Listed below are all of our news and reviews articles for August 2008. If you are looking for an article on a particular day or on a particular topic, you can use the menu on the right to narrow your search
2008 ArticlesJanuary | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December |
August 2008 Topics
SmartPhone Articles for August of 2008
Below are the 105 SmartPhone articles for August of 2008
Mantis Bible is a new offline Bible reader for Apple's iPhone and iPod Touch.
2. MWg Zinc II Gets a Big Price Reduction 8/1/2008
MWg America has cut the price on its latest Windows Mobile smartphone, the Zinc II. This device -- which offers a sliding keyboard, 3G, Wi-F
3. Most Popular Smartphones and Handhelds of July 8/1/2008
Each month, Brighthand publishes a list of the handhelds and smartphones that readers have shown the most interest in during the preceding f
Casio Hitachi Mobile Communications has unveiled three flip model phones that use 2.7-inch e-Ink displays on their exterior.
5. Astraware Announces Summer Sale 8/2/2008
Astraware has announced a summer sale where 25 games are going to be reduced up to 50% off their normal prices.
6. Skype Gets Windows Mobile 6.1 Pro Support 8/2/2008
Skype has released a new version of its VoIP software that supports that latest version of Windows Mobile.
7. HTC Touch Diamond Coming to Sprint this Month? 8/3/2008
A news report in China says that the U.S. wireless carrier Sprint will launch HTC's latest consumer-oriented Windows Mobile smartphone in Au
Windows Mobile and Symbian S60 users can now download versions of Google Maps for Mobile with a new feature: turn-by-turn directions that ma
9. AT&T Has an Exclusive on the iPhone Until 2010 8/3/2008
According to a new report, AT&T's contract that makes it the one and only provider of the iPhone in the U.S. will last until 2010, at least.
10. Android Still on Course to Debut this Year 8/4/2008
Getting a new mobile operating system on the market isn't a simple task, as Google and its partners are learning. Still, despite problems HT
11. eReader for iPhone/iPod Touch Updated to v1.1 8/4/2008
Earlier comments from Steve Jobs that electronic book readers will not be successful has not stopped Fictionwise from releasing an update of
Apple won't let StyleTap offer its Palm OS emulator through the official iPhone App Store, but the company isn't giving up.
13. MWg Zinc II Review 8/4/2008
Antoine Wright brings us a "first thoughts" review of the MWg Zinc II, a new Windows Mobile smartphone with a sliding keyboard, 3G, Wi-Fi, G
14. Apple Releases iPhone 2.0.1 Software Update 8/4/2008
A new version of the system software for Apple's smartphone is now available through iTunes.
15. Low-Cost iPhone nano Coming for Christmas? 8/5/2008
The feature that has attracted the most attention to the new iPhone 3G is its $200 price tag. While this is fairly low, Apple is supposedly
Samsung's next smartphone, the S60-powered InnoV8, will take direct aim at Nokia's N95/N96 models by having the most features that can be pa
17. Asus Eee PC 901 Review 8/5/2008
The Eee PC 901 is the latest in Asus' subnotebook line, and includes a larger screen, larger keyboard... and larger price tag. Jerry Jackson
A new leak gives detailed information on the versions of the HTC Touch Diamond and Touch Pro that will be released by Sprint and Verizon.
Mark/Space's Missing Sync for Symbian allows both S60 and UIQ device to synchronize with a computer running Mac OS X.
20. Jobs Acknowledges Problems with MobileMe 8/6/2008
Apple CEO Steve Jobs has admitted publicly that his company's MobileMe service has significant problems, and discussed what the plans are to
21. Delta Bringing Wi-Fi Service to All Domestic Flights 8/6/2008
Delta Air Lines customers traveling throughout the continental United States will soon have the option of Wi-Fi access on their flight.
22. Olive Tree's BibleReader for BlackBerry Updated 8/6/2008
Olive Tree has released a new beta of its BibleReader 4.0 for BlackBerry. This brings a few software and usability enhancements.
23. HTC Touch Diamond Nearing the 1 Million Mark 8/6/2008
HTC CEO's was proud to announce that his company is close to shipping its millionth Touch Diamond, a smartphone that debuted less than three
24. T-Mobile Launches 3G Network in Las Vegas 8/6/2008
T-Mobile U.S.A.'s 3G network has been a long time coming, but now customers in Las Vegas will have the opportunity to use this long-awaited
25. MobiTV Now Has 4 Million+ Subscribers 8/7/2008
MobiTV's network for mobile television and radio has surpassed the four million subscriber mark.
26. A First Glimpse of the Motorola Alexander 8/7/2008
Motorola is reportedly working on a new Windows Mobile smartphone with a strong emphasis on multimedia.
27. Access Sets Its Sights on Mobile Internet Devices 8/7/2008
Access Co. Ltd. is positioning its Linux-based operating system -- one of the successors to the Palm OS -- as an option for the emerging Mob
28. Kensington LiquidAUX Bluetooth Car Kit Review 8/7/2008
The Kensington LiquidAUX Bluetooth Car Kit allows you to connect your phone to your car stereo to play music or make hands-free calls. Sarah
According to an unconfirmed report from an iPhone expert, Apple can remotely disable select third-party applications on its smartphone.
30. Nokia N85 Gets FCC Approval, U.S. 3G Compatibility 8/8/2008
New information from the FCC not only confirms the existence of the Nokia N85, but shows that it will also pack compatibility with AT&T's 3G
31. Verizon BlackBerry Curve 8330 Now Available in Pink 8/8/2008
Verizon Wireless has just begun offering the BlackBerry Curve 8330 in a pink casing.
32. Follow the Olympics on Your Phone 8/8/2008
The 2008 Summer Olympic games have begun. These may be happening in a far off country, but even people who aren't in Beijing can follow the
Astraware has continued its pace of releasing high-quality mobile gaming titles with the introduction of Insaniquarium Deluxe.
People in the United States who can't wait for Samsung's latest high-end Windows Mobile smartphone can turn to retailers who buy devices in
35. Sidekick Slide No Longer Available 8/9/2008
In what may be a response to the newly released Sidekick, T-Mobile has reportedly discontinued the Sidekick Slide.
36. The Peter Principle Strikes Back 8/9/2008
In general, the quality of online journalism is surprisingly high. That's why Adama Brown was so disappointed when a recent opinion piece fr
37. Camera Phone Sales to Double by 2012 8/10/2008
Research firm InfoTrends has published findings that suggest the number of camera phones sold will nearly double by 2012.
38. Mobbler last.fm Player for S60 Updated 8/11/2008
In the latest update to Mobbler, this application gains the ability to become a radio player for last.fm content.
39. 60 Million iPhone Apps Downloaded in 30 Days 8/11/2008
Apple CEO Steve Jobs said in an interview that over 60 million applications were downloaded in the first month the iPhone App Store was avai
Nokia has introduced a small "bug fix" update for the software on its Internet Tablet line.
41. Is This the HTC Dream? 8/11/2008
A video has appeared that supposedly shows the HTC Dream -- the upcoming smartphone that will be the first running the Android OS.
42. GTS World Racing Debutes for iPhone/iPod Touch 8/12/2008
Astraware has launched its first arcade-style title for the iPhone with the release of GTS World Racing. This is one of the first third-part
43. What's Delaying the Garmin nuvifone? 8/12/2008
Last month, Garmin admitted that the release of its nvifone had been pushed back until 2009. The company has given a rather innocuous reason
44. Nokia Email Preview 8/12/2008
Nokia recently released a beta of a new Push email service for its S60 smartphones, and Antoine Wright brings us an early hands-on preview.
45. Leaked Image Shows Motorola ''Atila'' Touchscreen Phone 8/12/2008
For the second time in recent days, a leaked photo has revealed an upcoming Windows Mobile phone by Motorola. Described as the "Atila," the
46. T-Mobile May Launch the HTC Dream in Mid-September 8/13/2008
An unconfirmed report gives the date T-Mobile will launch the HTC Dream, the very first smartphone running Google's Android operating system
47. Celio Redfly Price Dropped 20% 8/13/2008
Celio Corp. has reduced the price of the Redfly by $100, putting this powerful accessory in the range of more people.
48. Palm Orders 5 Million Smartphones for 2009 8/13/2008
Palm, Inc. is reportedly placed orders with Taiwan's Compal Communications for as many as 5 million Windows Mobile smartphones. These device
Paragon Software Group has launched a series of multilingual dictionaries for iPhone and iPod Touch. This includes dictionaries for English,
50. Sprint May Release the HTC Touch Diamond in Red 8/14/2008
By this point, reports that Sprint is going to introduce a version of the HTC Touch Diamond is old news. But there's a new twist to it: seve
51. Redfly Now Compatible with a Dozen More Smartphones 8/14/2008
Celio Corp has released drivers for its Redfly that allows this laptop-like device to be used with 12 additional smartphones, growing the co
52. PhoneFace Photo Dialer Introduced for BlackBerries 8/14/2008
PhoneFace is a new photo dialer for RIM BlackBerry devices that allows users to launch calls, text messages, and emails by clicking on the p
53. Palm Treo Pro Revealed 8/14/2008
A slip-up by Palm, Inc. may have given the world an advance look at this company's next smartphone, the Treo Pro.
Although the latest version of the iPhone has most of the features corporate smartphone users need, for many companies the lack of full devi
55. HSBC Might Buy 200,000 iPhones 8/15/2008
Recently, Apple has been emphasizing the features that have been added to its smartphone to appeal to business users. One very large company
56. Subnotebook Sales Could Reach 50 Million by 2012 8/15/2008
The market for subnotebooks -- small, low-cost devices running Windows or Linux -- only really got off the ground last year, but shipments a
57. BlackBerry 8350i May Be Coming to Sprint's iDEN Network 8/15/2008
When Sprint acquired Nextel, it also acquired its iDEN network. This carrier has continued to introduce new iDEN devices, but usually long a
58. FindMe Location Tagger Released for Symbian S60 8/16/2008
Electric Pocket has released a version of its FindMe location and tagging application for Symbian S60. This allows mobile device users to ta
59. Nokia Looking Ahead to AMOLED Screens 8/16/2008
Nokia is already planning for the days when its products will include active matrix OLED displays, instead of LED ones.
60. Motorola Q9h Gets Windows Mobile 6.1 Update 8/18/2008
Motorola has finally made official the Windows Mobile 6.1 update for the AT&T version of its Q9h smartphone.
61. New Details Emerge on the HTC Dream 8/18/2008
The launch of the HTC Dream is getting closer, and new information is coming fast and quick on this smartphone, which will be the first runn
62. More Complete Picture of Palm's Treo Pro Coming Together 8/18/2008
The first images of the Treo Pro appeared late last week, and now these have been followed by a number of pictures and details taken from a
63. Apple Releases iPhone 2.0.2 Software Update 8/18/2008
The second minor update for the system software for Apple's smartphones is now available through iTunes.
64. HTC Touch Pro Comes to Some U.S. Retailers 8/19/2008
Although no wireless carrier in the United States is officially offering the HTC Touch Pro, it's possible for U.S. consumers to get this dev
Drawing on the idea that the Today Screen is the ideal place for interacting with dynamic information, GPSToday uses it to display accurate
66. Apple Giving Away Another 60 Days of MobileMe 8/19/2008
Apple is working to improve its troubled MobileMe service, but in the mean time it's trying to keep subscribers happy by waiving the fees fo
67. First Clamshell BlackBerries Now Available for Pre-Order 8/19/2008
The mere fact that RIM hasn't announced the BlackBerry 8210 and 8220 -- this company's first smartphones with a clamshell shape -- isn't sto
68. Joikusoft and FON Planning Wi-Fi Hotspot Software 8/20/2008
A new agreement between Joikusoft and the Wi-Fi community FON has been announced which will lead to software allowing users to securely shar
The number of mobile phones bought by U.S. consumers declined 13% last quarter, but sales of smartphones rose sharply.
70. Palm Makes the Treo Pro Official 8/20/2008
Palm, Inc. has taken the wraps off its next Windows Mobile smartphone, the Treo Pro. This device will have 3G, Wi-Fi, GPS, and more.
71. Palringo for iPhone Adds Push-to-Talk Messaging 8/20/2008
The latest version of Palringo for iPhone includes Push-to-Talk -- walkie-talkie style voice instant messaging.
72. Nokia's Beta Labs Releases Enhanced Calculator for S60 8/21/2008
In a recent release, Beta Labs made available an Enhanced Calculator for Symbian S60 which is based on the Symbian S40 calculator.
73. Palm Dropping Numbers from Its Product Names 8/21/2008
The Treo 800w may be Palm's last device with a number in its name. The company is dropping the practice of assigning numbers to its products
74. Apple Working to Fix iPhone 3G Connection Problems 8/21/2008
Earlier this week, Apple released an update for the system software on the iPhone 3G. The company has admitted this was created to help alle
75. American Airlines Now Offering In-Flight Wi-Fi 8/21/2008
American Airlines is now offering Wi-Fi service to passengers on some of its trans-continental flights.
76. Streaming TV Service Comes to Nokia Internet Tablets 8/21/2008
Monsoon Multimedia has released a version of the HAVA Player for the Nokia N800 and N810. This allows those with a HAVA box to watch and con
77. Intel Making Significant Progress in Wireless Power 8/21/2008
Everyone is used to wirelessly exchanging data , but Intel is well on its way to allowing people to wireless exchange electricity.
78. Archos Launching Line of Multimedia-Oriented MIDs 8/22/2008
Archos has unveiled a line of Mobile Internet Devices (MIDs) with a strong emphasis on playing audio and video. These will have 5 to 7-inch
79. Sprint Drops Price for Phone-as-Modem Plan 8/22/2008
Sprint has dropped the price for its phone-as-a-modem (PAM) plan to just $15 a month, down from $50. However, the carrier has added new rest
80. Lonely Planet Content Now Available on Nokia Maps 8/23/2008
A new partnership with Nokia now brings Lonely Planet content to the Nokia Maps application.
81. Is This Windows Mobile 10? 8/23/2008
A new science-fiction series includes one of the characters using a very advanced smartphone running someone's concept of a future version o
82. HTC Is Manufacturing the Palm Treo Pro 8/23/2008
Palm is turning to one of its rivals to produce its latest smartphone. HTC, which produces and sells mobile devices under its own brand, is
83. Google's Orkut Updated with More S60 Support 8/24/2008
This latest version of Orkut adds an optimized experience for Symbian Series 60 (3rd Edition) phones.
84. Acer Cuts Price of Aspire one Subnotebook 8/24/2008
Acer has lowered the price of its recently-released Aspire one subnotebook by $50, making this device, which was already inexpensive, even m
85. Palm Treo Pro Unboxing and Comparison Video 8/24/2008
Palm, Inc. recently unveiled the Treo Pro, its next Windows Mobile smartphone. Brighthand's Antoine Wright has put together a preliminary vi
86. Exact Size of the HTC Dream Revealed 8/25/2008
Another nugget of information has emerged about the upcoming HTC Dream, which will be the first device running Google's Android operating sy
Kinoma Play is a new video and audio application that offers media browsing, search, and playback. The goal of its developers is to turn any
88. Google Makes U.S. Election Coverage More Mobile 8/25/2008
Election season is in full swing in the U.S. To help mobile users stay up to date on the latest news, Google has created a special section o
89. Nokia Unveils N79 and N85 Smartphones 8/26/2008
Nokia has released two new smartphones which take many of the features from recent top-end devices and bring them down to the mid-range aren
90. Nokia Promises N. American Version of N96 8/26/2008
The Nokia N96 has already been announced as an upcoming model for European and Asian markets, but Nokia has now stated that there will be a
91. HTC Surprises the World with the S740 8/26/2008
HTC has just taken the wraps off the S740, a Windows Mobile Standard smartphone with both a QWERTY keyboard and a numberpad.
92. Windows Mobile 6.1 Comes to the AT&T Tilt 8/26/2008
HTC and AT&T have just released a free upgrade to the latest version of Microsoft's smartphone operating system for the AT&T Tilt.
93. Could There Be a CDMA Version of Palm's Treo Pro? 8/27/2008
An unconfirmed report indicates there will be a CDMA version of Palm's upcoming Treo Pro, to go with the GSM version that's already been ann
94. Android 1.0 Will Have Bluetooth, Won't Have GoogleTalk 8/27/2008
Google and the Open Handset Alliance, the group behind the Android OS, have given a status update on two features in this upcoming mobile op
Even though the Verizon XV6800 debuted last year, a new operating system upgrade pushes this model back to the leading edge.
96. Palm Treo Pro Review 8/27/2008
Palm's latest smartphone runs Windows Mobile 6.1 Pro and offers 3G, Wi-Fi, GPS, and more. Antoine Wright brings us this review.
97. Documents To Go Now Available for Windows Mobile Pro 8/28/2008
DataViz is best known as the maker of the company behind Documents To Go, the most widely used Office suite for Palm OS-based devices. Now
98. Verizon Getting the Touchscreen-Based BlackBerry Storm 8/28/2008
New information has emerged on what will be the first BlackBerry smartphone with a touchscreen, including its official name. This also indi
99. RIP Text Messaging: 1992-2017 8/28/2008
Despite the current popularity of text messaging, Ed Hardy uses his latest editorial to look ahead to its inevitable decline.
100. Android Will Get Its Own App Store 8/29/2008
The OHA -- the Google-led group of companies responsible for the Android OS -- has unveiled plans for an online store to help users find, pu
101. Many AT&T Customers Can Get Pocket Express for Free 8/29/2008
BlackBerry and Windows Mobile smartphone users who are also AT&T subscribers can get a free premium subscription of Pocket Express, which of
102. Demand Growing for HP Mini-Note Subnotebook 8/30/2008
HP's Mini-Note hit the market this spring, and a new report indicates that demand for it is growing dramatically.
103. Soon You May Charge Your Phone Just by Carrying It Around 8/30/2008
M2E Power has announced the development of an external charger for mobile devices that will use kinetic energy as its source.
104. Pocket Player 3.7 Brings Many Small Enhancements 8/31/2008
Pocket Player aims to increase the ability to enjoy multimedia on Windows Mobile devices. It has recently been updated, bringing several imp
105. Programmable Matter Could Transform Mobile Computers 8/31/2008
Scientists are seeking to create programmable matter -- a sort of electronic clay that can be easily formed into a computer of any shape and
more than 100 focused websites providing quick access to a deep store of
news, advice and analysis about the technologies, products and processes crucial
to the jobs of IT pros.
All Rights Reserved, Copyright 2000 - 2013, TechTarget | Read our Privacy Statement