Listed below are all of our news and reviews articles for October 2008. If you are looking for an article on a particular day or on a particular topic, you can use the menu on the right to narrow your search
2008 ArticlesJanuary | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December |
October 2008 Topics
SmartPhone Articles for October of 2008
Below are the 104 SmartPhone articles for October of 2008
1. Adobe Has Flash Player for iPhone Almost Ready 10/1/2008
Adobe has nearly completed work on a Flash player for the iPhone, but it is Apple's decision whether this app ever gets released.
2. Will Microsoft Make Windows Mobile Free? 10/1/2008
Google and Nokia are trying something unusual with their mobile operating systems: they are going to give them away for free. This raises th
3. A Look Ahead at Smartphones Coming this Quarter 10/1/2008
October is the beginning of a new quarter, and there are a number of smartphones scheduled to be released in the next three months.
Google-philes will find plenty to like in the first Android powered smartphone, but Mobile managers will have little interest in the new pho
5. OtterBox for BlackBerry Bold Coming Soon 10/2/2008
Otter Products is putting the finishing touches on a semi-rugged, drop and scratch-proof OtterBox case for the BlackBerry Bold.
6. AT&T May Be Prepping the Samsung Epix 10/2/2008
Strong evidence has emerged that AT&T is preparing to launch the successor to the Samsung BlackJack II in the next few weeks. This will supp
Nokia has announced a touchscreen-enabled update to its Symbian S60 operating system, as well as a new mobile device which takes advantage o
8. Handy Shell for S60 Comes Out of Beta 10/3/2008
Handy Shell is an Active Screen replacement application for Symbian S60 devices which offers advanced functionality and shortcuts.
The Pandora was created to be a handheld gaming platform, but its keyboard and powerful processor allows it to be used for productivity apps
10. There Can Be More Than One 10/3/2008
Despite what's said in arguments that flare up from time to time, no operating system is going to come to dominate smartphones the way Micro
11. T-Mobile Struggling to Keep up with Demand for G1 10/4/2008
Demand for the T-Mobile G1 is strong enough that this carrier has sold out of all the units allocated for pre-sale.
Nokia has debuted its Comes With Music service in the UK featuring a 12 month unlimited download period and over 3 million songs from variou
Paragon Software has released a German Explanatory Dictionary called Duden for Apple's handheld and smartphone.
14. WSJ Says HP Prepping New Consumer-Oriented Smartphone 10/6/2008
HP will soon introduce a new consumer-oriented iPAQ smartphone, which could be a device code-named the Oak which surfaced early this year.
15. Xperia X1 Scores FCC Approval 10/6/2008
The Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 has received approval from the FCC, an important hurdle in the process of being released in the United States.
16. iPhone 3G Tops the U.S. List of Consumer Smartphones 10/6/2008
The latest from Apple was the best-selling smartphone sold to consumers during the summer of this year. This was followed up by devices from
17. RIM Explains BlackBerry Bold Delays 10/6/2008
According to one of RIM's co-CEOs, the highly-anticipated BlackBerry Bold is tied up in AT&T's certification process.
18. Samsung Omnia Gets Its FCC Approval 10/7/2008
Those waiting for a version of the Samsung Omnia with support for N. American 3G frequencies might not have to wait much longer.
19. Early Version of Mobile Firefox Will Be Released Soon 10/7/2008
The long wait for Firefox Mobile is almost over. The Mozilla Foundation will make an alpha version of this web browser available to anyone b
20. BlackBerry Getting an iPhone-like App Store 10/7/2008
Along with a touchscreen-based smartphone, RIM is reportedly readying an software store to rival Apple's App Store called the BlackBerry App
21. HTC Touch HD Not Coming to the U.S. 10/7/2008
HTC has revealed that its upcoming cutting-edge smartphone the Touch HD won't be released in the United States. This device is still on trac
22. Increase the Storage Capacity of an Eee PC to 64 GB 10/7/2008
Super Talent Technology has just announced a new line of solid state drives (SSDs) that were designed explicitly to increase the storage cap
23. BlackBerry Storm Officially Unveiled 10/7/2008
The first BlackBerry with a touchscreen is no longer only a rumor; it has been officially announced by by mobile phone companies on both sid
24. BlackBerry Pearl 8110 Now Available in Pink 10/8/2008
AT&T is now offering the BlackBerry Pearl 8110 in a new color: pink.
25. AT&T's Pantech Duo Gets Windows Mobile 6.1 Upgrade 10/8/2008
The latest addition to the long list of smartphones getting a Windows Mobile 6.1 upgrade is the Pantech Duo C810, which is offered by AT&T.
26. Pricing Leaked for AT&T's Touch Pro and Samsung Epix 10/8/2008
A vital piece of information has leaked out about a pair of smartphones that are expected to be debuting from AT&T in the coming weeks: thei
27. First Glimpse of Verizon's Samsung i770 10/9/2008
Verizon Wireless appears to be getting close to releasing the Samsung i770, a Windows Mobile 6.1 smartphone that may replace the i760 even t
28. Motorola Q 11 Coming in December 10/9/2008
Motorola has unveiled a latest in its venerable Q series of of smartphones. The Q 11 will offer Wi-Fi, GPS, but not 3G.
When Spb Software launched Spb Online several weeks ago it included a collection of online games. The company has now decided to offer this
30. LG May Be Prepping a Windows Mobile Smartphone 10/9/2008
If an unconfirmed report is correct, LG's first smartphone with Windows Mobile designed for the U.S. market will soon be released.
31. Digia Releases @Web: New Web Browser for UIQ 10/10/2008
Digia has released @Web, a web browser for UIQ smartphones that has been designed to be fully controllable with a finger touch.
32. i.TV Introduces TV and Movie Guide for iPhone/iPod touch 10/10/2008
i.TV has released an interactive TV and movie guide application for iPhone/iPod touch devices.
As RIM tries to build a thriving third-party application ecosystem for the BlackBerry, the company and its independent software vendor partn
34. Nokia Releases Beta 3 of its New Email Application 10/10/2008
A new beta of the Nokia Email service has been released, adding additional device support, multiple email accounts support, and mailbox mana
35. Widen Your Choices with Unlocked Smartphones 10/10/2008
Brighthand's Editor-In-Chief uses his latest editorial to try to be sure those who are in the market for a new smartphone are aware of a lit
36. Scheduled Forum Maintenance Tomorrow Morning *UPDATED* 10/10/2008
The Brighthand forums will be undergoing routine maintenance for several hours on Saturday, October 11.
The BlackBerry Bold, Storm, and Pearl Flip are still in the process of being rolled out, and the first report of the smartphone that's going
Paragon Software releases a Talking English Dictionary for Apple's smartphones and handhelds.
39. HTC May Be Bringing Out Its First Smartphone with WiMAX 10/12/2008
HTC has unveiled the Quartz, its first Windows Mobile device with the 4G wireless service WiMAX.
Demand for the T-Mobile G1 is high enough that 1.5 million of them have already been pre-ordered, sight unseen. The only other smartphone ha
An application that will allow Apple's smartphone to run Windows Mobile -- and its associated software -- will soon be available. If it isn'
42. BlackBerry Pearl Flip Launching Today 10/13/2008
The first BlackBerry with a clamshell design is now available in the United States, exclusively from T-Mobile.
43. First ALP-Powered Smartphone Debuting this Month 10/13/2008
The first smartphone running Access's ALP -- one of the successors to the Palm OS -- should be out in October. This device will have a very
44. Verizon Getting the Samsung Omnia 10/13/2008
Strong evidence has emerged that Verizon is going to pick up a touchscreen-oriented Windows Mobile smartphone from Samsung.
45. LG Announces Second Generation Prada Phone 10/14/2008
The second generation of the Prada aims to build on the former's functionality with a new sliding keyboard, 7.2 Mbps HSDPA connectivity, and
46. Sprint Releasing Palm Centro in New Colors, More Storage 10/14/2008
Palm, Inc. has just announced that Sprint's version of the Centro will soon be available in two new shades: olive green and vibrant rose. Th
47. Reading Shouldn't Require an Interface 10/14/2008
In Antoine Wright's latest editorial, he questions why reading with mobile devices have so many layers interfering with what is considered a
48. OLO Computer Previews a Netbook Companion for the iPhone 10/15/2008
An image of a iPhone dock/smartphone accessory, similar to the Celio Redfly, has been making the rounds. However, contrary to published repo
49. Firmware Update for Nokia E90 Released 10/16/2008
The Nokia E90 clamshell smartphone has received an update to version 300.34.84, adding new applications and fixing some issues with device p
50. Winterface Updated with Weather Information 10/16/2008
VITO Technology has released a free weather information appliction, which also functions as a update for Winterface, its mobile shell for Wi
51. Samsung Ace Gets Windows Mobile 6.1 Upgrade, GPS Support 10/16/2008
The latest smartphone to get a Windows Mobile 6.1 upgrade is Sprint's Samsung Ace. Easily the most significant enhancement in this is suppor
52. AT&T Quicksilver Brings 3G to Laptops and Subnotebooks 10/16/2008
AT&T has released the USBConnect Quicksilver, the newest addition to this wireless carrier's High Speed Packet Access (HSPA)-capable lineup
53. Palm Releasing New Centro Accessories 10/16/2008
Palm has unveiled several custom-designed accessories for its Centro smartphone line.
An FCC proposal to create a wireless data network that would cover most of the U.S. has passed another hurdle.
55. BlueMaemo Turns Internet Tablets into Input Devices 10/20/2008
BlueMaemo is a utility application that turns Nokia's N800 and N810 Internet Tablet devices into a keyboard/mouse accessory through the HID
56. XBox Live Client Now Available for BlackBerries 10/20/2008
Xberry Live is a free, BlackBerry application that lets XBox Live users check on their accounts from their smartphone.
A basic description of Motorola's first smartphone running Google's Android operating system has leaked out.
58. Big News on Two Mobile Web Browsers: Firefox and Opera 10/20/2008
There's significant developments from two web browsers that have jumped from the desktop to the palmtop.
59. Samsung Epix Launches on AT&T 10/21/2008
AT&T has just released the Samsung Epix, a Windows Mobile smartphone that includes both a touchscreen and an optical mouse.
60. T-Mobile Preparing for G1 Launch Day 10/21/2008
The T-Mobile G1 -- the highly-anticipated very first smartphone running Android -- is going to launch tomorrow, and this wireless provider i
61. HP Unveils Two iPAQ Smartphones 10/21/2008
HP has just taken the wraps off two new Windows Mobile smartphones: the iPAQ Data Messenger and the iPAQ Voice Messenger.
Famous developer Dmitry Grinberg has announced plans to create an operating system compatible with Palm OS hardware and applications, but wi
63. BlackBerry Bold Will Debut Early Next Month 10/22/2008
AT&T has just announced the date the BlackBerry Bold will debut in the U.S. This highly-anticipated smartphone will offer a number of firsts
64. Apple Sells 6.8 Million iPhones in 3 Months 10/22/2008
Apple, Inc. saw tremendous growth in the number of iPhones sold last quarter, and AT&T is reaping benefits from this smartphone, too.
65. Information Newly Leaked on the Nokia E63 10/22/2008
New information leaked on the unannounced Nokia E63 sheds light on the physical design and many of the specifications of this Symbian S60 sm
Texas Instruments has released its Wi-Fi and Bluetooth software drivers for use with Android-powered devices.
67. New Edition of ALP Targets New Types of Devices 10/23/2008
Access Co., Ltd. has introduced a new version of its Linux-based operating system for smartphones. It has also unveiled an edition of ALP t
68. Android Can Not Run Applications from a Memory Card 10/23/2008
The first Android-based smartphone debuted this week, and users have discovered what many will consider a significant flaw: all applications
69. Samsung Omnia i900 Review 10/23/2008
The Omnia is a Windows Mobile smartphone that's brave enough to go head-to-head with the iPhone. Brighthand's Adama Brown weighs in with his
70. Sprint Launching HTC Touch Pro Next Week 10/24/2008
Sprint has just revealed the details on its plans to release the HTC Touch Pro, a high-end Windows Mobile smartphone with a sliding keyboard
The current global economic condition has made it harder for smaller companies to acquire funding/investments. How will mobile device makers
72. Updated Gmail Client Released for BlackBerry and Java Phones 10/24/2008
Google has introduced Gmail for mobile 2.0, an email client for BlackBerries and J2ME-compliant phones. The focus for this version was to ma
Lee Williams has been nominated to be the Executive Director for the group that will make the Symbian OS, S60, and UIQ into an open-source o
74. Some Windows Mobile 6.0 Upgrades Disappearing Nov. 1 10/25/2008
Both Palm and HTC are warning their customers that operating system upgrades for some of their older models will soon no longer be available
RIM has confirmed earlier reports that it will create an online marketplace for BlackBerry applications similar to Apple's App Store for the
76. First Thoughts from the New Chief of the Windows Mobile Team 10/26/2008
The new head of Microsoft's Mobile Communications Product Group has laid out in general terms his company's plans for Windows Mobile.
77. Sprint CEO Says Android Isn't Good Enough Yet 10/26/2008
Sprint is a prominent member of the group behind the Android operating system, but Sprint subscribers shouldn't hold their breathe for a sma
78. Google Earth Now Available for iPhone/iPod Touch 10/27/2008
Google has released a version of its Google Earth application for Apple's iPhone and iPod Touch.
79. BlackBerry Storm May Launch in Mid November 10/27/2008
Although Verizon has committed to releasing the first BlackBerry with a touchscreen, the carrier has been a bit vague on when this will happ
Sony Ericsson has asked Spb Software to develop a user interface panel for the Xperia X1. This will be based on Spb Mobile Shell, this compa
81. A Look Ahead at Three Smartphones Coming Soon to Verizon 10/27/2008
Verizon Wireless is reportedly prepping a trio of Windows Mobile-based devices that will debut next month.
82. Truphone Releases Beta BlackBerry VoIP Client 10/27/2008
Truphone has released a beta version of its popular VoIP client for BlackBerry devices.
83. AT&T May Introduce the HTC Touch Pro Next Week 10/28/2008
AT&T will soon become the latest wireless carrier to release a business-oriented Windows Mobile smartphone from HTC... if unconfirmed report
84. iambic's GoogHelper and Tipper Now Available for Android 10/28/2008
iambic has released its first two applications for Android-powered phones. GoogHelper is a mobile search launcher and Tipper is a split tip
85. T-Mobile G1 Coming to Wal-Mart at a Discount 10/28/2008
Wal-Mart will soon begin offering the first Android-based smartphone at a price about 17% less than the regular cost.
86. HTC Touch Diamond for Sprint Review 10/28/2008
Sprint recently released the Touch Diamond, a consumer-oriented smartphone with a VGA screen, 4 GB of storage, and EV-DO. Antoine Wright bri
87. Palm Treo Pro Now Available for Nearly 10% Off 10/29/2008
Palm's latest smartphone -- the Treo Pro -- is now available from a couple of sources for $50 off the regular price.
VITO Technology has released an online project and task management utility called Task2Gather.
Griffin Technology has introduced iTalk, a free application for the iPhone and iPod touch that allows users to create high-quality recording
Microsoft is currently running an unusual promotion for Windows Mobile on Ellen DeGeneres' talk show.
91. Samsung C6620 Scores FCC Approval 10/29/2008
A new Windows Mobile smartphone from Samsung has received its FCC approval, but there's reason to doubt whether it will be released in the U
92. Motorola Going to Focus on Android 10/29/2008
Motorola's future flagship phones will run Android. Going forward, Google's new operating system will be one of just three supported by this
A new, significantly enhanced, version of Microsoft's web browser for smartphones should be available for some models before the end of this
94. HP Launches Mini 1000 Subnotebook 10/29/2008
HP has introduced the Mini 1000, a consumer-oriented subnotebook which is now available starting at $400.
95. Asus Getting on the Android Bandwagon 10/30/2008
Asus is reportedly going to release a smartphone running Google's new mobile operating system some time next year.
96. Garmin Nuvifone Still Scheduled for Release in 2009 10/30/2008
Despite multiple delays, Garmin says it is still committed to releasing its phone/GPS combo next year.
97. Small Bug-Fix Update Being Pushed Out to T-Mobile G1 10/30/2008
Several small updates for the first Android-based phone have been released in the last few days, although the latest of these has not yet re
98. iPhone, BlackBerry Users Get Free Wi-Fi Service from AT&T 10/30/2008
Access to AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots is now available for Apple iPhone customers for free. The same will soon be true for AT&T subscribers who have
99. Nokia's N85 North American Edition Gains FCC Approval 10/30/2008
The Nokia N85 North American Edition has passed FCC testing, and this Smymbian smartphone with an OLED display should soon be appearing in s
100. Motorola Executive Outs Windows Mobile 6.5 10/30/2008
Sanjay Jha, the head of Motorola's mobile device division, has revealed for the first time the existence of a previously unknown upcoming ve
101. Redfly $200 Special Almost Over *UPDATED* 10/30/2008
The Celio Redfly is currently available for $200, but at the end of this month it will revert to its regular, much higher price.
102. Ghostwire Wins Nokia's Mobile Games Innovation Challenge 10/31/2008
Nokia has named the winners in its Mobile Games Innovation Challenge. These are games that the judges think will push the limits of mobile g
103. Sprint Accidentally Confirms Plans to Release Palm Treo Pro 10/31/2008
Sprint's website has an unambiguous reference to the Palm Treo Pro, in what is apparently a signal that this carrier is going to introduce a
104. Apple Blocking Opera Mini for iPhone 10/31/2008
Opera Software has created a version of Opera mini for the iPhone, but Apple is preventing the release of this browser.
more than 100 focused websites providing quick access to a deep store of
news, advice and analysis about the technologies, products and processes crucial
to the jobs of IT pros.
All Rights Reserved, Copyright 2000 - 2013, TechTarget | Read our Privacy Statement