Listed below are all of our news and reviews articles for January 2009. If you are looking for an article on a particular day or on a particular topic, you can use the menu on the right to narrow your search
2009 ArticlesJanuary | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December |
January 2009 Topics
SmartPhone Articles for January of 2009
Below are the 100 SmartPhone articles for January of 2009
1. T-Mobile Dash Getting Revamped 1/1/2009
T-Mobile is supposedly close to giving a facelift to one of its most popular Windows smartphones, the Dash. This will include a slightly new
2. OQO's Next UMPC Will Include OLED Touchscreen 1/1/2009
OQO is set to unveil an updated version of it Ultra Mobile PC. Like its predecessors, this will be a tiny PC running the regular version of
3. Three Resco Palm OS Apps Available for 50% Off 1/1/2009
Resco News, Sudoku, and IDGuard for Palm OS are temporarily available for half off.
Google has promised developers that the Android Market will soon allow them to sell applications. As it stands now, companies can only use t
Each month, Brighthand publishes a list of the handhelds and smartphones that readers have shown the most interest in during the preceding f
6. N. American Nokia N96 Gets a Firmware Update 1/2/2009
The version of the Nokia N96 created specifically for N. America has received a firmware update addressing many issues and increasing device
The infamous iPhone Dev Team didn't quite meet its goal of releasing on New Year's Eve a tool for easily unlocking the iPhone 3G. It has, ho
8. BlackBerry Bold May Be Headed to Sprint 1/3/2009
The BlackBerry Bold is currently available only from AT&T, but an unconfirmed report says Sprint will release a version of this smartphone i
9. T-Mobile Dash Now Back in Black 1/4/2009
A slightly revamped version of the T-Mobile Dash is now available. This includes a new look and an upgrade to the latest version of Windows
10. Brighthand's Predictions for 2009 1/4/2009
Continuing a long Brighthand tradition, Ed Hardy has once again made some predictions for what's going to happen in the mobile market during
11. T-Mobile G1 Owners Getting a Free Extra Battery? 1/5/2009
According to an unconfirmed report, T-Mobile is going to remedy the G1's marginal battery life by sending everyone who owns this device a se
12. UIQ Technology Files for Bankruptcy 1/5/2009
UIQ Technology, the company responsible for developing and licensing the UIQ user interface for Symbian smartphones, has filed for bankruptc
According to rumor, Palm's first device running its new operating system will resemble the iPhone but with a sliding keyboard.
14. Verizon and Alltel Merger Coming this Week 1/5/2009
Verizon's acquisition of Alltel will happen later this week, creating the largest mobile phone provider in the United States.
There's little room for doubt that T-Mobile USA will launch the BlackBerry Curve 8900 in the near future. Exactly when that's going to happe
16. iPhone Tethering Plan Could Debut this Week 1/5/2009
AT&T may be just around the corner from its promise to allow its customers to use an iPhone as a modem for their laptop.
17. Acer and Asus Subnotebooks Showing Strong Sales 1/6/2009
Both Acer and Asus experienced strong sales of their subnotebooks at the end of 2008, and are increasing their predicted sales volumes for 2
Garmin has released some screenshots showing off the user interface for its upcoming GPS-enabled quasi-smartphone.
19. HTC Touch Diamond Available Unlocked for Under $400 1/6/2009
The HTC Touch Diamond was one of the hottest Windows Mobile devices of 2008, and this consumer-oriented smartphone is now available unlocked
20. HTC Unveils S743 Smartphone for the U.S. 1/6/2009
HTC has just announced plans to release a new Windows Mobile smartphone in the United States. The S743 will offer both a numberpad and a sep
Pharos has taken the wraps off the Traveler 137, a Windows Mobile smartphone with a WVGA touchscreen, 3G, and a focus on navigation.
22. No iPhone Nano Announcement at MacWorld Expo 1/6/2009
Apple's keynote address at the MacWorld Expo has concluded without the rumored announcement of an iPhone Nano. Still, it's possible this sma
23. Apple Removes DRM Restrictions from iTunes 1/6/2009
Apple announced today that the entire iTunes library will be available without the unpopular restrictions on copying files that were previou
24. T-Mobile Commits to the BlackBerry Curve 8900 1/7/2009
T-Mobile USA has just confirmed the numerous rumors that it will introduce the latest model in the BlackBerry Curve series next month.
25. A First Look at the HTC Iolite 1/7/2009
An online retailer has given the world its first glimpse of the HTC Iolite, which will apparently be a mid-range Windows Mobile smartphone.
26. HP Unveils Mini 2140, a New Low-Cost Subnotebook 1/7/2009
Starting at 2.6 pounds and $500, the HP Mini 2140 will feature an all-aluminum case, 1.6 GHz Intel Atom processor, Wi-Fi, and a 10.1-inch sc
27. Pocket Player 4.0 Now Available for Windows Mobile 1/7/2009
Conduits Technologies has released Pocket Player 4.0, an alternative media player for Windows Mobile which features AAC and enhanced MP3 fil
Sling Media has announced that it will deliver a version of SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone to Apple for certification during the first quarte
29. New Redfly PC Software and Smartphone Dock Coming 1/7/2009
Celio Corp, maker of the Redfly Smartphone Terminal, has announced a pair of similar products: the Redfly PC Software and the Redfly Smartph
Nokia has reportedly discontinued the recently released N810 WiMax Edition Internet Tablet.
A server-side update to the Google Maps Mobile application makes it easier to get directions to businesses.
32. Nokia Confirms E63 for North American Markets 1/8/2009
A N. American edition of the E63 has been announced. This Symbian S60 QWERTY smartphone will be sold unlocked, but for a low price.
33. T-Mobile Shadow II Is Now Official 1/8/2009
The device that will be the replacement for the T-Mobile Shadow has been officially announced. It will have much in common with its predeces
34. Palm Unveils the Pre Smartphone 1/8/2009
Palm has announced its new Pre smartphone. A touchscreen device with a sliding keyboard, the Pre will use the just as new Palm webOS.
35. Palm webOS Announced 1/8/2009
36. Nokia Mobile Site Adds New Here & Now Section 1/9/2009
Nokia has added a new section to its mobile website called Here & Now which provides the latest world news, music, celebrity buzz, as well a
37. There'll Be Fewer Windows Mobile Models in the Future 1/10/2009
Microsoft is going to implement a new strategy for smartphones: in the future, there will be fewer models running Windows Mobile.
38. Palm Pre and webOS Preview 1/11/2009
At long last, Palm, Inc. has unveiled its new operating system and the first device that will run it. Brighthand's Ed Hardy has been extensi
39. Palm Pre Wins Three Best of CES Awards 1/12/2009
The Palm Pre was officially unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show, and the editors at CNET have given this smartphone three Best of CES
40. Nokia Remains Committed to Internet Tablets 1/12/2009
Despite Nokia's discontinuing of the N810 WiMax Edition Internet Tablet, the company remains confident in this device platform and goal.
41. Palm Treo Pro for Sprint Gets FCC Approval 1/12/2009
A CDMA version of Palm's Treo Pro -- a device expected to debut from Sprint in the near future -- has received its necessary approval from t
A roadmap showing what appears to be every smartphone that HTC has in development has leaked out of the company. This includes at least one
BlackBerry smartphone users can now hear their favorite Slacker radio stations wherever they go, with the new -- and free -- Slacker Mobile
44. iPhone Nano Rumors Persist; Now Expected this Summer 1/13/2009
Even though MacWorld Expo has come and gone without the anticipated announcement of the iPhone Nano, rumors still persist that Apple intends
45. Pharos Traveler 137 Preview 1/13/2009
Pharos Traveler 137 will be a Windows Mobile smartphone with a WVGA touchscreen, 3G, and a focus on navigation. Brighthand's Ed Hardy has a
46. Major Firmware Update for Nokia E71 Released 1/14/2009
Nokia has released a significant firmware update for both the Euro and N. American versions of its QWERTY smartphone, the E71.
47. Apple Approves Multiple iPhone Web Browser Enhancements 1/14/2009
Apple appears to have had a change in policy, and has recently allowed several applications that enhance the the iPhone's web browser for to
48. Analyst Calls a Dell Smartphone ''Inevitable'' 1/14/2009
At least once a year, a new round of rumors crop up that Dell is going to release its first smartphone. A new research note from an industry
49. Asus Working on the Eee Phone 1/14/2009
Asus has made big splash with its Eee PC line of inexpensive subnotebooks and desktops, and now is developing a smartphone for this line.
Nokia looks to increase developer flexibility with its Qt framework by adding the LGPL Open Source Licensing option to it.
One of the more controversial features of Palm's new webOS is something it doesn't offer: a way to run Palm OS applications. However, StyleT
52. Moving to Symbian S60: Social Networking 1/15/2009
Antoine Wright takes a look at some of the more interesting social networking applications for Symbian S60 smartphones.
53. Prototype Android Version of the Redfly Demoed 1/15/2009
Celio Corp. is early in the process of making the software that would allow Android-based device to connect to the Redfly Smartphone Termina
The Kogan Agora would have been the second Android-based smartphone on the market, but the company behind it has decided to delay the launch
55. HTC Touch HD, Xperia X1 Now Easily Available 1/16/2009
Two high-end Windows Mobile devices that were hard to get during the holiday shopping season are now easily available. One of them is even o
It appears that Sprint's version of the HTC Touch Diamond will be one of the few current models to get an upgrade to the latest version of I
StyleTap Inc. has released a preview version of its emulator for Symbian OS, which allows smartphones running S60 and UIQ to run software wr
58. Small Update for Unlocked HTC Touch Diamond Released 1/17/2009
HTC has released an update for the system software on the unlocked version of the Touch Diamond. This fixes a small collection of bugs in th
59. T-Mobile G1 Update Now Expected by End of January 1/18/2009
A highly-anticipated software update for the T-Mobile G1 which will add an on-screen keyboard is now expected to be released before the end
60. How To Turn a BlackBerry into a GooglePhone 1/18/2009
BlackBerry users who are feeling a touch jealous of Google's Android OS can turn to a suite of free applications that convert their smartpho
61. Samsung Prepping an Android Smartphone for Sprint 1/19/2009
Samsung is currently working on a smartphone running Google's Android OS which will be released later this year by two U.S. wireless carrier
62. HTC S740 Review 1/19/2009
The S740 is a Windows Mobile Standard smartphone with both a QWERTY keyboard and a numberpad. Jen Edwards brings us this review.
63. Windows Mobile 6.5 Debuting Next Month? 1/20/2009
Microsoft is going to unveil the next version of Windows Mobile at a tradeshow next month, if an unconfirmed report is correct. This will su
64. Desktop Sync Software Coming to Palm's webOS 1/20/2009
CompanionLink Software has announced plans to release desktop synchronization software for devices running the new webOS, including the upco
65. Skydeck Mobile Dashboard Launches Public Beta 1/20/2009
Skydeck launches a beta version of its web-enabled dashboard that enables users to make and manage calls and other mobile data from a browse
66. A Second Glimpse of the Android-Powered HTC Sapphire 1/21/2009
An image has emerged that appears to give the best view yet of the HTC Sapphire, an upcoming smartphone based on Google's Android.
67. Windows Mobile 6.5 May Not Debut Until this Summer 1/21/2009
Recent reports indicate that Microsoft intends to announce an update for Windows Mobile next month, but that doesn't mean the first devices
The European version of the N95 8GB has received a firmware update to version 31.0.015.
69. Sprint Now Offering Palm Treo Pro *Updated* 1/22/2009
The Treo Pro has just made it's long-awaited debut from Sprint. This is Palm's latest Windows Mobile smartphone, with 3G, Wi-Fi, GPS,and a b
70. Apple Says ''No'' to Low-Cost iPhone 1/22/2009
Apple's acting CEO has flatly stated that his company isn't going to release a less expensive version of its smartphone, dealing a blow to r
A possible update for the BlackBerry Storm has been leaked to the Internet. This features a portrait-oriented QWERTY keyboard, as well as ot
72. Access' ALP Appears... in a Camera? 1/22/2009
Despite not shipping in a smartphone or PDA in N. America, Access Linux Platform (ALP) has made an appearance with Sony's CyberShot DSC-G3 m
73. Truphone Anywhere Brings VoIP to Android/T-Mobile G1 1/23/2009
Truphone, a popular VoIP service for mobile devices, has launched an Android-compatible version of its software.
74. T-Mobile Shadow II Preview 1/23/2009
T-Mobile has announced, but not yet released, the successor to the Shadow. Brighthand's Ed Hardy brings us a quick video preview of the devi
75. Details Emerging on the Next Android Update 1/23/2009
Significant -- albeit unofficial -- new details are now available on an upcoming update to the Android OS and the T-Mobile G1. When this upd
76. Sprint May Not Launch Palm Treo Pro Until Feb. 15 1/24/2009
Despite briefly listing the Treo Pro on its web site this week, Sprint may have pushed back the release of Palm's latest Windows Mobile smar
77. T-Mobile G1 Now Available in All T-Mobile Stores 1/24/2009
Previously, the only stores that sold the T-Mobile G1 were ones located in areas that this carrier offers 3G service, but this has now chang
It has been rumored for sometime that Nokia's popular E71 will be making its way to AT&T, and now there is not only proof that it will do so
79. Verizon XV6900 Finally Joins the Windows Mobile 6.1 Club 1/25/2009
The Verizon XV6900, this carrier's version of the HTC Touch, has received its long-awaited upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.1. As part of this, t
Verizon Wireless has just begun offering the Network Extender, an accessory that acts as a personal cell phone tower, allowing the user to m
81. A First Glimpse of Windows Mobile 6.5's New Look 1/26/2009
The official announcement of Windows Mobile 6.5 is expected soon, and details are starting to slip out. The latest leak takes the form of a
Brighthand's BlackBerry expert, Shaun Mahal, brings us a comparison of two recent Blackberry models, the Bold vs. the Storm.
83. Don't Forget About Brighthand's RSS Feed 1/26/2009
Brighthand offers an RSS feed with links to its recent news stories, reviews, and editorials. This provides links to the fifteen recent arti
84. Get 15% Off All Proporta's Accessories Today Only 1/27/2009
Today is Lewis Carroll's birthday, and to celebrate the British retailer Proporta is offering everyone 15% off the price of its entire line
85. BlackBerry Storm's Problems Have Hurt Sales 1/27/2009
The BlackBerry Storm was one the most highly-anticipated smartphones to debut last fall. But initial problems with this device have slowed s
86. Teksoft BlueInput for Windows Mobile Review 1/27/2009
Teksoft makes a useful application for those people who want to use their smartphone as a laptop alternative. BlueInput lets Windows Mobile
According to Apple, version 2.2.1 of the iPhone system software makes the Safari web browser more stable.
88. T-Mobile Shadow II Now Available 1/28/2009
The T-Mobile Shadow II has just launched. Obviously, this Windows Mobile smartphone has a great deal in common with the original Shadow, but
89. Acer Will Unveil New Smartphones in Mid-February 1/28/2009
Acer has invited journalists to an event next month where it will introduce a new line of smartphones.
90. Firmware Updates Now Available for Nokia N82 and N78 1/28/2009
Over the month of January, Nokia has released firmware updates for several of its models, and most recently the N82 and N78 candybar smartph
91. BlackBerry Storm Passes the 1 Million Mark 1/28/2009
U.S. consumers have picked up a million BlackBerry Storm smartphones since this model debuted in late November. This device is clearly selli
92. QuickOffice 6 for Symbian S60 Released 1/29/2009
QuickOffice has released version 6 of its office productivity suite for Symbian S60 devices, featuring the ability to read and create Micros
Deep in the iPhone's system software is a clear reference to the next version of this smartphone, a model whose multi-core processor could m
94. Samsung Propel Pro Heading to AT&T 1/29/2009
A model that appeared last fall as a simple featurephone is apparently getting an upgrade to a Windows Mobile smartphone. The Propel Pro wil
95. Redefining the Smartphone 1/29/2009
Antoine Wright is proposing a new definition of a "smartphone", one that takes into account more than just the device's features, but also w
Verizon's product road-map for 2009 has leaked out, and versions of the HTC Touch HD and BlackBerry Bold are supposedly on it, along with a
97. Dell May Finally Be Close to Releasing a Smartphone 1/29/2009
Dell has reportedly put extensive time and effort into releasing smartphones based on either Windows Mobile or Android, with an announcement
98. Access a PC Desktop from an iPhone with LogMeIn Ignition 1/30/2009
Mobile professionals and IT service providers can now remotely control computers from their Apple iPhone using LogMeIn Ignition.
99. Details Leak Out on the T-Mobile Sidekick LX 2009 1/30/2009
The T-Mobile Sidekick models have sometime been dismissed as "kiddie" smartphones, but the next version appears ready to play in the big lea
100. Apple iPod touch (Gen 2) Review 1/30/2009
The second-generation iPod touch offers a slimmed down look, substantially improved battery life, and a wide range of software options. Is t
more than 100 focused websites providing quick access to a deep store of
news, advice and analysis about the technologies, products and processes crucial
to the jobs of IT pros.
All Rights Reserved, Copyright 2000 - 2013, TechTarget | Read our Privacy Statement