Listed below are all of our news and reviews articles for April 2003. If you are looking for an article on a particular day or on a particular topic, you can use the menu on the right to narrow your search
2003 ArticlesJanuary | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December |
April 2003 Topics
SmartPhone Articles for April of 2003
Below are the 126 SmartPhone articles for April of 2003
1. 1 GB Memory Stick Now Available 4/1/2003
Sony Clie users finally have access to Memory Sticks that are larger than 128 MB. Palm OS 5 users can get a card that has 1 GB of storage.
2. Sprint Offering $200 Rebate on Treo 300 4/1/2003
Updated Sprint is offering a rebate on the Treo 300 communicator that will drop its price to $300 for some customers. Even better, Amazon
It’s April Fools Day, a developer claims to have created the first driver to allow some Sony models to use CF memory cards, Mobile Con
4. A New Way to Distribute Pocket PC Applications 4/1/2003
Spb Software House hopes Spb AirSetup will become the de-facto standard for over-the-air Pocket PC application distribution.
5. Review - Pocket Informant 4 for Pocket PC 4/1/2003
Pocket Informant 4 is the most recent update to the widely popular PIM replacement program. While the basic design of the program hasn't cha
For a first effort, this game is amazing! Medieval Heros is a fun and very hard Risk-type RTS game. Jeyo has released a software to let use
7. Review — Uninvited by Infinite Ventures 4/2/2003
Do you remember back in the day when you would sit glued to your Nintendo and play Uninvited? How about Shadowgate? Well, now you can glue
The design of this new CE.NET device is very unique (pictures) Best Software has announced ACT! for Pocket PC is now available Pocket PC P
9. Become a Contributing Member 4/2/2003
Did you ever wonder what keeps Brighthand going and growing? Well, it takes more than just the active participation of our more than forty t
Updated According to unconfirmed reports, Palm Inc. is going to release the Zire 71 and Tungsten C in the coming weeks. Fairly complete des
11. Memory Stick PRO Patch Available Soon 4/3/2003
A patch to allow many current Clie models to use the new 1 GB cards will be available in a few weeks but users have found a workaround that
12. RumorMill™: Details on Upcoming High-End Sony Clies 4/3/2003
Rumors are circulating on the Web about Sony’s next models. Some of these seem quite probable, others less so.
Dell is now offering a free CF card with its Pocket PC models, ClieFiles 1.1 can extract the contents of ZIP files, some companies have team
We received our first SmaterCase almost 18 months ago. Well, they're back with a new unit that's a twist on their classic universal hard cas
Brighthand has pulled together a report on the latest Clie rumors Belkin is releasing a ton of new Axim accessories The $50 rebate is gone
16. Wireless Networking at Home with Bluetooth 4/4/2003
Brighthand’s Editor-in-Chief shares his experiences using Bluetooth to connect various handhelds to the Internet.
17. BrightBytes™: Deals on Handhelds and Peripherals 4/4/2003
Updated Companies are offering deals on the recently-released Toshiba e750 and Sony TG50. There are also some good prices for older models
The first Palm OS eBook that does not require a seperate reader has been released Blue-Gene is about to release a Bluetooth CF card This i
19. RIM Revenues Up, Losses Down 4/5/2003
Research in Motion saw a substantial increase in revenues this quarter, though still not enough to make it profitable.
20. Dell Axim X5 300 MHz For Only $148.50! 4/5/2003
Computer Geeks has a special offer on refurbished Dell Axim 300 MHz models. The Axim's are all in good condition and come with a 90 day warr
NEC is pulling its PDAs out of Japan A ton of work is going into getting CF support for the Clie NR, NX and NZ series Clies - not by Sony t
22. BrightBytes™: Dell, Zaurus, TextMaker, and More 4/6/2003
Dell is offering a 10% discount off the cost of the Axim X5 line, the Zaurus SL-5600 is now in stores, SoftMaker is giving away thousands of
23. Brighthand Reviews the Toshiba e755 4/7/2003
Toshiba takes a good handheld and makes it better, adding a bigger, better display, a faster processor and more memory to its top-of-the-lin
24. More Details on Group Sense’s Palm OS Smartphone 4/7/2003
A Chinese company is putting together a super-small smartphone with a built-in camera that should be available in Europe later this year.
A new study predicts that a very sharp rise in the sales of devices running Microsoft’s Windows CE and its derivatives is coming in th
Get a free 32 MB SD card from Staples, there is a new patch that fixes a battery problem on the iPAQ h5400 series, ZLauncher 3.0 is now avai
A new study indicates mobile devices, like PDAs, running on Microsoft platforms will outsell PC's running Microsoft platforms by 2008 worldw
28. Diagnose SARS with your Palm or Pocket PC 4/7/2003
If you've been watching the news lately you've likely heard just a little about Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). In case the media
PDA security is an important consideration for many corporate users Proporta has expanded its Axim accessory offerings The Treo 300 rebate
30. PXA255 Chip Appearing in Current Handhelds 4/8/2003
Some handhelds are starting to appear with the updated version of Intel’s XScale processor, and these aren’t just the models tha
There is a ROM update for the Dell Axim X5; Sony has a new driver for its Wi-Fi card; the FX100 flexible keyboard is now available for the Z
32. Group Sense PDA Planning Second Palm OS Smartphone 4/8/2003
Details of a second super-small smartphone coming from Group Sense PDA Limited are now available.
Wanted - Palm and Pocket PC software and accessory reviewers. Applicants must own an appropriate PDA and have time to turn reviews around qu
Dell has released an Axim ROM update If you have a Pocket PC and GPS, you can now avoid traffic jams! Toshiba e755 review
35. Is this the “Perfect PDA”? 4/9/2003
As handheld enthusiasts await the release of the iPAQ h2200 Pocket PC, we wonder if it's the "perfect PDA"
Many have been hopeful that OLED screens, which have many advantages over LCDs, would soon appear in handhelds. Unfortunately, a new study
37. ePocrates Rx Pro Now Available for Pocket PC 4/9/2003
Doctors with Pocket PC models can finally use ePocrates’ very popular drug reference on their handhelds.
38. Status of the Garmin iQue 3600 4/9/2003
The Garmin iQue 3600 turned a lot of heads, including mine, when it went on display at the CES in Vegas this past January. Garmin has been q
Innopocket is now shipping an aluminum case for the iPAQ h1910 T-Mobile has announced WiFi HotSpots are now available at all Borders Books
40. BrightBytes™: HanDBase, h1910 Case, Sony, and More 4/10/2003
DDH Software is giving $1,000 to the person who can make the best HanDBase applet, there is a new hardcase for the h1910, find out the lates
41. Avoid Traffic Jams with ClearRoute 4/10/2003
ClearRoute automatically routes users with a GPS-enabled Pocket PC around traffic jams. A public beta of this app is available now from Map
42. NX70V Price Drop May Be a Sign of Things to Come 4/10/2003
Updated Is the fact that Sony has dropped the price of one of its high-end models a sign that it will soon announce a replacement?
43. Leather Case with Built-In Wi-Fi Coming Soon 4/10/2003
Enfora is close to releasing a leather portfolio case that allows the Palm handheld within to connect to Wi-Fi wireless access points.
44. Review - Monkey Menace by Afzane 4/10/2003
What do you get when you cross a giant 6-foot-tall monkey, a kidnapped girl, and an endless supply of watermelons? Monkey Menace.
A revolutionary PDA case will let almost any Palm go wireless Verizon has the 7135 in stock Sony has released two new drivers for their Cl
46. Brighthand Reviews the ViewSonic V35 4/11/2003
The V35 offers a beautiful screen, a 300 MHz processor, 41 MB of memory, and a slim and lightweight design... all for just $300.
47. HP and Dell Considering Smartphones 4/11/2003
Two prominent Pocket PC licensees may be considering also putting out devices that run Microsoft’s other mobile operating system.
The Kyocera 7135 Palm OS smartphone will be available soon from Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile is looking for feedback on its PPCPE device, Palm
49. Both Dell and HP Thinking About Making Smartphones 4/11/2003
According to a report from DigiTimes, both Dell and HP have made efforts to obtain information regarding the manufacture of smartphones. HP
50. Review - Fade for Pocket PC from Fade Team 4/11/2003
Fade is an adventure game for PocketPCs, played from a first-person perspective, in the classic style of interaction with a mostly static en
51. Virtual Keyboards Coming Later This Year 4/12/2003
In the coming months, several companies will release devices that allow the user to type on an image of a full-size keyboard projected by a
WebLink Wireless has announced a color Palm OS 5, two-way PDA will be released Toronto to get the first Beam & Fly station supporting the P
53. Color Palm OS 5 Device Coming from WebLink Wireless 4/13/2003
WebLink Wireless is going to release later this year a handheld with an “always-on” wireless connection that will compete with t
54. Review: Dell Axim Hard Case by Innopocket 4/13/2003
Nothing says protection like 100% aircraft grade aluminum casing surrounding your Dell Axim. So, if you're a klutz and prone to dropping th
55. MediaQ To Produce ARM-Based Processors 4/14/2003
A company known for making graphic controller chips is going to start producing a complete, ARM-based System-on-a-Chip for multimedia handhe
56. What Happened the iPAQ h5600 Series? 4/14/2003
Brighthand explores the fate of Hewlett Packard’s line of data-centric wireless handhelds.
57. Quicken for Pocket PC Now Available 4/14/2003
A Pocket PC version of the popular application for keeping track of financial data has finally been released by LandWare.
58. Review - Palm Tungsten T Deluxe Stylus 4/14/2003
The Palm Tungsten T is targeted primarily at business users given its feature set and initial price tag. It actually shipped with a decent s
MediaQ has licensed the ARM9 core to develop handheld device processors Pocket Quicken has finally been released for Pocket PC Microsoft h
60. New Release of Palm VersaMail Looks Better, Works Better 4/15/2003
VersaMail 2.5 offers automated email retrieval and notification, support for basic HTML, and several new customization options
61. BrightBytes™: Dell, Transcriber, PDAsia, and More 4/15/2003
Dell is bundling a car charger with its X5 line, there's a new version of Microsoft Transcriber, PDAsia is having a big sale, and more.
62. Tablet PCs Could Rival Handhelds in Size 4/15/2003
It’s possible future handhelds won’t run Pocket PC or Palm OS at all. Instead they’ll be very small Tablet PCs.
63. New Handspring Smartphone Coming this Fall 4/15/2003
Updated Handspring will release a model this fall that its CEO calls “a significant new product.”
64. Review: Veo CF Camera Card for Pocket PC 4/15/2003
The Veo camera card is a standard CompactFlash Type 2 card, compatible with PocketPC 2000 and 2002 handhelds equipped with the proper slot,
65. The Best Email Program For Palm Gets Better 4/15/2003
Palm is about to release version 2.5 of their VersaMail program for $35. There are a number of upgrades and improvements including things li
Handspring losses mount, new Treo pushed back to Fall release Kinkos has partnered with T-Mobile to provide WiFi Hotspots in all of their s
67. Review: G2 PDA Screen Protectors for Palm Tungsten T 4/15/2003
Admittedly, PDA screen protectors are not the most exciting thing in the world, but this review by Kirsten provides an entertaining read and
68. PalmSource Developer Seminar Preview 4/16/2003
PalmSource will use its upcoming developer seminar to announce a new licensee and new developer tools.
69. Microsoft Mobility Unit’s Revenues Increase Again 4/16/2003
The division of Microsoft responsible for the Pocket PC operating system and other variations of Windows CE has experienced a big jump in it
70. Five Sega Games Released for Tungsten T 4/16/2003
Sega and Palm Inc. have collaborated to bring Sonic the Hedgehog and other classic games to the Tungsten T.
71. Amazon PDA Rebates 4/16/2003
Amazon has some rebates on several PDAs from Handspring, HP, Palm, Sharp, Sony, Toshiba and Viewsonic. There's also some memory cards with
Sega and Palm have partnered to launch five classic Sega arcades for the Tungsten T and Tungsten C. Garmin iQue is available for pre-order,
73. HandEra Giving Up its Palm OS License 4/17/2003
One of the original Palm OS licensees has announced that it will release no more models and is selling off its remaining inventory.
Amazon is offering $25 or $50 rebates on almost every currently available handheld, e310 and e740 users can get the EUU3, an insect-themed s
75. Palm OS Devices with 128 MB Memory Now Possible 4/17/2003
The Palm SG and PalmSource have found a way for future Palm OS 5 devices to have far more RAM than before.
76. Review: Sharp Zaurus SL-5600 4/17/2003
The new Zaurus SL-5600 from Sharp is a linux-based PDA with a 400MHz Intel XScale (PXA250) CPU. The street price is currently around $500 fo
Iowa Company HandEra gives up on producing Palm devices. Palm Solutions Group Announces Memory Innovation; 128MB capability combined with m
78. Review: Buglord for Pocket PC 4/17/2003
“There's no such thing as a free meal in the animal kingdom, and in the land of insects, it's every man, or bug, for himself." Welcome to t
79. Latest News on the Garmin iQue 3600 4/18/2003
This Palm OS 5 device with an integrated GPS receiver is now available for pre-order from numerous webstores.
80. Mini CompactFlash Card Standard Announced 4/18/2003
A Taiwanese company is proposing yet another small memory card standard. Will it have any success against the half dozen already on the mar
81. BrightBytes™: h5400 Update, 1 GB CF, SPV e100 and More 4/18/2003
HP has released a ROM update for the iPAQ h5400 series, Amazon has a low price for a 1 GB CF card, Orange SA's new Smartphone 2002 device ha
82. A Sneak Peek at Pocket PC Phone Edition 2003 4/18/2003
The next version of this operating system for wireless handhelds is expected soon and details and screenshots are starting to leak out.
83. Memory Stick PRO Patch Now Available 4/19/2003
The U.S. version of the patch that Sony handhelds need to make full use of this new higher-capacity format has been released.
The bargainPDA and Handango software store are pleased to offer 10% off in our software store, use coupon code C624F1. HP has posted a ROM
85. iPAQ h2200 Series and Pocket PC 2003 Coming May 30? 4/20/2003
A document posted on the FCC’s website gives a strong indication of when HP’s next model and Microsoft’s next OS will be r
86. BrightBytes™: Xela, Cheap Memory, Danger, and More 4/21/2003
The Xela is a combo case/keyboard for some Palm models, Buy.com has some good deals on Lexar memory cards, the Danger hiptop will soon be av
87. Make Free Phone Calls with Your Handheld 4/21/2003
There are a couple of new VoIP applications on the market for Pocket PC handhelds, one of which is freeware.
The Palm Zire 71 is being reported as available in several Staples, OfficeMax and Target stores, the official release date is Wednesday. Am
By connecting independent software vendors to mobile operators and retailers with its Mobile2Market program, Microsoft hopes to strengthen a
90. CompactFlash Memory Card Drivers for Clié Released 4/22/2003
The Sony NX series and NZ90 just became significantly more useful. A company has released a driver that allows these model to use both Comp
91. Synchronize All Your Outlook Info with Beyond Contacts 4/22/2003
DataViz has released an application that allows Palm OS users to transfer all the information in Microsoft Outlook onto their handhelds.
92. BrightBytes™: RepliGo, Free Treo, Wikipedia, and More 4/22/2003
RepliGo allows Smartphone users to view files in many formats, the Treo 180 is free to new T-mobile customers, the world's largest free ency
CompactFlash Storage Card Driver for the Sony Clie released, allows use of Clie CompactFlash slot for standard CompactFlash memory. Secure
94. REVIEW: Covertec Dell Axim X5 Leather Case 4/22/2003
For high-class style, it's hard to beat a leather case. Covertec has been making cases since before the birth of the original Palm Pilot, an
95. Palm Introduces the Zire 71 and the Tungsten C 4/23/2003
Palm has debuted two new models that offer features never before seen on Palm OS devices, and at surprisingly low prices.
96. Brighthand Reviews the Palm Zire 71 4/23/2003
Palm's newest mid-range handheld, the Zire 71, is all that and a bag of chips. Well, maybe not a bag of chips, but at the very least a darn
97. Brighthand’s First Look at the Palm Tungsten C 4/23/2003
The Tungsten C is the first Palm OS model to include integrated Wi-Fi wireless networking, the first to offer 64 MB of RAM, and the first to
98. CompactFlash’s Loss is SD’s Gain 4/23/2003
SD has made big gains on its rivals and is now the second most popular removable memory card format.
99. First Thoughts — Palm Tungsten C 4/23/2003
I've had the Palm Tungsten C for just a day now, but I am happy to report that Palm is doing a number of things right. The WiFi implementati
Handango today released a report that SmartPhone users purchase more software than PDA users and average handheld Software prices dropped.
101. Weak Economy Hurts Handheld Shipments 4/24/2003
Worldwide shipments of handhelds were down over 20% during the first quarter of this year. Still, Pocket PC vendors gained share with new l
102. Dell Hooking Up with Good Technologies 4/24/2003
Neither Dell nor Good Technologies are willing to give any details, but the two are going to make some kind of joint announcement next week.
103. BrightBytes™: Tiny GPS, Wayport, Audible.com, and More 4/24/2003
DeLorme is now offering a tiny GPS receiver. Tungsten C users can get a free trial of Wayport’s Wi-Fi service, Zire 71 users can get a
104. Review — 4x4-1 by GargaGames 4/24/2003
The game is quite simple to understand, but not so simple to solve. I generally have limited patience when it comes to these types of games
Dell and Good are set to announce a new relationship next week. New Axim with Good keyboard? Starting Earth Day (4/27) Staples will offer a
106. Review — Handstory for Pocket PC 4/25/2003
HandStory Suite, the acclaimed 'Swiss Army Knife of media viewers,' is easy-to-use, multi-function information software for your handheld an
107. 400MHz Dell Axim for under $200! 4/25/2003
There are only a few of these refurb units in stock. Last time they were gone in only a few days, so act quickly to snap up a great deal!
The Inquirer is reporting that Siemens has such a product on display Afzane has released another flash-based game for the Pocket PC Got st
109. Review: Quadra 4-in-1 Stylus by Belkin 4/26/2003
There are replacement styluses and then there are replacement styluses. Belkin's new Quadra 4-in-1 Pen aims at those who want a full-size pe
110. First Thoughts - Palm Zire 71 4/26/2003
I've had the new Palm Zire 71 for just over a day and am working up a full review. For now, here are my first thoughts. Post any questions y
111. RumorMill™: HP Preparing iPAQ 5500 Series 4/27/2003
HP is reportedly close to releasing a new version of its high-end iPAQ with Pocket PC 2003, a faster processor, and more RAM.
112. Review: Jack the Uni-Psychle for Linux 4/27/2003
Jack the Uni-Psychle is the first release from Discord Studios. It is a sideways scrolling platform game in the style of such classics as So
113. GSM/GPRS Phone in an SD Card NOT Coming this Year 4/28/2003
Updated Despite news reports from last week, Siemans is not going to release a mobile phone so tiny it fits in an SD card. The device is a
114. The Summer of Pocket PC 4/28/2003
With a new version of the operating system and a boatload of new handhelds, this summer looks to be an unusually exciting one for the Pocket
Used Handhelds.com wants to buy your old iPAQ, eCost has a good deal on a 512 MB CompactFlash card, there is a new ROM update for the Axim X
116. Next Generation iPods Offer Increased Handheld Features 4/28/2003
Apple's newest iPods continue to blur the line between a music player and a handheld.
Not many of these mini-laptops have made it, but this one looks really cool! Covetec has announced a Garmin iQUE case and new colors for ot
118. NEC's Next PDA to Include Software From BSquare 4/28/2003
NEC is preparing a next generation CE.NET PDA and it will be powered by applications from BSquare. BSquare has gained fame for their PDA ref
119. Gartner Says Handheld Shipments Declined 11% 4/29/2003
Market research firm Gartner reports that worldwide shipments of handhelds aren't down nearly as much as its rival IDC said last week.
120. BrightBytes™: Legend, Bluetooth, Cheap CF Modem, and More 4/29/2003
Legend has debuted its first Palm OS handheld, CDMA phone users will soon be able to use Bluetooth, CompUSA has an amazing price on a Compac
121. Dell to Release Wireless Handheld Next Year 4/29/2003
Good Technologies and Dell are collaborating to create wireless Pocket PC handhelds. The first of these should be available in 2004.
122. Review - BugMe From Electric Pocket 4/29/2003
Following our review of Pocket Informant 4, we were asked about how it compared to BugMe, an alarm/notepad combination for both Palm OS and
Gartner claims PDA shipments fell 11% in Q1 2003 Iambic has released an update to AllTime, time and expense tracker O2 to Launch Smartphon
124. Review - Ara Que Assault Version 1.0 4/29/2003
Ara-Que Assault (AQA) is a Space Invaders clone that was originally designed for mobile phones using the Symbian platform. A Palm OS version
125. Brighthand Reviews the Palm Tungsten C 4/30/2003
Palm?s latest high-end handheld, the Tungsten C, is a breakthrough device for the platform, offering a 400 MHz processor, 64 MB of RAM, and
Dell has announced plans to work with Good to bring wireless hanhelds to market The latest chapter in the EverQuest saga is now available f
more than 100 focused websites providing quick access to a deep store of
news, advice and analysis about the technologies, products and processes crucial
to the jobs of IT pros.
All Rights Reserved, Copyright 2000 - 2013, TechTarget | Read our Privacy Statement