Listed below are all of our news and reviews articles for February 2003. If you are looking for an article on a particular day or on a particular topic, you can use the menu on the right to narrow your search
2003 ArticlesJanuary | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December |
February 2003 Topics
SmartPhone Articles for February of 2003
Below are the 123 SmartPhone articles for February of 2003
It's time for another contest, and this time we're giving away a case to fit your Palm m500/m505/m515 (fits any one of the three). The case
The Palm Tungsten W has been out in Asia for a few weeks now and could be released in the US on Monday Sony has confirmed the Clie NZ90 wil
3. Review - Classic Arcade Games by Applian 2/2/2003
Welcome Chris to our review team. He's weighed in with his thoughts on an off-brand game pack for the Pocket PC which is perfect if you want
4. Retailers Dropping Prices for Tungsten T 2/3/2003
Online retailers are cutting their prices for the Palm Tungsten T by $100. Is Palm itself about to follow suit?
5. BrightBytes™: Dell, Color Blackberry, Danger 2/3/2003
The two Axim X5 models are now on sale in Europe, a reader reports seeing a Blackberry model with a color screen, Danger has received fundin
6. Brighthand Reviews the Sony Clie NZ90 2/3/2003
Sony's new Clie NZ90 is the first handheld to offer a genuinely useful digital camera, and its built-in Bluetooth networking lets you create
7. Acer Planning New Handhelds 2/3/2003
Acer has announced plans to release new handhelds running Pocket PC and Palm OS later this year. It will also cut the cost of its current P
Dell Axim X5 Released in Europe...at a higher price than the U.S. Free Sci-fi and Fantasy eBooks TI has announced plans to release new chi
9. Palm Cuts Prices for the Tungsten T, m515, m130 2/4/2003
Palm has dropped prices on its flagship handheld by $100. It has also cut $50 off the price of two older models.
10. Microsoft Mobility Unit Sees Big Revenue Increase 2/4/2003
The division of Microsoft that develops the Pocket PC saw a nearly 25% increase in revenue at the end of 2002, though not enough to make it
11. BSQUARE Working to Get Handheld Released 2/4/2003
Wireless carriers are looking into releasing BSQUARE's Windows CE .NET handheld, which offers an integrated keyboard and a VGA screen.
Proporta has a new backup card for Palm PDAs and might make one for Clie's too AeroPlayer 1.0 MP3 player now available for the Tungsten T
13. Audio Players for Tungsten T Now Available 2/5/2003
Updated Though none were available when the Palm Tungsten T was first released, two MP3 players for this handheld have been released this w
14. BrightBytes™: Dell, MegaLauncher, Axim, HP 2/5/2003
Dell is offering discounts on memory cards, there is a new USB charger and sync cable for the Dell Axim, MegaLauncher 4 has finally been rel
TheWraith and I have spent a little time with Chapura's updated KeyContacts contact management software for the Palm OS. It's a huge improve
Pocket Tunes has added support for MP3 playing on the Tungsten T 15% off memory sale including the 1GB CompactFlash card Applian has a new
17. TI Introduces New Processors for Handhelds 2/6/2003
Texas Instruments has introduced five new OMAP processors designed to be used in handhelds and smartphones. These offer better multimedia pe
Tech Depot has pricing now on the SJ33 and it's coming in at $287. The bad news is that something is wrong with the shipping cost, ground is
What an amazing application for PDAs. Proxity is working with the govenrment to bring their Gunshot Detection System to the streets of the U
20. Palm Releases Audio Patch for Tungsten T Owners 2/6/2003
I've had the unofficial version for a few days, but now everyone can get into the act. Palm has officially released the fix for a number of
The Palm Zire sold more units during 4Q last year than any other PDA In every Clie owner beats the heart of a gamer - Game Pad Reviewed So
Brighthand's Editor-in-Chief predicts that three technologies that are in common use now are already on their way to being obsolete.
23. Sony Drops Prices for Midrange, Low-End Models 2/7/2003
Sony has dropped the prices for its SJ30, SJ20, and SL10 models by as much as $50.
24. BrightBytes™: XScaleCtrl, Insaniquarium, Clear Speed 2/7/2003
XScaleCtrl can increase the processor speed on the Dell Axim X5 up to 500 MHz, Insaniquarium is a silly new Palm OS game, and the next versi
25. PalmSource Lays Off 18% 2/7/2003
As it prepares to become an independent company, the operating systems subsidiary of Palm Inc. institutes a round of layoffs.
Things are looking grim...aliens have invaded your fish tank and all seems lost...until Itchy shows up to help fight off the aliens. You see
Office Documents Look Better On Palms Than on Pocket PCs Quicken will soon be available for the Pocket PC PalmSource announced an 18% broa
Dealing with documents on a small screen can be frustrating, given the trade- off of accuracy vs. readability. Enter RepliGo, which is a pro
Samsung has announced the industry's first System-in-Package (SiP) Multi-function styli are not new, but this one is quite remarkable
We all know that as new PDAs come out, case manufactures are often slow to react to the new form factors. The Tungsten T is no different as
31. Heads-Up Display Coming for Pocket PC 2/10/2003
A heads-up display that plugs in the CF slot on many Pocket PC models will be released soon. It will allow users to view images and surf th
PC Mall and Amazon are offering good deals on memory cards, ClieSource is trying to convince Sony to add support for CompactFlash memory car
Astraware has long been known for great ports to the Palm and Pocket PC platforms. Now they'll be publishing games for Whitehorse, the first
34. Add USB Host Ability to Your Pocket PC 2/10/2003
RATOC Systems has been perfecting the first ever compact flash USB host card over the past few months. This means you'll be able to use any
Dataviz is now offering a PC software which sync's with a PDA to maintain secure passwords The only way to get this Linux PDA with VGA scre
We've extended our contests a while, thanks to a bunch of new prizes. Here is our next offering - Sony hooked us up with this wonderful padf
37. Dell Says Axim Has 10% Marketshare 2/11/2003
After releasing its first handheld in November, Dell's CEO says preliminary figures indicate that Dell may already have as much as 10% of th
38. HP Developing New Wireless Handheld 2/11/2003
Though little is known about it at this point, Hewlett Packard is going to release a new wireless model in the second half of this year.
39. Handspring Aids Treo Developers 2/11/2003
A new developer solutions team will offer technical and marketing support to people and companies developing applications for Treo smartphon
We've just received word from FrogPad that the product is now in production and will be available for purchase on March 1. If you missed it,
NASCAR To Go will give wireless Pocket PC owners access to real time race data Valentine's Day is around the corner, send a card to Pocket
42. Details emerging on new GPRS enabled iPAQ 2/11/2003
You might remember that we brought you limited details of this development in our CES coverage in early January. New reports are surfacing t
43. BrightBytes™: Pocket Plus, XScale, CodeWarrior, and More 2/12/2003
Pocket Plus 1.2 adds many useful features, like repeating alarms, to the Pocket PC, two apps for speeding up the processors in Pocket PC mod
44. USB CompactFlash Card In Development 2/12/2003
Pocket PC users with CompactFlash slots will soon be able to make use of USB peripherals.
45. DataViz Bringing Native Office File Support to Palm OS 2/12/2003
In the future, Palm OS users won't have to go through the hassle of converting Word and Excel files before they can use them on their handhe
46. Kyocera 7135 Smartphones to Ship With QuickOffice 2/12/2003
In a big win for Cutting Edge Software, new Kyocera 7135 Smartphones will ship with QuickOffice. Most Palm PDAs come with their main competi
Documents To Go and QuickOffice both made announcements today about handling MS Office documents in their desktop native format riteMail 2.
48. Intel Announces Smartphone Chips 2/13/2003
Intel has announced that it is developing chips that combine an XScale core and other components in a processor designed to sit at the heart
49. BrightBytes™: TG50, HP Update, O2 XDA, and More 2/13/2003
Looks like the Sony TG50 wil be released in March, HP has released a patch that fixes an underclocking problem with its recent ROM update fo
50. Palm Releases Tungsten T Digitizer Fix 2/13/2003
Palm has posted onto its site a software patch that fixes a problem some users have experienced with their Tungsten T.
Handango has released details regarding PDA software sales from Q4 of 2002 and 2002 as a whole. The "Handango Yardstick" is viewed as a reas
52. Sony Clie NZ90 Review 2/13/2003
The Sony Clie NZ90 is quite a departure from the standard definition of a PDA. That's just how Sony wants it too. They want us to to view th
Get a Sidekick for free after $250 rebate Palm has released their second Tungsten T patch in two weeks Orange UK has launched flat rate GP
54. Your Guide to Wireless 2/14/2003
Confused by numbers like 802.11 and 2.5G, or by the alphabet soup of PANs and WANs, CDMA and TDMA, or GSM and GPRS? Well, maybe we can help.
55. BrightBytes™: Dell, iPAQ Keyboard, MobileDB4, and More 2/14/2003
Dell posted results for its best quarter yet, there's a new thumb keyboard for many iPAQ models, MobileDB4 is now available, and more.
56. Software Sales Up in 2002 2/14/2003
Despite a decrease in the number of handhelds sold, Handango reports that the amount of money spent on software for them was up significantl
57. Motorola Announcing Smartphone Reference Design 2/14/2003
Motorola has developed the i.Smart reference design to help companies create wireless devices. It could be the basis for future Palm OS or
58. RumorMill™: Toshiba Readying Low-Cost Pocket PC 2/14/2003
A report has surfaced from Taiwan that Toshiba is going to release a $200 Pocket PC in March.
59. Amazon PDA Rebate Listing - Our Valentines Gift to You 2/14/2003
It's Valentines Day and just to show how much we love our site visitors we've compiled a fairly comprehensive list of rebates on PDAs and ac
60. Motorola A760 - Linux and Java PDA/Phone (NEW PICS) 2/14/2003
Motorola has announced the A760, a flip form factor that looks like a hip Treo 300. It's packed with features like: digital camera, video pl
AOL has selected Pumatech to provide sync options Designed for non-industrial use, the Barcoda Bluetooth barcode scanner is pretty sharp
In a move to be the cheapest Pocket PC on the market, Toshiba has announced the e350 for $199. The e350 will also provide great value with a
The P800 is supposed to be in the US in March. Until then, enjoy another European review ZIOsoft brings another big-name game to the Pocket
64. PDA New Release Scorecard 2/16/2003
A new PDA hasn't been released since before Christmas but there are a ton on the horizon. Here's a quick rundown of what's definitely coming
65. Brighthand Reviews the Sony Clie SJ33 2/17/2003
Sony's newest handheld, the Clie PEG-SJ33, is a mid-range Palm Powered model that includes an integrated MP3 player and a design and price t
66. Motorola Picks Linux for New Smartphone 2/17/2003
Motorola has passed over the Palm OS, Symbian, and Microsoft's various offerings in favor of using Linux in a new multimedia smartphone comi
67. FCC Releases Additional Info on Sony TG50 2/17/2003
Updated There is a bit more information available about Sony's forthcoming handheld with an integrated keyboard and Bluetooth. This includ
68. BrightBytes™: Dell, Astraware , Cnet, and More 2/17/2003
Dell is offering 10% off both Axim models, Astraware has a new Palm OS racing game, Cnet is putting out twice daily technology reports in MP
69. PDA News - Dell 10% Off Axim, Microsoft SmartPhones 2/17/2003
Dell had been offering a rebate on the Axim before Christmas, since then it's been hard to find a deal. Until now. 10% Off all Axim X5 mod
70. Astraware Releases GTS Racing Challange Game for Palm OS 2/17/2003
Astraware is behind another great game, this time it's the best looking racing game the Palm OS has seen. Astrware is wearing the publisher
71. Preview - Sony Clie SJ33 (pictures) 2/17/2003
It's of little surprise that Sony has made official the SJ33 in the US. The release issued today states the unit will begin shipping later t
72. RumorMill™: Intel Preparing Faster Handheld Processors 2/18/2003
Intel is close to announcing a new generation of processors designed for future Palm OS and Pocket PC handhelds. Reportedly, these will be
73. Microsoft Announces Pocket MSN 2/18/2003
Microsoft is developing a mobile version of its online service. This will give Pocket PC users access to Hotmail accounts and more.
74. 3GSM World Congress Brings a Wave of Announcements 2/18/2003
Several big name companies have announced new smartphones that will be available later this year.
75. UPDATE - Preview - Sony Clie TG50 (New Pictures/Manual) 2/18/2003
We've obtained the PDF user manual for the TG50. It's a rough draft as you will see, but it provides additional insight on the TG50.
76. Review - Pygmy Pouch Roadfisher Universal PDA Case 2/18/2003
The overall build quality feels good, and even the velcro looks high-quality. It's very, very nice, particularly compared to the stock Dell
77. New Microsoft Smartphones & Pocket MSN 2/18/2003
The 3GSM Event in France has been busy and Microsoft and T-Mobile are taking part. Much of the news is centered on new phones and new servic
Intel is expanding its XScale offering with a new chip code named Bulverde USB host software for Symbian now available Socket Communicatio
79. Tungsten W Coming Later This Month 2/19/2003
Palm's latest wireless handheld has run into a slight glitch in its approval process but is expected to be available soon.
80. BrightBytes™: StreamLync, h5450, FlyZip, and More 2/19/2003
A new app from PalmGear aims to simplify the process of buying and installing applications, HP comments on problems with Wi-Fi on the iPAQ h
81. Palm Confirms Release of Tungsten W - Feb 28th 2/19/2003
The end of the month is going to be very busy in the PDA market. Sony and now Palm both have units scheduled for release on the 28th. Palm w
82. Review – Insaniquarium From Astraware 2/19/2003
This is getting a little old. It seems every time Astraware publishes a game it lives up to the quality and addictiveness we're used to. Ins
HP has issued a customer advisory that covers memory issues while using WiFi Imagine being able to visit a beaming station at your local wi
84. BrightBytes™: Kiosks, TextMaker, eVest, and More 2/20/2003
People will soon be able to buy Palm OS software from kiosks and have the apps beamed to their handhelds, there's a new version of TextMaker
85. Head of OS Development Leaves PalmSource 2/20/2003
Updated Steve Sakoman is no longer working for PalmSource. He headed up the team developing Palm OS 6.
86. Blackberry Lawsuit Gets Ugly 2/20/2003
NTP is accusing Research in Motion of unfairly lobbying the Patent Office as part of a lawsuit between the two companies.
Vaja is now shipping Dell Axim cases Avaion has upgraded FatFinger with Palm OS 5 support The ultimate mobility outerwear adds leather and
88. Appeals Court Asks for Re-evaluation of Xerox Patent 2/21/2003
In the court case to determine whether Graffiti infringes on a patent held by Xerox, the U.S. Court of Appeals issued a ruling that question
Softick PPP allows Palm users to access the Web on their handheld from the cradle, VajaCases has a new case for the Axim X5 series, Maptech
90. Samsung Buys 5% of Symbian 2/21/2003
South Korea’s Samsung has made a major investment in the company that develops the Symbian OS.
91. Samsung Announces GPRS Version of i700 2/21/2003
Samsung has taken the wraps off its latest data-centric wireless handheld, which runs the Pocket PC Phone Edition.
92. Want to help shape the PDA industry...and win $500? 2/21/2003
Want to shape the future of the PDA industry and help Brighthand at the same time? If so, please take 6-8 minutes to help our research partn
93. Sony Clie NZ90 Warning - Severe Battery Problems 2/21/2003
I've never done this before, but I am aware of a serious issue regarding the NZ90 that is not yet recognized by Sony. The battery in many un
Xerox wins graffiti patent dispute - sort of BenQ has released their iPAQ game pad Tired of your Palm OS web browser? Try this.
95. $50 Dell Axim Rebate Is Back! 2/21/2003
I wish it was an instant rebate, but $50 is $50. If you've been thinking about the Axim, you have a month to take advantage of the renewed r
96. REVIEW: PDA Skins PDA Plus Case 2/22/2003
Ever wanted to be able to carry all your knick knacks in your PDA case and have easy access to your PDA while on your belt? Well, the “PDA
WiFi providers are talking about an alliance that would make life easier for users A new media player will support Windows Media Series 9 o
98. Review - Infestation From HTK Technologies for Pocket PC 2/23/2003
HTK Technologies has released Infestation, a shoot-em-up game of epic proportions. "The general sent you to bomb an alien infested area, unf
99. RUMOR: Toshiba e750/e755 Wi-Fi Pocket PCs Information 2/23/2003
The FCC has posted information on a previously unheard of release from Toshiba. Seems like Toshiba is ready to introduce an upgrade to it's
100. FCC Approves Toshiba e750 and e755 2/24/2003
Updated Toshiba has permission to release two new handhelds, at least one of which has built-in Wi-Fi.
101. BrightBytes™: HP ROM Update, T665C, Motorola, and More 2/24/2003
There is a new version of the ROM Update for the h3950 and h3955 iPAQs that doesn't have the flaw the previous one did, Sony no longer offer
102. Rebates Lower the Price of the Treo 300 2/24/2003
Handspring and Sprint are offering a pair of rebates on the Treo 300 communicator that will drop its price to $400 for some customers.
HP is reaching out to college kids with their iPAQ treasure hunt with MTV's help Pick up $100 in rabates on the Treo 300 AvantGo has relea
104. Review – Covertec Palm Tungsten T Leather Case 2/24/2003
A few weeks ago I posted my review of the Rhinoskin Tungsten T case. Covertec takes a different approach with their model and it's definitel
105. Color hiptop Coming Later This Year 2/25/2003
Though the smartphone from Danger has generated a lot of interest, especially for its low cost, some have held back hoping for a color versi
106. Palm Tungsten W Updates Galore 2/25/2003
With no surprise at all, Palm made it completely official today announcing the release of the Palm Tungsten W. The Tungsten W is Palm's firs
The Veo CF camera now supports the Axim product line There have been many rumors about another Palm...here's another to fuel the flames Th
108. First Thoughts: Sony Clie SJ33 Review 2/25/2003
"I read with anticipation the specs for the new Clie SJ33 and decided it was time to upgrade. I heard that Circuit City had it in stock in a
109. Microsoft Mobility Developer Conference 2003 Preview 2/26/2003
Don't miss Microsoft's premier developer event for Microsoft Windows Powered mobile devices.
110. BrightBytes™: Kyle’s Quest, Plug-ins, Veo, and More 2/26/2003
Play a monster instead of a hero in Kyle’s Quest Dungeons, No Plugins Today disables all Today Screen plug-ins, Axim X5 users can get
111. Handheld Market to Rebound This Year 2/26/2003
A new study predicts that worldwide handheld shipments will increase every year at least until 2007.
Tripod Data Systems is selling the Recon ruggedized CE.NET PDA As promised the CF USB card will be shipping in March, pre-order yours now
113. Rumor - HP iPAQ 2200 Series to be Released This Summer 2/26/2003
It's been almost a year since we brought you rumors of the iPAQ 2200 series Pocket PC's. Now they're back and it looks like a summer release
Quickoffice Premier 7 will finally allow people to use Microsoft Office documents in their native formats on Palm OS handhelds. Plus, Snap
115. RumorMill™: HP to Release iPAQ 2200 Series 2/27/2003
Updated A fairly complete description of a future addition to the iPAQ line has surfaced. The rumored 2200 series will offer dual slots, B
116. BrightBytes™: New Models, Zaurus, HP, and More 2/27/2003
Several recently announced models from Sony and Palm are now available, there is good news for those wanting to use CF peripherals with Zaur
117. Palm Announces Another Round of Layoffs 2/27/2003
With the handheld market in a slump, Palm lays off 200 more employees from its hardware and software divisions.
118. QuickOffice Premier 7.0 Released With Native File Support 2/27/2003
A few weeks ago, we told you this was coming. Cutting Edge has released the first Palm OS software capable of viewing Microsoft files in the
Palm slashed another 100 jobs today Socket is working hard to make all their peripherals work with the Sharp Zaurus line A potential Socke
120. Get Ready for CompactFlash Memory on Sony Clies 2/28/2003
One company has announced that it’s developing a driver to allow Sony's Clie models with CompactFlash slots to use CF memory cards.
121. Dell Again Offering $50 Rebates for its Axim Line 2/28/2003
The on-again off-again rebates on the Axim X5 models are on again, reducing the price of the X5 Entry and X5 Advance to $199 and $299, respe
122. Sony Clie's to Get Compact Flash Support - In Spite of Sony 2/28/2003
The Sony Clie NX and NZ devices all come with a CF slot designed for one use only, the Sony WiFi card. This is a major frustration and one t
This device is pretty cool looking - a 30GB hard drive and 3.5" color screen top the list (pictures) A unique business gift - branded PDA s
more than 100 focused websites providing quick access to a deep store of
news, advice and analysis about the technologies, products and processes crucial
to the jobs of IT pros.
All Rights Reserved, Copyright 2000 - 2013, TechTarget | Read our Privacy Statement