Listed below are all of our news and reviews articles for August 2001. If you are looking for an article on a particular day or on a particular topic, you can use the menu on the right to narrow your search
2001 ArticlesJanuary | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December |
August 2001 Topics
SmartPhone Articles for August of 2001
Below are the 62 SmartPhone articles for August of 2001
A new software package enables businesses to send confidential corporate and personal data, such as financial statements and medical records
2. Sony Cuts Prices on 'Memory Stick' Format 8/1/2001
SAN DIEGO (Reuters) - Sony Corp (news - web sites). (6758.T) said on Wednesday that it cut prices on its proprietary flash memory format, wh
3. Sprint to turn Handspring's Visor into cell 8/2/2001
Sprint PCS customers who own Handspring Visors will soon be able to use the devices to make phone calls and surf the Web on the Sprint PCS n
4. Free-falling flash lifts PDA's, MP3 players 8/2/2001
As flash memory prices continue to plummet--Sony just reduced memory stick prices by 37 percent--price tags for digital audio devices will d
5. Sony's Memory Stick to sign up Samsung 8/2/2001
Consumer electronics giant Samsung announced on Thursday its plans to develop products that use Sony's flash-memory format, Memory Stick.
6. RIM faces uncertain future, shares eroding fast 8/4/2001
TORONTO, Aug 3 (Reuters) - Shares of Research In Motion (NasdaqNM:RIMM - news)(Toronto:RIM.TO - news) fell 8 percent on Friday for a 23 perc
7. Study: 85 Million PDA Shipments by 2006 8/6/2001
Strategy Analytics forecasts global PDA retail revenues will increase five-fold by 2006 as unit shipments pass 85 million.
8. For Palm users, a PowerPoint show 8/6/2001
Software maker DataViz on Monday unveiled an application that brings PowerPoint presentations, along with other Microsoft Office features, t
9. Handheld sales down but not out 8/6/2001
The slow economy clipped the wings of handheld sales during the second quarter, but not enough to ground them completely.
10. Pocket PC's Mixed-up Metaphor 8/8/2001
Pocket PC is supposed to be a variation of Windows, built on the Windows CE operating system. It's intended to leverage this relationship in
11. The Wireless Disconnect 8/8/2001
As this week's Interactive Week special report points out, there are a lot of myths surrounding wireless, most of which have to do with univ
12. Palm CEO says his company not aggressive enough 8/8/2001
BOSTON, Aug 8 (Reuters) - The chief executive of Palm Inc. on Wednesday conceded the No. 1 maker of handheld devices has not been aggressive
13. Lawsuit alleges Palm defect 8/8/2001
The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in San Francisco County Superior Court, claimed the function that allows people to synchronize the data of the mo
PC-EPhone, Inc. is pleased to announce that beginning immediately, it will take orders in the United States and Canada for the world's first
15. HandEra 330 in stock at iGO for $349.99 8/10/2001
The HandEra 330, one of the most popular PDA's on the market, is in stock and ready for rapid delivery from iGO. We've had numerous good rep
16. Palm to groove with Liquid Audio music 8/10/2001
Handheld device maker Palm has tapped online music software and services company Liquid Audio to offer some Palm customers a window into sec
17. Still searching for a PDA Case? 8/11/2001
What the quick-moving, shoot from the hip PDA user may be looking for. It's here!
Goodguys.com has the Clie 610 in stock and ready to ship for $399.99. They also offer free shipping and tax free sales! That's as good as sa
19. Microsoft: A round of Talisker for everyone 8/13/2001
Microsoft plans to announce on Monday a new, more widely available test version of "Talisker," the code name for the next version of its Win
20. All PDA's on sale at Amazon.com and $15 Off! 8/13/2001
Amazon.com is running a 'back to school' special on the prices for all of their PDA devices, they have some really outstanding deals and it'
21. Staples.com SPECIAL OFFER...Sony Clie $450.87 8/13/2001
Staples has a $50 off coupon (use coupon code 80147) for a $500 purchase or more, the Clie costs $499.98 (close, but not $500.00). bargainP
22. REVIEW: Sony Clie 610c/v 8/14/2001
Assuming MP3 audio is not a necessity for you, this is the single best Palm-powered PDA I've seen. I've been through: a PalmPilot Profession
The company is set to launch a new low-end handheld called the m125 next week, according to detailed specification sheets leaked to several
24. RUMOR: Handspring's new units on the way! 8/14/2001
I number of rumors have been floating around recently about Handspring possibly releasing two new products this month.
Well, it’s official—smaller is definitely better in this apres-desktop PC environment. And to show its fighting spirit, Compaq’s research la
26. Compaq may return to color-only handhelds 8/15/2001
As Compaq Computer considers moving to color screens only for its iPaq handhelds, prices for its black-and-white line have reached new lows.
27. Palm seeks software boost with Be buy 8/16/2001
Palm on Thursday announced it is acquiring the assets and intellectual property of software maker Be for $11 million in stock, as it pursues
Amazon.com is offering a Compaq iPAQ 3135 Monochrome Pocket PC with a CompactFlash Card Jacket and a 32 MB Viking CompactFlash Card for $14
29. Researcher's Say PDAs Prone to Hacker Attacks 8/17/2001
Handheld computers such as those using the industry leading Palm Inc. operating system are increasingly vulnerable to hacker attacks and sho
30. Rumor: A First Look at Future Wireless Palms 8/17/2001
A source has come forward with some info on Palm's plans for the next two generations of wireless handhelds. According to this source, the
Planetfeedback.com and bargainPDA.com have formed a partnership to allow bargainPDA.com users to speak out about their favorite, or, most ha
32. Handspring homes in on midrange 8/18/2001
Handspring plans to release two new handhelds into the increasingly crowded midlevel market. The move comes amidst similar activity from riv
33. Prices slashed on Handspring PDA's 8/19/2001
Let the price cutting begin! Staples.com has cut prices on many of the Handspring PDA's, including a $50 reduction on most of the Deluxe uni
34. PDA prices plunge 8/20/2001
Prices fall as sales lag and inventory mounts
35. Will Handspring release new PDA's today? 8/20/2001
All rumors have been pointing to Handspring releasing two new handhelds as early as today. Could it be that Handspring is trying to beat Pal
36. No new Handsprings today... 8/20/2001
A source within Handspring told me that there will not be any new units released today. The verbiage he used however, lead me to believe tha
37. Handhelds try to shake hangover 8/20/2001
After a brutal six months, the handheld industry is looking to new midrange devices and wireless access to get past its first major slump.
38. Handheld Makers Hope to See Some Christmas in September 8/21/2001
Analysts are gearing up for new offerings in time for the back-to-school season from beleaguered Palm (PALM:Nasdaq - news - commentary - res
39. Intel Discontinues Rex Organizers 8/22/2001
Intel Corp. (news/quote) discontinued the Rex line of handheld organizers Tuesday, saying the credit card-size gadgets do not fit into the c
40. Picture This: The new HP Jornada 560 series 8/22/2001
We have learned from infosync that the talk about new Jornada’s appears to be legitimate. As it goes, many rumors have been circulating abou
41. Sharp to Make 3G PDAs for NTT DoCoMo 8/22/2001
During a news conference to announce a new multimedia version of its popular Zaurus line of PDAs, Sharp said the advanced 3G handheld comput
42. Intel increases grip on handheld market 8/23/2001
Intel will work with Compaq to help accelerate the development of wireless handheld devices and related applications.
43. Debating Merits of Palms in Class 8/23/2001
Ann Arbor Open School in Michigan is an alternative public school that prides itself on accepting new ideas and student individuality, talen
A source who has spoken with a former Palm employee says that Panasonic is going to announce early next week that they have licenced the Pal
45. Liquid Audio's Secure Portable Player Platform (SP3) 8/24/2001
A few weeks ago, Palm announced that it had licenced both Liquid Audio's Secure Portable Player Platform (SP3) and the Liquid Store.
46. Visor Platinum only $199, Visor Edge just $299! 8/25/2001
Handspring has taken the initiative by cutting the prices up to 25% on almost all of their PDA’s.
47. Palm taps AT&T exec 8/27/2001
NEW YORK (CNNfn) - Palm Inc. has hired David Nigel, AT&T Corp.'s chief technology officer, to become president and CEO of its software unit,
AlphaSmart, Inc., a leading provider of technology solutions for education, and Palm, Inc. (Nasdaq: PALM),the leading provider of operating
The new handhelds will be part of HP's Jornada 560 series, the sources said. One will come with 32MB of memory and the other with 64MB. Both
50. Amazon.com 128 MB Flash Memory Special - $79.99 8/27/2001
Amazon.com is selling Memorex 128 MB Compact Flash Memory on special for $89.99. If you use the coupon code DSCVRBACKSCH and get $10 furthe
51. Devices combine phone, PDA features 8/28/2001
Here is a preview of some of the models that will be arriving in the next few months. Final prices haven't been announced for any of them at
52. Handspring giving away VisorPhones! 8/28/2001
Today, Handspring begins offering its cell phone module, the VisorPhone, for free, with the purchase of a Visor handheld.
53. Confirmed: Palm's next wireless device on the way 8/28/2001
Palm's upcoming wireless handheld has moved closer to launch after the company received regulatory approval Monday for the device, which Pal
54. Handspring to launch two PDA-cell phones 8/29/2001
Handspring on Tuesday received regulatory approval for two handhelds that combine cell phone, Web browsing and traditional organizer functio
55. New wireless handhelds? Not so fast! 8/29/2001
The Federal Communications Commission, which earlier this week approved new wireless handhelds from Palm and Handspring, has now set aside i
56. Sega aims its games at PDAs 8/30/2001
Video-game developer Sega of America said Wednesday that it is teaming with Synovial, a provider of wireless multimedia technology, to bring
57. Silicon Insights: Microsoft's PDA Bid 8/31/2001
Microsoft goes after Palm's PDA clients. Can it win this late in the game?
58. Sonic the Hedgehog burrows into iPaq 8/31/2001
Sega has signed a deal that will get its computer games on handheld computers in the United States for the first time, the company said Thur
59. CNET adds the Palm m125 to their database 8/31/2001
Palm continues to keep quiet regarding the pending release of their new Palm m125 unit. Well, we now have confirmation, sort of...
60. RUMOR: Palm m525 on it's way! 8/31/2001
Rumor has it that this new m505 replacement will be announced in March of next year at Cebit 2002 in Hannover Germany.
61. Microsoft's one-two punch for handhelds 8/31/2001
Microsoft will hit Palm with a double whammy next week when it announces two new versions of its operating system for handheld computers, so
THERE IS A new contender in the race to create the perfect merger of the hand-held computer and the wireless phone. Samsung, the Korean elec
more than 100 focused websites providing quick access to a deep store of
news, advice and analysis about the technologies, products and processes crucial
to the jobs of IT pros.
All Rights Reserved, Copyright 2000 - 2013, TechTarget | Read our Privacy Statement