellular-wireless Pocket PC, some important details remain a mystery.
Beiks has opened a new section of its Web site devoted to software compatible with Fossil?s new Abacus Wrist PDA.
57. Upcoming Watch-Size PC will Have Internet Access 1/13/2005
Scientists in gadget-crazy South Korea say they are close to finishing work on a PC small enough to wear on a wrist.
58. Nokia Cutting Multimedia R&D Staff 1/13/2005
Nokia is going to lay off some of its research and development staff from the group that develops multimedia-oriented devices.
59. PDAs Busted at This Year's CES 1/13/2005
PDAs were virtually nowhere to be found this year at the CES. The focus instead was fully on portable media and media center. Windows Mobile
60. PDA and Tech Deals for 1/11/2005 - 1/13/2005 1/13/2005
HOT DEAL: 20% Off Code on Dell Axim X50v (1/13/2005 - 1/17/2005)palmOne.com 10% Off Code (expires 1/12/05 11:59 p.m.)Audiovox SMT5600 Award
61. PDA News - Software Special Edition 1/13/2005
New software: GameBox Solitaire II, by PDAmill BTImmobilizer, by SOFTAVA Acky's XP Breakout level pack, by Isotope244 NetRemote,
Socket OrganizeIT Suite is a software application bundled with a Socket SDIO In-Hand Scan Card that organizes private music and video collec
Brighthand's Editor-in-Chief believes Windows Mobile's implementation of VGA displays leaves much to be desired, so there's plenty of room f
65. BenQ P50 Might Not Be Coming Next Month 1/14/2005
According to a report published today, BenQ may have been overly optimistic about when its highly-anticipated cellular-wireless Pocket PC w
66. New Evidence Treo 650 Coming to Cingular this Month 1/14/2005
Over the past week or so, evidence has been building that Cingular will start offering the latest palmOne smartphone before the end of this
67. First Thoughts - HP iPaq hx2750 (Pics, specs) 1/14/2005
After having had the HP iPaq hx2750 for about 12 hours now, I've formed some initial impressions of HP's business-market anomaly.
68. palmOne, HP and Dell Are 1, 2 and 3. Who's Number 4? 1/14/2005
The PDA space has condensed a tremendous deal over the past year. If you're not palmOne, HP or Dell, you're a niche player. Mitac Internatio
Palm OS drivers for ThinkOutside Bluetooth keyboard Reports: Cingular to launch Treo 650 on January 26th Hack allows HP Bluetooth headphon
70. Stuntcar Extreme Released for Pocket PC and Symbian 1/16/2005
Stuntcar Extreme delivers a fast-paced stunt racing experience with an early 80's retro funk flavor.
71. Palm OS Driver Released for Stowaway Bluetooth Keyboard 1/16/2005
Many months after the Windows Mobile and Symbian drivers were released, Think Outside has released software that allows many Palm OS handhel
72. My First CES 1/16/2005
It has been one week since BargainPDA has been to CES and that has given me ample time to reflect on how fun, and weird that trip was for me
73. No New Zodiac Until 2006 1/17/2005
A Tapwave executive said recently that a new Zodiac model won't be released for at least another year, and the wait might possibly even be t
74. Archos PMA400 -- Linux Based Media Player and PDA 1/17/2005
Archos is well known for their audio and video products, but their new Pocket Media Assistant PMA400 goes beyond the standard media recordin
PalmOne website shows GSM Treo 650 Security flaw on Axim X50 series PC Mag talks to Tapwave founder Verizon users sue over Bluetooth cr
76. Garmin Announces Palm OS Handheld Aimed at Pilots 1/18/2005
Garmin has taken the wraps off the iQue 3600a, a bundle of products designed to help pilots navigate.
77. palmOne Announces Change in Global Operations Leadership 1/18/2005
palmOne, Inc. today announced that its senior vice president and head of the company's Global Operations is leaving the company.
78. Brighthand Reviews the palmOneTreo 650 1/18/2005
The Treo 650 is the latest member of palmOne's line of smartphones. It isn't an amazing breakthrough, but it does have several significant i
79. Brighthand Reviews the palmOneTreo 650 -- Part III 1/18/2005
80. Brighthand Reviews the palmOneTreo 650 -- Part II 1/18/2005
81. Sharp Zaurus SL-C3000 Review 1/18/2005
The new Zaurus SL-C3000 from Sharp is a linux-based PDA incorporating an Intel XScale PXA270 CPU at 416 MHz. It has a 640 by 480 pixel scree
BerryVine Messenger is the first BlackBerry based IM solution with direct MSN support, without the need for any intermediate third-party se
83. iPAQ h6300 Series May Be Coming to New Carriers 1/19/2005
Recent rumors indicate that T-Mobile's monopoly on HP's cellular-wireless Pocket PC is about to come to an end.
PalmSource has joined a consortium of companies that is trying to give many different wireless devices a consistent user experience.
85. KQ Dungeons 1.0 Released 1/20/2005
In Kyle's Quest Dungeons, players take on the role of an evil monster to build dungeons and keep out the pesky human adventurers.
86. Two Companies Debut Bluetooth Virtual Keyboards 1/20/2005
i.Tech Dynamic Limited is now offering a virtual keyboard that can communicate with a handheld via Bluetooth. A second company, Celluon, has
87. WD Enters Miniature Hard Drive Market 1/20/2005
Western Digital announced that it will enter the market for miniature hard drives with a family of 1-inch microdrives.
88. Nokia Still Committed to N-Gage 1/20/2005
Despite rumors to the contrary, Nokia says it remains committed to its N-Gage QD gaming-oriented smartphone.
Bluetooth SIG speaks out against Bluetooth crippling Leaked screenshots of Windows Mobile 2005 Western Digital to manufacture microdrives
90. Date Set for PalmSource Developer Conference 1/21/2005
PalmSource has announced when and where its next developer conference will be.
91. Samsung Announces Very Fast Mobile RAM Chip 1/21/2005
Samsung Electronics has created the world's first working prototype of a RAM chip that is fast enough to support high-quality 3D graphics an
92. Wireless Carriers Must Stop Crippling Bluetooth 1/21/2005
Ed Hardy urges carriers to end their habit of disabling some functions on their Bluetooth-enabled phones, forcing their users to pay for ser
Motorola has decided to stop having its Windows Mobile cellular-wireless devices manufactured in Taiwan.
94. Motorola to Stop Outsourcing Smartphone Manufacturing 1/21/2005
It's not much of a secret that most consumer electronics companies are marketing and support organizations more than anything else. Motorola
95. PDA and Tech Deals for 1/21/2005 - 1/23/2005 1/21/2005
Dell Home Coupons for up to $70 off PurchasepalmeOne Zire 72 32MB PDA $248 - $50 Rebate = $198 TotalMotorola MPx220 SmartPhone (Cingular) Fr
96. Utility Will Bring Landscape Support to Sony Clies 1/22/2005
Mobile Stream has announced a utility which adds landscape mode to some Sony Clie models.
97. Securing Your PDA 1/23/2005
Something that I have been reading a lot of about lately has been about security in the workplace. As a matter of fact, where I work, there
98. A New Twist in the RIM/NTP Lawsuit 1/24/2005
Research in Motion is trying a novel new argument in the long-running patent-infringement lawsuit brought by NTP.
Place the coloured shapes in the moving cut-outs. Fill up the rows and they disappear. Clear the board to move on to the next level. ShapeSh
100. Taxis Love PDAs, Mobile Phones and Notebooks 1/24/2005
Securing your PDA, Smartphone and notebook is critical. Take this latest study from Pointsec as exhibit A. They studied nine countries over
101. palmOne CEO Todd Bradley Resigns 1/24/2005
From a business viewpoint things at palmOne are not so grand. They got a little less grand when Wall Street decided the resignation by cur
102. palmOne's CEO Resigns 1/25/2005
palmOne's chief executive officer Todd Bradley has resigned, effective at the end of this quarter. No reason was given for this move.
103. Spb Software House Releases Spb Clone 1/25/2005
Spb Clone allows users to clone and restore applications, files, and registry settings onto several Pocket PC devices.
104. PDA and Tech Deals for 1/25/2005 - 1/27/2005 1/25/2005
Dell.com up to $75 off Coupon Codes Available Today Only (1/25/2005)Dell Axim X50v 624MHz Pocket PC $385 With Free ShippingpalmOne Zire Hand
105. First Thoughts -- Garmin iQue M5 1/25/2005
Garmin has released the Garmin iQue M5, their third PDA with embedded GPS functionality, but first on a Microsoft platform. While certainly
106. New Memory Card Format Compatible with SD, MMC Hardware 1/26/2005
A consortium of Taiwanese companies has proposed a new memory card format. M¼-Cards will be able to fit in slots designed for SD and
107. Treo 650 for Cingular May Be Delayed (Updated) 1/26/2005
Over the past several weeks, evidence has been building that Cingular will begin offering the Treo 650 tomorrow. However, an unconfirmed rep
108. Beiks Updates LexSpell Spelling Checker for Palm OS PDAs 1/26/2005
In the new version of LexSpell, configuration options are enhanced to give much better control over the spell-checking process and the gener
109. AlphaSmart Merging with Another Education-Related Company 1/26/2005
AlphaSmart has reached a definitive agreement to merge with Renaissance Learning. AlphaSmart is best known as the maker of the Dana line of
110. Sony VAIO U750 Review (pics, specs) 1/26/2005
The Sony Vaio U750 is the American release of the handtop Vaio U series that became an overnight technological sensation in Japan and it's v
Brighthand Staffer Shawn Barnett reports on his experiences with the new Palm OS driver for Think Outside's portable Bluetooth keyboard.
Administrators, teachers, and students interested in learning how to use their palmOne handheld computers have a new resource at their dispo
113. Illinois School Giving Handhelds to Students 1/27/2005
A private school in Illinios has given a handheld and a wireless keyboard to every student and teacher in grades four through eight.
114. Handheld Chess Program Defeats Grandmaster 1/27/2005
Earlier this week, Palm HIARCS 9.5 won a four-game friendly match against Grandmaster Jan Gustafsson of Germany, the first time a Palm chess
There's now a Pocket PC version of WordPop!, a game in which players assemble various combinations of words on a game board of randomly plac
116. Who Are You? 1/27/2005
BargainPDA.com is running a brief survey to help understand our audience a little better. We would appreciate it if you would take 90 second
117. More Speculation on the palmOne Tungsten E2 1/27/2005
We brought you news of the Tungsten E2 a few weeks back, along with rumors of palmOne refreshing their low-end product line. Well, Vaja Case
118. Dell Releases ROM Updates for Axim X50 Series 1/28/2005
Dell has posted on its web site a pair of ROM updates that make a number of improvements to its Axim X50 series of Pocket PCs.
119. Ship of Palm Looking for a New Captain 1/28/2005
With the departure of palmOne's CEO, Brighthand staffer Shawn Barnett is wondering whether the Palm flagship is headed for smooth sailing
120. Ship of Palm Looking for a New Captain -- Part II 1/28/2005
Photos of Samsung SGH-i530 Palm OS smartphone ROM update for Dell Axim X50, X50v Reports: Cingular Treo 650 delayed; Meanwhile, Treos ship
122. Dell Releases New ROM For Their Axim X50v and X50 1/28/2005
Dell has released a ROM update for the popular X50 PDA line. The update fixes several issues and improves several others, most notably the v
PhatPad 2.1 offers several new features including animation mode, vertical and horizontal auto scrolling, and improved overall functionalit
124. Pocket Watch Software Releases New ActivePrint SDK 1/29/2005
A new ActivePrint SDK gives developers the ability to integrate the ActivePrint printing solution into their applications.
As a writer and a purveyor of current technology, I am commonly asked by my less technical friends and family what PDA, mobile phone, or com
126. Crimson Fire Announces Kyles' Quest 3 1/31/2005
Crimson Fire is bringing out a new version of its popular role playing game.
127. palmOne CEO Leaving on a Golden Parachute 1/31/2005
palmOne has submitted to the SEC a form detailing CEO Todd Bradley's severance package.
128. Qool Palm OS Smartphone Available for the First Time 1/31/2005
After being delayed several months, the Qool QDA-700 -- the first Palm OS smartphone with a 1.3-megapixel camera -- has finally hit the mark
129. Dial-Up Networking Patched on Cingular Treo 650 1/31/2005
Cingular hasn't even officially announced the Treo 650, but a developer has already released a patch that allows this device to use dial-up
130. Fossil WristPDA 2.0 Review 1/31/2005
As a business traveler I'm always on the look out for some gadget that can reduce the amount of stuff I need to carry. I always wear a watch
more than 100 focused websites providing quick access to a deep store of
news, advice and analysis about the technologies, products and processes crucial
to the jobs of IT pros.
All Rights Reserved, Copyright 2000 - 2013, TechTarget | Read our Privacy Statement