Listed below are all of our news and reviews articles for April 2004. If you are looking for an article on a particular day or on a particular topic, you can use the menu on the right to narrow your search
2004 ArticlesJanuary | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December |
April 2004 Topics
SmartPhone Articles for April of 2004
Below are the 128 SmartPhone articles for April of 2004
1. RumorMill™: Dell Developing VGA Pocket PC 4/1/2004
Evidence has emerged that Dell will be using a 640-by-480-pixel screen in an upcoming Axim model.
2. N-Gage 2 Probably Debuting on April 14 4/1/2004
It now appears that the new and improved version of Nokia's gaming-oriented smart phone will be announced in just a couple of weeks.
When it hits the market later this year, the Voq will be the first Windows Mobile smart phone to include a built-in QWERTY keyboard.
Zaurus SL-6000 WiFi version available IT managers: smartphones inadequate and costly Faster XScales to be announced mid-April WiFi Memory
5. Long Awaited Apple PDA Surfaces! 4/1/2004
It appears that the long wait is over for Apple fans to finally have a "Mac" powered PDA. In a totally unexpected overnight release, the ne
6. Handango Names People's Choice Award Winners 4/2/2004
Handango has named the People's Choice award winners for Palm OS, Pocket PC, Symbian, and Java software.
7. palmOne Delivers Updated Java Runtime 4/2/2004
palmOne has released an ARM-processor-optimized Java runtime for end users.
8. Brighthand Weekly Gaming Roundup 4/2/2004
Astraware releases three new games, Daedalus 3D released, Warring Nations introduced, and much more.
9. palmOne Drops Price on Tungsten C 4/2/2004
In what may be a sign that a replacement is on the way, the list price of the palmOne Tungsten C has been cut from $499 to $399.
10. Users Petition for Windows Mobile SE Updates 4/2/2004
Users of some Pocket PCs that might not get an update to the latest version of the operating system are signing online petitions to let comp
11. PDA News - Astraware, New cases, Tactical Incursion 4/2/2004
50% off select Astraware games; new releases Proporta introduces clear cases Tactical stratgy by Xen Games
BoulderMaZZZe is a great game, centred on a small mole, whose quest in life is to collect as many diamonds as he can. A simple enough object
13. JavoEdge Equips Treo 600 Owners With New Accessories 4/3/2004
JavoEdge has released a new case, sync cable, and screen protector for Treo 600 owners.
14. Synchronize Your Zodiac with Your Mac 4/3/2004
The Missing Sync for Tapwave lets users connect and synchronize information between a Zodiac console and a computer running Mac OS X.
15. New Sharp Zaurus SL-6000L: First Impressions 4/3/2004
Although Sharp's press releases and PR people have been insisting that the SL-6000 is an Enterprise-only device, they are actually available
Amazon.com has a nice little PDA promotion going on right now. Take advantage of a $50 gift card, no tax and free shipping to land a pretty
17. The Archos AV500 Will Combine a PDA with a PVP 4/5/2004
Archos' recently-announced AV500 will combine a Personal Video Player and a handheld computer.
SoftMaker has released a free public beta version of PlanMaker for Pocket PC, a Microsoft Excel-compatible spreadsheet application.
19. Sony Working on a Vaio Line of PDAs? 4/5/2004
Last week Sony announced a plan to expand with more Sony Style stores. They also quietly announced plans to leverage the Vaio brand name wit
20. PROPortable Offering ASUS Bluetooth GPS Kit 4/6/2004
PROPortable has just begun offering a Bluetooth-enabled GPS receiver that is compatible with both Palm OS and Pocket PC devices.
21. Software Update Brings New Features to Zodiac 4/6/2004
Tapwave has released a system update that allows Zodiacs to play music in the background, along with many other small changes.
22. HP Launches Trade-In Program 4/6/2004
HP is now offering a program that allows people to trade in a previously-owned handheld for a discount off a new iPAQ. The pre-owned device
23. Intel Publishes Top 100 Unwired Cities and Colleges 4/6/2004
The annual report by Sterlings Research on behalf of Intel Corp. has been published, and once again the West Coast of the U.S. is tops in wi
MissingSync connects Zodiacs, Macs Tungsten|C price reduced by $100 Handheld basics seminar in PA
25. HP Launches iPAQ Trade In Program 4/6/2004
Trade-in programs have been leveraged by palmOne and others in the past, now HP wants in on the action. The program runs through July 10th a
26. VoIP Now Available on Pocket PCs For Free 4/6/2004
Thanks to a beta release of their Windows Mobile software, Skype Technologies is letting PPC users place phone calls using voice over IP (Vo
An employee at a U.S. wireless service provider has found a mention of an upcoming cellular-wireless Pocket PC in his company's tech support
28. Brighthand's First Impressions of the PocketSurfer 4/7/2004
The PocketSurfer isn't a handheld or a smart phone; instead, it's an accessory for smart phones that brings a much improved web browsing exp
29. PocketSkype Provides Free Worldwide Mobile Calls 4/7/2004
A beta of PocketSkype for Windows Mobile 2003 handhelds enables free worldwide voice calls over a Wi-Fi connection.
30. Nokia's Sales Down Slightly, Investors Spooked 4/7/2004
Nokia has announced that its first quarter 2004 net sales will be below its previous estimates, though it still expects to meet its guidance
31. First Thoughts RIM BlackBerry 7230 4/7/2004
The BlackBerry 7200 series devices offer a phenomenal keyboard, serviceable display and an easy to navigate user interface. RIM’s BlackBerry
32. RIM Has Another Very Profitable Quarter 4/8/2004
During its most recent quarter, both Research In Motion's revenue and net profit were up substantially.
33. Treo 600 May Be Coming to Verizon 4/8/2004
It appears Verizon Wireless may soon begin offering the Treo 600 smart phone.
Although companies have been adding small hard drives to portable MP3 players for years, including one in a smart phone is a much more diffi
Treo 600 briefly listed on Verizon Wireless site iPaq 6300 in wireless carrier's database? Replacement TH55 flip covers Software updates:
Sony has released a software upgrade for both the TJ27 and TJ37. The TJ27 gets two updates centered on fixing power issues. The TJ37 gets th
37. Smartphones Will Not Mean the End of Handhelds 4/9/2004
Brighthand's Editor-in-Chief takes on all the people who are saying that handhelds are doomed, and explains why these devices will still be
38. Brighthand Weekly Gaming Roundup 4/9/2004
New games this week include K&G Arcade for Pocket PC, GameBox Asia for Palm OS, IntelliGolf for Smartphones, and more.
39. New Aluminum Case For Treo 600 on the Market 4/9/2004
An aluminum case for the Treo 600 smart phone is now available from several online stores.
Toshiba and ASUS have officially stated that they will release in the U.S. free Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition updates for their Pocket
TH55 applications update WiFi devices increasing in number, market share Possible Treo shortage
42. More HP iPaq 6300 Pictures Surface 4/9/2004
BargainPDA.com was sent a picture by an anonymous source that has access to some manuals that exist for the iPaq 6300. The picture shows ho
43. RumorMill™: First Pictures of N-Gage 2 (Updated) 4/11/2004
Some images of Nokia's upcoming gaming-oriented smart phone have been leaked on the Web.
44. Intel Unveils Next-Generation XScale Processors 4/12/2004
Intel has taken the wraps off its long-awaited "Bulverde" series of processors for handhelds and smart phones.
45. HP Posts iPAQ h5500 Series ROM Update 4/12/2004
HP has posted on its support web site a ROM update for the iPAQ h5550/h5555. This fixes various bugs and add a few enhancements.
Intel has officially launced its next generation of XScale processors today. Introducing the new XScale PXA270 series family, which we've k
47. Will Bluetooth Be Dead By 2006? 4/12/2004
If Intel has its way, Bluetooth will be a dead technology by the end of 2005. Intel’s pushing hard for a new wireless USB standard, called W
48. Rubberized Cases For Zire 21 and iPAQ 1900 Now Shipping 4/13/2004
SkinTight rubberized cases are now available for the palmOne Zire 21 and all HP iPAQ 1900 series models.
49. Sony Releases Updates for TH55 and TJ Series 4/13/2004
Over the last few days, Sony has posted on its support web site a number of software updates for some of its latest models.
Although the latest version of this operating system has some great features, it can't run most current Pocket PC applications until they
51. Offline Dictionaries Now Available For RIM BlackBerry 4/13/2004
Beiks has released several new offline dictionaries for the RIM BlackBerry platform.
52. MovieRec Available for Treo 600 and Zire 71 4/13/2004
MovieRec is the first and only freely available video recorder for the Treo 600.
53. PDA News - iPaq 6300 specs, iPaq update, Treo case 4/13/2004
Purported specifications of iPaq 6300 ROM update for iPaq 5550 Aluminum Treo 600 case Update: Handheld basics seminar rescheduled
54. Are You a Fast Tracker or Part of a Techno-Tribe? 4/13/2004
IDC has come out with an interesting report today that segments mobile technology buyers based on the stages in their lives. I'm clearly a F
There may be two models in HP's upcoming iPAQ h6000 series: one one with a camera and one without.
56. Nokia Takes the Wraps Off the N-Gage QD 4/14/2004
Nokia has just announced the N-Gage QD, the next generation of its gaming-oriented, cellular-wireless handheld. This was created to replace
A few online retail stores already have listings for a pair of upcoming Zire models. These are expected to be available before the end of th
58. PDA News - iPaq 6300 picture, iPaq patch, Clie updates 4/14/2004
MTekk has iPaq 6300 photo Patch for iPaq 2200 SD memory bug Wireless and battery drain fixes for TJ27, TJ37, TH55 The Return of the Son o
59. USI Expecting a Four Fold Increase in Sales in 2005 4/14/2004
While many are calling for a continued slump in PDA sales, at least one manufacturer is seeing more than expected sales coming in 2005. USI
60. Brighthand Reviews the Apple iPod mini 4/15/2004
Brighthand founder Steve Bush takes a look at the iPod mini, a small, lightweight device that lets you bring more than 60 hours of music --
61. Samsung i550 Palm OS Smart Phone Gets FCC Approval 4/15/2004
A new Palm OS smart phone from Samsung should be available on the Sprint wireless network sometime before the end of this year.
62. RumorMill™: Toshiba Developing e830 4/15/2004
Reportedly, Toshiba is working on a replacement for the e805. Supposedly, the new version will include a VGA screen and dual forms of wirele
63. PDA News - 1 Gig SD for $266, N-Gage, iPod rocks on 4/15/2004
1 Gigbyte SD memory card for $266 shipped New Nokia N-Gage QD iPod sales up 900%
64. palmOne Zire 31 and Zire 72 to be Released on April 28th 4/15/2004
According to The Register, palmOne will release the oft rumored Zire 31 and Zire 72 PDAs at the end of this month. While bargainPDA.com is u
65. Toshiba e830 Pocket PC Device Rumored 4/15/2004
Pocket PC Tools has posted a story that suggests a refresh of the Toshiba e800 and e805 line could be coming as soon as July. The e830 would
66. Pocket Loox 4xx Gets Bluetooth Approval 4/16/2004
The Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox 4xx is now listed as an approved product on the official Bluetooth Qualification Program web site. Previousl
67. Brighthand Weekly Gaming Roundup 4/16/2004
Astraware announces Hellfire; Heroes of Might & Magic III under development for Pocket PC; and some Clickgamer specials.
A public beta of Lightspeed 2.0 has been released, adding support for twelve more devices, along with other improvements.
69. Preview - Samsung i550 Palm OS SmartPhone 4/16/2004
Samsung will be refreshing its i500 Palm OS SmartPhone device with a release of the Samsung i550 in the U.S. on the Sprint network later thi
70. PDA News - WiMax, Loox 400, New games 4/17/2004
WiMax may get more spectrum Loox 400 series gets approval Apache vs. Hind; Heroes of Might and Magic 3 for the PocketPC?
Scientists and engineers are working on a number of products that could have a significant impact on future handhelds and smart phones, incl
72. Wireless Data Goes Mainstream 4/19/2004
In-Stat/MDR has announced the results of a survey which found that more than half of the respondents were using one or more wireless data se
73. Another Wi-Fi SD Card on the Market 4/19/2004
The Pocket PC version of the AmbiCom Wave2Net Wireless SD Card is available now, but a Palm OS version isn't expected until this summer.
They’re not mutually exclusive, a PDA can have both, but in the mid-level price range, most PDAs offer only one or the other. First off, it’
75. Government Employees Can Now Use Treo 600 With GoodLink 4/20/2004
Good Technology has received FIPS certification for the Goodlink wireless messaging system on the Treo 600.
76. RumorMill™: Additional Details on the HP iPAQ h6300 4/20/2004
Even more information has emerged on HP's upcoming Pocket PC with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GSM/GPRS, including a surprise about which version o
77. Toshiba Doesn't Deny e830 Is in Development 4/20/2004
A rumor surfaced last week that Toshiba is developing the e830, a replacement for the e805 that will include a faster processor. The rumor a
78. Libraries Loaning Ebooks in Mobipocket Format 4/20/2004
Dozens of public libraries are now to allowing patrons to borrow ebooks in Mobipocket Format.
New WiFi SDIO card from Ambicom Lightspeed supports overclocking more devices Intel's Marathon graphics chip: VGA at 30 FPS? Kinoma offer
HP holds a slim lead over palmOne for the #1 sales spot of PDAs while Microsoft is dominating the Palm OS for operating system market share
81. Ten Events That Shaped Pocket PC 4/21/2004
To commemorate the fourth anniversary of Pocket PC, Brighthand has compiled its list of the ten top events that have shaped the platform.
82. New Patent May Be a Hint of Apple's Handheld Plans 4/21/2004
Apple recently received a patent for a method of handling a rotating computer screen. Though this would not normally be of interest to most
83. Motorola Licenses BlackBerry Technology 4/21/2004
RIM has just announced that it has signed a licensing agreement with Motorola, Inc.
Shipments of both handhelds and mobile phones increased by double digits in the EMEA region last quarter.
85. Review – Vaja SD Keeper 4/21/2004
Thought you had it all eh? Well, if you own a PDA that has a Secure Digital slot, then you’re probably missing something. Enter the Vaja SD
86. Digitizer Recalibration a Necessity 4/22/2004
Many handheld users don't realize it's necessary to occasionally recalibrate their device's digitizer. Doing so can noticeably improve a han
87. JAVOSkin Encases the Tungsten E 4/22/2004
JAVOEdge is now taking pre-orders for the JAVOSkin case for the palmOne Tungsten E.
88. Kinoma Media Album Now Available for Palm OS Handhelds 4/22/2004
Kinoma Media Album allows desktop PC users to create multimedia albums including video, pictures, and sound that can be played on Palm OS ha
89. palmOne Successfully Woos New Users with Zire Line 4/22/2004
palmOne announced today that it has sold more than 3 million handhelds in its Zire line in less than 18 months.
palmOne is starting to sound like a fast-food chain. Their extremely popular Zire family has now surpassed 3 million units sold in under 18
UK site PC Pro has posted details of the Zire 31 and Zire 72, including a picture of the latter well ahead of what palmOne would like.
92. palmOne Zire 31 and Zire 72 Picture Gallery 4/22/2004
A user at the Fotki community site has posted excellent pictures of both the Zire 31 and the Zire 72, along with some side-by-side pictures
Executive Planet for Palm OS provides cultural information for business travelers to 42 worldwide destinations.
Intellisync has added synchronization support for Windows Mobile smartphones. This application now provides smartphone users with two-way, d
HP and Information Appliance Associates have teamed up to create web site which urges users of Palm OS models to trade in their Palms for re
96. Weekly Gaming Roundup 4/23/2004
97. Old palmOne Cradles Help Hack Digital Cameras 4/23/2004
Disposable digital cameras are quickly gaining popularity. While the 1.3 megapixel units aren't great, a new hack leveraging a few parts inc
98. Electronic Ink Ebook Reader Debuts in Japan 4/24/2004
Sony's LIBRIe is the first device to use the Electronic Ink display developed by E Ink Corporation and Philips Electronics. Other devices us
99. PalmOne to Launch Treo 610 on Verizon Network 4/24/2004
A DowJones news wire published early in the morning on Saturday discusses a Treo 610 device that will likely be launched on the Verizon netw
100. RumorMill™: New Daxian Pocket PC Phone Coming to Sprint 4/25/2004
Reportedly, a new cellular-wireless Pocket PC designed by Daxian Telecom will be available in the U.S. from Sprint later this year.
101. RumorMill™: Analyst Confirms Treo 610 4/25/2004
An industry analyst has included a mention of an unannounced smart phone from palmOne it one of his research notes.
Hands High Software has released WiFile, a Palm OS application that allows handhelds with a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connection to an office netwo
103. Public Beta of mPack for Microsoft Smartphones Now Available 4/26/2004
Glass Lantern's mPack, featuring eleven tools and utilities for Windows Mobile smartphones, is now in public beta.
104. AnexTEK Launches SP230 Windows Mobile Smartphone 4/26/2004
AnexTEK, a subsidiary of Wistron, has launched a self-branded Windows Mobile 2003 Smartphone called the SP230. The unit will be released in
105. News of the Weird: Cow Tracking Software for Palm OS 4/26/2004
Life's tough when you have a 300+ Cow herd to be tracking in Wyoming. But cowboys are finding that with radio tagging, Bluetooth and a Palm
106. 802.11g May Be Coming Soon to a Handheld Near You 4/27/2004
Atheros Communications is now shipping in volume the world's first complete IEEE 802.11g solution that fits on a single chip, making it quit
107. Worldwide Handheld Shipments Dropped 12% Last Quarter 4/27/2004
According to IDC, the worldwide market for handheld devices declined in the first three months of 2004, breaking a six-month trend of upward
108. PDA and Tech Deals for 4/27 - 4/28 4/27/2004
Hot PDA Deals with $20 off + $100 rebate from OfficeDepot.comMotorola MPx200 Smartphone (ATT), you get Paid $40Sandisk 256 MB Secure Digital
109. palmOne Releases the Zire 72 4/27/2004
MILPITAS, Calif., April 28, 2004 -- palmOne, Inc. (Nasdaq: PLMO), the world’s leading maker of handheld computers, today announced the Zire(
110. palmOne Releases the Zire 31 4/27/2004
MILPITAS, Calif., April 28, 2004 -- palmOne, Inc. (Nasdaq: PLMO), the world’s leading maker of handheld computers, today announced the Zire(
111. palmOne Zire 31 Review 4/27/2004
With over 3 million units sold, PalmOne's Zire line must be doing something right. Today PalmOne provides us two new additions to this now v
112. palmOne Zire 72 Review 4/27/2004
One year ago, PalmOne--then Palm Solutions Group--released the Zire 71, a mid-range consumer model that hit it big. Now they're back with an
113. palmOne Introduces Two New Color Zire Models 4/28/2004
palmOne has just taken the wraps off a pair of new models in its Zire line of consumer-oriented handhelds. The Zire 72 is an improved versio
114. Brighthand Reviews the palmOne Zire 72 4/28/2004
The Zire 72 offers a much faster processor, more memory, and a higher resolution camera than its predecessor, the popular Zire 71. It also a
115. Brighthand Reviews the palmOne Zire 31 4/28/2004
The Zire 31 is palmOne's first entry-level model to offer a color screen, a built-in SD card slot, and the ability to to play MP3 files.
116. Toshiba Gets Approval for Bluetooth 1.2 SDIO Card 4/28/2004
The Bluetooth Qualification Program has given its approval to a new SDIO card that uses the latest version of the Bluetooth specification.
117. Pretec Announces Seven Upcoming SDIO Cards 4/28/2004
Pretec Electronics Corp. has announced that it will release seven new SDIO cards later this year, including two wireless networking cards, t
118. ACCESS Provides NetFront 3.1 For P800, P900 4/29/2004
NetFront 3.1 is now available for the Sony Ericsson P800 and P900, plus other Symbian-based smartphones using the UIQ interface.
119. U.S. Smartphone Buyers Prefer Palm OS 4/29/2004
Although the Symbian OS is the most popular smartphone operating system in Europe, most smartphones sold in the U.S. run the Palm OS.
120. FCC Approves Mystery Wireless Pocket PC (Updated) 4/29/2004
The Federal Communications Commission has given High Tech Computer (HTC) permission to release in the United States a new wireless Pocket PC
Handheld sales drop 12% from prior quarter Pretec debuts new SDIO cards Samsung offers 'push' email to i600
122. PDA And Tech Deals 4/29 - 4/30 4/29/2004
New Palm Zire Offers + Palm Tungsten E Free Overnight Shipping256MB Secure Digital Card $49.99 After RebateSMC EZ Connect 11Mbps 802.11b Wir
123. Pocket Loox 400 Gets FCC Approval 4/30/2004
The Federal Communications Commission has given High Tech Computer permission to release in the United States a new wireless Pocket PC. This
The battle for the handheld operating system market has heated up as PalmSource and Microsoft were in a virtual tie in shipments in the firs
125. Palm Desktop Receives a Facelift for Windows, Mac 4/30/2004
Palm Desktop 4.1.4 for Windows and 4.2.1 for Mac have been released, adding support for additional features.
126. palmOne's CFO Leaving for SanDisk 4/30/2004
Judy Bruner, palmOne's chief financial officer for many years, is leaving the company to become CFO at SanDisk.
127. Palm OS and Microsoft Windows CE Neck and Neck in Sales 4/30/2004
While global shipments of PDAs fell 4.6 percent in the first Quarter of 2004, the fight for the PDA operating system market share has come t
128. OfficeDepot.com $120 Off PDA Offer Extended 4/30/2004
Office Depot has extended its $100 rebate offer to May 1st after originally expiring it yesterday, those in Alaska and Hawaii can get the of
more than 100 focused websites providing quick access to a deep store of
news, advice and analysis about the technologies, products and processes crucial
to the jobs of IT pros.
All Rights Reserved, Copyright 2000 - 2013, TechTarget | Read our Privacy Statement