Listed below are all of our news and reviews articles for December 2008. If you are looking for an article on a particular day or on a particular topic, you can use the menu on the right to narrow your search
2008 ArticlesJanuary | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December |
December 2008 Topics
SmartPhone Articles for December of 2008
Below are the 98 SmartPhone articles for December of 2008
RIM and Verizon are reportedly getting ready to release a software update for the new BlackBerry Storm that will fix many of the issues that
Each month, Brighthand publishes a list of the handhelds and smartphones that readers have shown the most interest in during the preceding f
3. Palm Warns Revenue Way Below Expectations 12/2/2008
Palm, Inc. says that revenue for its last financial quarter was well below what analysts were expecting, a shortfall which it primarily blam
4. Nokia N97 Unveiled 12/2/2008
Nokia had announced the N97, a top-of-the-line smartphone featuring a touchscreen, sliding keyboard, and a host of sensors and wireless conn
5. Motorola Alexander and Attila Coming Next Quarter 12/2/2008
Two smartphones from Motorola that surfaced over the summer as rumors are reportedly now scheduled to be released in the first few months of
6. Nokia Messaging Now Available as Beta 12/2/2008
Nokia has just launched a beta of Nokia Messaging, a free consumer-oriented push email service for its smartphones. This will eventually off
7. Nokia Maps Gets New Features 12/2/2008
Nokia has released a new beta version of its mobile mapping and navigation application for smartphones, Nokia Maps, as well as its online ma
8. Nokia Now Owns the Symbian OS... Temporarily Anyway 12/3/2008
Nokia has completed its offer to acquire Symbian Limited, the company responsible for the development of the Symbian operating system. This
9. HTC Acquires One & Co. Design 12/3/2008
HTC has acquired the San Francisco-based firm One & Company Design. The two have been collaborating since 2006, and jointly created the desi
10. T-Mobile Shadow II Scores FCC Approval 12/3/2008
A device that will apparently be the replacement for the T-Mobile Shadow has received its required approval from the FCC.
11. BlackBerry Revenues Not Meeting Expectations 12/3/2008
Research In Motion has warned investors that revenue for last quarter from its BlackBerry line isn't going to meet its earlier expectations.
12. Is It Safe To Take the T-Mobile G1 Out of the U.S.? 12/3/2008
It may be impossible to take the T-Mobile G1 outside of the United States without incurring roaming charges.
13. Verizon Drops Samsung Omnia Price 12/4/2008
Verizon has already cut the price of its version of the Samsung Omnia, even though it just launched this touchscreen-oriented Windows Mobile
Easy Wi-Fi for AT&T takes the hassle out of accessing an AT&T hotspot with an iPhone.
15. A Second Android-Based Smartphone Unveiled 12/4/2008
People around the world who would like a device running Google's Android OS will soon have another option than the T-Mobile G1. The Kogan Ag
Sprint customers with a Samsung Instinct already could already access their email and contacts from Exchange or Domino, and they can now acc
17. Smartphone Sales Increasing, Just Not as Much as Usual 12/4/2008
Sales of smartphones worldwide increased year-on-year last quarter, but at a much slower rate than this market has become accustomed to.
18. HP Voice Messenger Debuts 12/4/2008
The latest Windows Mobile smartphone from HP is now aailable from Vodafone. The Voice Messenger has a keyboard, QVGA screen, and plenty of w
19. AT&T Cutting 12,000 Jobs 12/4/2008
AT&T Inc. today announced that it is going to lay off about 4% of its total workforce. However, is some parts of its business, such as its w
20. New Pictures of the Unannounced Nokia E75 Appear 12/5/2008
Pictures of a side-slider smartphone from Nokia, the E75, have been leaked. This Symbian S60 device will apparently sport both a keyboard an
21. Handy Alarm Pro for Symbian S60 Debuts 12/5/2008
Paragon Software Group has released Handy Alarm Pro for Symbian S60 smartphones.
22. Truphone Turns the iPod Touch into a Phone 12/5/2008
Truphone has released a free VoIP application specially created for the second-generation iPod touch.
A high-level AT&T executive says his company is going to reduce the number of mobile operating systems it employs. And Symbian may have a bi
24. LG Incite Preliminary Review 12/5/2008
The LG Incite is a new touchscreen, Windows Mobile device offered by AT&T. Featuring a finger-customized interface, haptics, and multiple wi
25. BlackBerry Storm Updated to Improve Performance 12/5/2008
RIM and Verizon Wireless have released a much-anticipated update for the new BlackBerry Storm that is expected to fix many of the problems e
26. Nokia Releases Series 40 6th Edition SDK 12/6/2008
Nokia has released a new software development kit (SDK) for its Series 40 6th Edition mobile devices.
27. Android-Based HTC Dream Available Unlocked 12/6/2008
Many who are interested in Google's Android OS have been blocked from using it because it's currently available only on the T-Mobile G1. For
As it stands now, using a mobile phone drains its battery. A new discovery could lead to phones that get charged whenever they are used.
There have been some delays, but Acer remains committed to introducing a Windows Mobile smartphone in the first quarter of next year.
30. iPhone Coming to Wal-Mart... Possibly at $99 12/8/2008
Wal-Mart may soon begin offering Apple's iPhone, if unconfirmed reports are correct. And there has been speculation that this smartphone wil
The first SDK for Maemo 5, Nokia's Internet Tablet Linux-based operating system, has been released to platform developers.
32. N. American Version of Nokia N85 Now Shipping 12/9/2008
A North American 3G variant of one of Nokia's most anticipated models, the N85, is now available. This Symbian S60 smartphone has an OLED sc
A number of well-known companies have joined the Open Handset Alliance, the Google-led group responsible for the Android OS.
34. BlackBerry Storm 9530 Review 12/9/2008
The Storm is the first BlackBerry with a touchscreen, and Brighthand's Shaun Mahal brings us a review of Verizon's version of this highly-an
35. Interview with Best Buy Mobile VP Scott Moore 12/10/2008
Brighthand's Ed Hardy recently spoke with a senior executive at Best Buy Mobile about shopping for mobile phones in the U.S.
36. Get 50% Off Selected Palm OS Apps in the Brighthand Store 12/10/2008
The Brighthand Store is now offering 25 of the best-selling Palm applications for 50% off. Included in this deal are Ringo Pro, PdaNet, Soft
37. T-Mobile Warns G1 Users that Apps Can Incur Roaming Charges 12/10/2008
T-Mobile has responded to last week's reports that its G1 Android-based smartphone can't be taken out of the U.S. without incurring data roa
38. Palm Promises ''New-ness'' at Invitation-Only CES Event 12/10/2008
Palm Inc. is sending out notices to media outlets for an invitation-only event the company plans to hold during the 2009 Consumer Electronic
39. MiFi Mobile Hotspot Will Bring 3G To All Wi-Fi Devices 12/11/2008
Novatel has announced the MiFi, a small and portable Wi-Fi hotspot that will have a built-in 3G cellular-wireless access.
40. Google Maps for Windows Mobile, S60 Get Street View 12/11/2008
Google Maps for mobile 2.3 has been released for Windows Mobile and Symbian S60. The primary new feature in this free navigation software is
41. Rebate Makes the Redfly C7 Available for $30 Less 12/11/2008
A new version of the Redfly smartphone terminal with a 7-inch screen temporarily costs just under $200.
Tekkeon has unveiled myPower for iPhone, a leather sleeve with a rechargeable lithium polymer battery inside.
43. T-Mobile cameo Review 12/11/2008
The cameo is a digital picture frame that can wirelessly receive images send from a smartphone. Ed Hardy says this would make a great gift f
44. Win a Trip to See Palm's ''Newness'' 12/12/2008
Next month, Palm will hold a slightly mysterious press event at which it will announce something. The company is holding a contest to give a
45. Microsoft ZunePhone Is/Isn't Imminent 12/12/2008
Rumors and counter-reports have been flying this week about Microsoft's plans to offer a combination phone and Zune music player.
46. Handango Bringing Smartphone Software to Best Buy Stores 12/12/2008
The software retailer Handango Inc. has made a deal to bring applications for a wide variety of smartphones to Best Buy's retail stores nati
47. AT&T Confirms Femtocell Trials, Plans Expansion in 2009 12/13/2008
AT&T's has confirmed previously leaked information that it is, in fact, testing femtocells, and has announced plans to conduct a "city-sized
48. Sprint Strongly Considering Android 12/13/2008
Sprint isn't quite ready to commit to releasing an Android-based device, but it seems very close to it.
49. Apple Positioning the iPhone as a Gaming Console 12/13/2008
A high-level Apple executive has stated something his company has only suggested in the past: the iPhone is a mobile gaming console.
Some of the features notably absent from Google Android platform are a full-featured Office suite and Exchange synchronization. DataViz, how
51. Garmin nuvifone Gets Approved by FCC 12/14/2008
Garmin's upcoming GPS-enabled quasi-smartphone has received the required approval from the FCC in order to be released in the U.S. This does
52. Microsoft Releases an iPhone App 12/14/2008
Microsoft, the company behind Windows Mobile, has released an application for the rival iPhone. Seadragon Mobile allows users to view image
A new report apparently confirms earlier speculation: Palm is not only going to unveil its new operating system next month, but also at leas
54. Sprint Introduces the BlackBerry Curve 8350i 12/15/2008
Sprint has introduced the BlackBerry Curve 8350i, a smartphone for its Nextel Direct Connect customers who depend on push-to-talk. This devi
55. Nokia N79 Officially Launched in the U.S. 12/15/2008
Nokia has refreshed the mid-range of its North American lineup with the official availability of the N79. This small, consumer-oriented mode
56. Palm Treo Pro Coming to Sprint in Late January 12/15/2008
There have now been enough leaks that there can be little doubt that Sprint plans to launch the Palm Treo Pro next month, and the latest of
57. Resco Explorer 2009 for Palm OS Now Available 12/15/2008
New features in the latest version of Resco Explorer for Palm OS include Folder Sync, a memory card scanner, and more.
58. Palm Getting a New Chief Financial Officer 12/16/2008
Douglas C. Jeffries, previously chief accounting officer at eBay, will join Palm, Inc. in January as its Chief Financial Officer.
A Nokia and NXP research project looks to change the way devices are created by turning to a modular-based system of development called NoTA
60. AT&T Certifies the Palm Treo Pro 12/16/2008
AT&T has added the Palm Treo Pro to its Specialty Vertical Device list, which means that it has certified that this smartphone is fully comp
61. Palm's Version of the App Store Debuts 12/16/2008
Palm, Inc. has launched an on-device software store that allows users to find, purchase, and install applications directly on a smartphone o
62. Verizon Unlocking the GPS on Some Windows Mobile Smartphones 12/16/2008
Verizon Wireless has promised to unlock the GPS on some of its recent Windows Mobile devices so they can use third-party navigation software
63. Easy iPhone 3G Unlocking Coming Soon 12/16/2008
The infamous iPhone Dev Team is close to releasing a user-friendly tool for unlocking the iPhone 3G, which will allow this smartphone to be
64. HTC Touch Pro for Sprint Review 12/16/2008
The HTC Touch Pro is a consumer-oriented smartphone merged with a business-oriented one to create a generally harmonious whole. Adama D. Bro
65. BlackBerry Curve 8320 Now Available from AT&T 12/17/2008
AT&T has just begun offering an updated version of the BlackBerry Curve 8320, a relatively low-cost Wi-Fi enabled smartphone.
A comprehensive list is emerging of which operating systems will get versions of the mobile version of the Firefox web browser.
67. Consumer Reports Makes Smartphone Recommendations 12/17/2008
Consumer Reports has published a list of its recommended smartphones. This will likely please some, but leave many others scratching their h
68. Virtual BlackBerry for Windows Mobile Nearing Release? 12/17/2008
Almost two years ago, RIM announced plans to release a suite of applications that will let a Windows Mobile-based smartphone act as if it wa
A panel of experts predicts that by 2020, most people will access the Internet primarily through their phone. They also predict that voice r
70. SlingPlayer Mobile for BlackBerry Finally Nearing Debut 12/18/2008
Sling Media will open a public beta of SlingPlayer Mobile for BlackBerry smartphones at the end of this month.
71. iPhone Is Coming to Wal-Mart, Not for $99 12/18/2008
There still hasn't been an official announcement, but the details of Wal-Mart's plan to start offering the iPhone have leaked out.
72. Handy Weather for BlackBerry Now Available 12/19/2008
Paragon Software Group's new Handy Weather for BlackBerry smartphones lets mobile users get real-time, wireless weather forecasts from any p
73. Palm's Last Quarter Was a ''Difficult Period'' 12/19/2008
As expected, Palm's revenue last quarter from both smartphones and handhelds is down significantly. Still, the company promises that its upc
74. Samsung May Launch an Android-Based Smartphone by Mid-Year 12/19/2008
Sprint and T-Mobile USA will release a Samsung model running Google's Android OS before the middle of 2009, if an unconfirmed report is corr
The Brighthand Store is now offering some of the best-selling Windows Mobile applications for 50% off. This includes software for both the P
76. Nokia Releases Final Mobile Web Server Beta 12/21/2008
A final beta of Nokia's Mobile Web Server has been released, along with a new Group Calendar widget and enhanced Facebook application.
77. Elevation Partners Pumps $100 Million into Palm 12/22/2008
Elevation Partners -- the private-equity firm that already owns 25% of this company -- has agreed to make an additional $100 million equity
78. Apple May Be Prepping iPhone Nano 12/22/2008
Semi-reliable information indicates that Apple is working on a smaller, less expensive version of the iPhone.
79. Garmin Launching an Android-Based Device in 2009 12/22/2008
The GPS maker Garmin is expected to release a smartphone running Google's new Android OS in the second half of 2009.
Pinger Phone is a new application that provides an easier way to get in contact with people in a smartphone's address book, as well as with
81. iPhones Can Now Wirelessly Send Photos to HP Printers 12/23/2008
HP has released a free application that allows iPhone and iPod touch users to print photos to a wireless HP printer.
82. Nokia N79 Receives Major Firmware Update 12/23/2008
The recently released Nokia N79 has received its first firmware update. This update is considerably larger than other first-updates Nokia de
83. Brighthand.com Purchasing Survey 12/23/2008
We'd like to find out more about who is looking for a smartphone, and what sorts of considerations you make while researching a purchase. O
84. Is This the iPhone Nano? 12/23/2008
An image has emerged that supposedly depicts a smaller, cheaper version of Apple's smartphone. This device is rumored to be in development n
Sling Media has released updated versions of SlingPlayer Mobile for both editions of Windows Mobile. The primary improvement in the new rele
86. HTC's Second Android Model Might Come in Q1 2009 12/24/2008
HTC designed and manufactured the first smartphone running Google's Android OS, and it is reportedly hard at work on its second model runnin
87. Nokia's Mail on Ovi Goes Live Globally 12/25/2008
Nokia's Mail on Ovi service has been pushed live, and is now available for over 110 million Symbian S40 devices worldwide.
88. Future Sony Ericsson WM Smartphones Won't Be Made by HTC 12/26/2008
Sony Ericsson is reportedly dropping HTC as the manufacturer of its Windows Mobile smartphones, and instead going with one of HTC's rivals.
89. MobileFiles Pro Lets iPhone Users Edit Excel Documents 12/26/2008
QuickOffice Inc. taken a first step toward allowing Apple's iPhone line to work with Microsoft Office files by adding native Excel support.
90. Samsung InnoV8 with N. American 3G Appears at FCC 12/29/2008
The Samsung i8510 InnoV8 has made an unexpected appearance within FCC documents, creating a strong possibility that this smartphone with an
91. LG Incite Review 12/29/2008
The LG Incite is a new touchscreen, Windows Mobile device offered by AT&T. Featuring a finger-customized interface, haptics, and multiple wi
92. Agendus 13 for Palm OS Released 12/29/2008
iambic has released Agendus 13 for Palm OS, which includes a variety of new features and general improvements.
93. Get an iPhone 3G for $99 12/30/2008
Until the end of the year, AT&T is selling some the Apple iPhone 3G units with 8 GB of storage for half the regular price. And there's a big
94. The Year of the Smartphone, Slightly Held Up 12/30/2008
2008 was supposed to be the "year of the smartphone" and in many ways it was. But, as Antoine Wright points out in his latest editorial, the
95. SlingPlayer Mobile for BlackBerry Preview 12/30/2008
Sling Media made a beta of SlingPlayer Mobile for BlackBerry available to the public today. Ed Hardy has tried it out, and he's quite please
96. More Evidence of the iPhone Nano Emerges 12/31/2008
There still isn't what any real hard evidence that Apple is preparing to launch an iPhone Nano, but the circumstantial evidence is piling up
97. BlackBerry Curve 8900 May Be Coming to T-Mobile USA in Feb. 12/31/2008
T-Mobile USA will be introducing an updated version of the BlackBerry Curve in a couple of months, if an unconfirmed report is correct.
98. T-Mobile G1 Update Will Add On-Screen Keyboard 12/31/2008
A system software update expected soon should add to Android and the T-Mobile G1 one of the most requested features: an on-screen keyboard.
more than 100 focused websites providing quick access to a deep store of
news, advice and analysis about the technologies, products and processes crucial
to the jobs of IT pros.
All Rights Reserved, Copyright 2000 - 2013, TechTarget | Read our Privacy Statement