Listed below are all of our news and reviews articles for January 2008. If you are looking for an article on a particular day or on a particular topic, you can use the menu on the right to narrow your search
2008 ArticlesJanuary | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December |
January 2008 Topics
SmartPhone Articles for January of 2008
Below are the 80 SmartPhone articles for January of 2008
The U.S. Department of Transportation has instituted new rules for carrying spare batteries on an airplane. Starting today, these must go in
A Pink Palm Centro May Be Coming to Sprint Nokia Internet Tablet Named One of Amazon's Best of 2007 Astraware Kicks Off Annual Hogmanay
Celio Corp will soon unveil the Redfly Mobile Companion, a laptop-shaped device that greatly extends the capabilities of some smartphones. T
Each month, Brighthand publishes a list of the handhelds and smartphones that readers have shown the most interest in during the preceding f
New information suggests that Asus may be planning a new version of its popular Eee PC sub-notebook for release this year that will feature
Pointui is a new freeware user interface (UI) for Windows Mobile smartphones. It has been designed to fingertip-friendly, allowing the user
7. Nokia N95 8GB Gets Firmware Update 1/3/2008
The latest N95 system software update brings a number of enhancements to speed up this high-end smartphone.
8. Samsung BlackJack II First Impressions Review 1/3/2008
Samsung and AT&T are now offering the BlackJack II, and Brighthand's Ed Hardy has some preliminary thoughts on this Windows Mobile smartphon
9. The Missing Sync Now Available for iPhone 1/4/2008
Popular cross-platform synchronization software The Missing Sync by Mark/Space is now available for users of the Apple iPhone. This applicat
10. Brighthand's Predictions for 2007; How Did We Do? 1/4/2008
Now is the time when people traditionally make predictions for the coming year, but only the bravest look back and discuss how they scored o
11. Brighthand's Predictions for 2008 1/4/2008
Following up on a long tradition, this year the Brighthand staff has once again made some predictions for what's going to come down the mobi
12. Rumors of New Nokia Devices for Later this Year 1/5/2008
Unconfirmed reports give some of the highlights of a pair of smartphones Nokia supposedly has slated for launch in the second half of 2008.
13. Nanotechnology May Boost Battery Capacity Ten Fold 1/6/2008
A new way of building lithium-ion batteries discovered by researchers at Stanford may be able to increase mobile device battery life by an o
14. An Advanced Look a Palm's Next High-End Treo 1/6/2008
There have been rumors for some time that Palm, Inc. is in the processor of developing the Treo 800w, its first smartphone with Wi-Fi, but d
A leaked roadmap for Vodafone's 2008 releases includes listings for new smartphones from Palm and Hewlett-Packard.
16. Nokia Officially Announces N95 8GB for N. America 1/7/2008
Confirming earlier rumors, Nokia said today it is going to release a version of the N95 8GB with support for the 3G wreless networks used in
17. Windows Mobile 7 Interface Exposed 1/7/2008
An internal Microsoft document provided to a Microsoft-oriented blog reveals extensive details, screenshots, and analysis of the new interfa
Manufacturers Asus and OQO yesterday demonstrated new versions of their Eee PC and Model 02 devices with built-in WiMAX, suitable for use on
19. SanDisk Prototypes 12-Gigabyte microSDHC Card 1/8/2008
Flash memory manufacturer SanDisk has begun to produce small quantities of a 12-gigabyte microSDHC card, which it is shipping to phone manuf
Verizon Wireless has released the SMT5800. This is a version of the HTC Vox/Libra, a Windows Mobile 6 Standard smartphone with both a keyboa
Amazon Kindle To Be Used in A Beta Book Publishing Test Handmark and Astraware Announce New Business Relationship Paragon Software Showc
22. Moving to Symbian/S60: PIM Data Fun 1/9/2008
Antoine Wright continues his series of editorials talking about his experiences moving from a Palm OS smartphone to one running Symbian/S60.
23. Sprint WiMax Network On Track For Late April Launch 1/9/2008
Speaking at the Consumer Electronics Show, Sprint CTO Barry West announced that his company is on track to launch its WiMax service, called
24. Alltel Offering the HTC Touch 1/9/2008
Alltel has launched the CDMA version of the popular HTC Touch Windows Mobile 6 smartphone.
Qualcomm has unveiled a prototype device that runs on their new Snapdragon chipset, which includes a 1 GHz processor core, as well as integr
26. Redfly Mobile Companion First Thoughts Preview 1/10/2008
After spending some time with a prototype of the Redfly Mobile Companion, Ed Hardy shares his initial thoughts on this a laptop-shaped devic
27. Rumors Circulating of a Dual-Screen Apple Device 1/11/2008
The weeks before the Macworld show are always full of dubious rumors about what will be announced. What is supposedly a leaked transcript of
28. Playstation Portable Phone Not Coming Soon 1/11/2008
This week, Skype announced a version of its phone-like for the Sony Playstation Portable. However, that's as close as the PSP is going to g
29. Sony Unveils a New MID: the mylo 2 1/12/2008
Sony has taken the wraps off an updated version of its mylo mobile Internet device (MID). Like its predecessor, this can access the web and
30. New Photo Circulating of Palm's Next High-End Treo 1/13/2008
A new photo of an upcoming smartphone from Palm Inc. -- code-named Drucker but likely to be marketed as the Treo 800w -- has now been seen f
31. Android Platform Makes Unofficial Debut 1/14/2008
While dedicated hardware has yet to appear, some enthusiasts are already unofficially creating the first mobile devices running the new Andr
32. Palm OS II Devices on Track for Release in Early 2009 1/14/2008
One of Palm's vice presidents has promised that his company is on course to have the first model running a new Linux-based version of the Pa
With the Macworld tradeshow kicking off Tuesday, rumors of what will -- and won't -- be announced are flying thick and fast. According to on
Palm Centro Now Available in Pink Pocket Informant 8 Released for Windows Mobile Fictionwise Acquires eReader Ebook Business Unit From M
35. Nokia Internet Tablet with WiMax Coming in Q2? 1/15/2008
It's no secret that Nokia plans to release an Internet Tablet with WiMax in 2008, but so far the company hasn't said when this will happen.
Steve Jobs has used part of his Macworld Expo keynote address to unveil a pair of system software updates for the iPhone and iPod touch, as
The version of the Treo 680 without carrier branding has received a system software update with a number of enhancements, including official
38. Microsoft Has Canceled Its Mobile Developer's Conference 1/16/2008
Microsoft's Mobile and Embedded Developers Conference (MEDC) has been canceled. Instead, it will be merged into two other conferences for de
39. Asus, Toshiba Show Off Concept UMPCs 1/16/2008
Two companies have shown off Ultra Mobile PCs expected to be released later this year. Asus is one of the leaders in this device category, b
40. Palm Desktop for Vista No Longer Just a Beta 1/16/2008
A beta version of the Palm Desktop with support for Windows Vista was released last summer, but now Palm has posted on its web site the full
41. Bidder List Finalized For 700 MHz Spectrum Auction 1/17/2008
The FCC has posted the final list of qualified bidders for the auction of 700 MHz spectrum, which starts on January 24. The final result of
According to a report out of Italy, Samsung may be prepping a Windows Mobile 6.1 device that mimics the look and some functions of the iPhon
43. Nokia N81 8GB First Impressions Review 1/17/2008
Nokia calls the N81 8GB a "multimedia computer" rather than a simple smartphone, and Antoine Wright has had a few days to see if this device
44. HP iPAQ 210 Now Shipping to Stores 1/17/2008
HP has begun shipping the iPAQ 210 Enterprise Handheld to retailers, which means this traditional handheld should go on sale any day now.
45. FlipStart Micro Laptop Gets a Significant Price Cut 1/18/2008
FlipStart Labs has dropped the cost of its miniature Windows laptop by more than half, bringing it into the price range of the average consu
46. It's the Web Browser, Stupid 1/18/2008
Brighthand's Ed Hardy uses his latest editorial to take the makers of most mobile devices to task for the lame web browsers included with th
Palm Updates VersaMail for Centro Full Screen Picture ID Program Available for Palm OS Smartphones Cute Keys v.1.0 for S60 Released
48. T-Mobile Germany To Offer 16 GB Version Of HTC Advantage 1/19/2008
T-Mobile Europe has announced plans to offer an upgraded version of the HTC Advantage tablet/smartphone device.
49. Energizer Energi To Go Portable Power Outlet Review 1/19/2008
Energizer has a solution for people who can never seem to find a power outlet when they need one. Kevin O'Brien has a review of this compan
50. Sony Ericsson Sold 100 Million Phones Last Year 1/20/2008
Sony Ericsson has announced the results of its most recent financial quarter, but the big news was that the company passed a major milestone
51. Palm, i-mate, O2 Return to HTC for Device Manufacturing 1/20/2008
Several major smartphone companies including Palm and i-mate have placed orders with HTC, resuming relationships that had been previously se
52. Asus Eee PC May Get a Touchscreen 1/21/2008
By all reports, the Asus Eee PC is selling well, but nevertheless there have been a few who have passed on this device because it lacks a to
53. AT&T Unveils iPhone Service Plans for Business Users 1/21/2008
AT&T is now offering a variety of data service plans for customers who are using Apple's iPhone. These cost less than the plans for consumer
54. More Information on Palm OS II Trickles Out 1/22/2008
In a recent interview, Palm's Chief Financial Officer gave some new details on the Linux-based operating system his company is developing.
55. Microsoft Hires Marketing Guru For Mobile Division 1/23/2008
Microsoft has hired a new marketing vice president as part of a bid to make Windows Mobile a household name.
An enterprising developer has created an application that replicates Google Maps' My Location feature on Palm OS Treos.
A long-awaited operating system upgrade is has just been released for the Samsung BlackJack. This will bring this smartphone up the the late
Palm has sent many of its customers a notice that they may benefit from a class action lawsuit that this company is attempting to settle.
Nokia Mobile Web Server 1.2 Beta Released Nokia N82 Gets Firmware Update Verizon Wireless Announces Developer Conference
60. HTC Touch Sales Pass the 2 Million Mark 1/24/2008
Everyone knows how well Apple is doing with iPhone sales, but it far from the only company with a successful smartphone. HTC has announced
61. Smartphone with Folding Screen Coming Later this Year 1/24/2008
Polymer Vision has announced that its first device with a rollable display will hit the market by the middle of this year.
62. Palm To Close All Its Retail Stores *UPDATED* 1/24/2008
In another cost-cutting move by the cash-strapped smartphone maker, Palm Inc. is shutting down the line of retail stores that it has operate
63. iPAQ 210 Enterprise Handheld Now Available 1/25/2008
For those who have been eagerly awaiting HP latest high-end handheld, the big day has arrived; the iPAQ 210 is now available in stores.
Researchers at the University of Washington have developed a kind of heads-up display that takes the approach of imprinting the screen on a
65. Verizon To Carry HTC Touch 1/26/2008
Information has surfaced showing that Verizon is soon to become the third US carrier to offer a version of the increasingly popular HTC Touc
66. Yet More Rumors Surface About the Treo 800w 1/27/2008
Another set of rumors is circulating about Palm's next high-end Windows Mobile smartphone.
67. Skyfire Mobile Web Browser Preview 1/28/2008
Skyfire is a newly announced web browser for mobile devices. Brighthand's Ed Hardy has been testing out a early beta of this application, an
With absolutely no fanfare, Palm has hired a former high-level Apple executive as its Senior Vice President of Product Development.
69. Update for the Sprint Mogul Getting Closer 1/28/2008
Last fall, Sprint promised a system software update for the HTC Mogul with new features. This has not yet been officially released, but a b
Stowaway Keyboard Line Discontinued YouTube for Mobile Now Offers a Greatly Expanded Selection of Videos Nokia Acquires Mobile Linux Dev
Bolstered by the success of its Q series, Motorola now has a slight slight lead in the world market for Windows Mobile smartphones without t
72. Palm Airport Stores Not Closing After All 1/29/2008
When Palm Inc. shuts down its line of retail stores this month, the closure will not affect the Palm-branded kiosks in some major airports.
73. Nokia N95 8GB for N. America Getting Closer to Release 1/30/2008
The version of the Nokia N95 8GB with support for the 3G wireless networks used in N. America has just passed an important milestone on its
74. 27% of iPhones Are Unlocked 1/30/2008
In theory, everyone in the U.S. who has an iPhone is an AT&T customer, as this telecom has an exclusive contract with Apple. In reality, mor
75. Windows Mobile Users Can Now Use Gmail with IMAP 1/30/2008
Google has fixed a bug that prevented most people with a Windows Mobile smartphone or handheld from using Gmail with IMAP.
76. Dell May Unveil Its First Smartphone Next Month 1/30/2008
According to unconfirmed reports, Dell will soon announce plans to release a smartphone. However, this supposedly won't run the operating sy
Palm and Sprint Release Small System Software Update for Treo 755p Kinoma Player Update Addresses YouTube Compatibility Astraware Updat
78. Garmin Unveils Phone Focused on Navigation 1/31/2008
Garmin has taken the wraps off the nuvifone, its first phone with a strong emphasis on GPS and personal navigation.
79. Nationwide, Open-Access Wireless Network on the Way 1/31/2008
One of the more significant auctions for wireless spectrum in recent memory has reached an important milestone: the price for one of the nat
80. Suppose They Fixed the Web Browser, Then What? 1/31/2008
In his latest editorial, Antoine Wright considers what might happen if software developers and device makers actually do what users are aski
more than 100 focused websites providing quick access to a deep store of
news, advice and analysis about the technologies, products and processes crucial
to the jobs of IT pros.
All Rights Reserved, Copyright 2000 - 2013, TechTarget | Read our Privacy Statement