Listed below are all of our news and reviews articles for September 2003. If you are looking for an article on a particular day or on a particular topic, you can use the menu on the right to narrow your search
2003 ArticlesJanuary | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December |
September 2003 Topics
SmartPhone Articles for September of 2003
Below are the 131 SmartPhone articles for September of 2003
1. Investor Buys 1.2 Million Shares of Palm 9/1/2003
Palm sells another 1.2 million shares of its stock to an unamed institutional investor.
2. Motorola Leaving Symbian Partnership 9/1/2003
Motorola plans to sell its share of the company that makes the Symbian OS to Nokia and Psion. However, it will continue to use the operating
3. Dell Axim X3 Details Leaked (Picture) 9/1/2003
PDAClub.pl, a Polish website, is reporting some details on the upcoming Dell Axim X3. They have also posted a vector based graphic of the A
4. Lawsuits Plague Handheld Industry 9/2/2003
Patent and trademark lawsuits have plagued the handheld industry for the past decade. So who's having a bigger impact on the industry, engin
5. RumorMill™: Picture of upcoming Dell Axim X3? 9/2/2003
A web site based in Poland has what it claims is a picture and some additional details of Dell's upcoming Axim X3 series of Pocket PCs.
Some additional details have surfaced on two of the three handhelds palmOne is expected to release next month.
7. IEEE Seeks to Improve Batteries 9/2/2003
An IEEE working group has completed the first draft of a standard that should help improve the reliability of the next generation of recharg
8. SD GPS Receiver Coming in November 9/2/2003
An online retailer has announced that the first SD GPS receiver will be available in about two months. It will be compatible with both Palm
iGolf Technologies has announced a GPS unit that will support any Palm or Pocket PC PDA that offers SDIO. This covers almost all of the late
10. PalmGear Acquires Palm Digital Media 9/3/2003
As part of a new alliance, PalmGear has acquired PalmSource's e-book publishing subsidiary Palm Digital Media, and will power a new PalmSour
11. BrightBytes™: Spb Finance, Mobile Agenda, and More 9/3/2003
Spb Software House has released a new financial management application for the Pocket PC; Mobile Agenda combines the functionality of the To
New specs on upcoming Palms Earthlink phasing out CDPD service, old Palms affected Palm issues 1.2 million more shares New 2.2 gigabyte M
13. REVIEW: Sharp Zaurus SL-C750 from Dynamism 9/3/2003
The new Zaurus SL-C750 from Sharp is a versatile, linux-based PDA incorporating an XScale (PXA255) CPU at 400 MHz. I admit that the other PD
14. REVIEW: Sharp Zaurus SL-C750 from Dynamism 9/3/2003
The new Zaurus SL-C750 from Sharp is a versatile, linux-based PDA incorporating an XScale (PXA255) CPU at 400 MHz. I admit that the other PD
15. BrightBytes™: 128 MB h2210, Mobile Access, and More 9/4/2003
Pocket PC Techs can upgrade iPAQ h2200 series models to 128 MB of memory; Mobile Systems has released a Palm OS database application; and mo
16. Future iPAQs May Be Able to Translate Street Signs 9/4/2003
Researchers are developing systems that will allow handhelds with digital cameras to take pictures of signs in foreign languages and have th
17. Attention Gamers: Zodiac is coming 9/4/2003
Attention adult gamers: Your life will soon change. In less than two weeks, Tapwave will unveil its highly anticipated Zodiac gaming handhel
18. Radixs to Debut New Handheld OS at DEMOmobile 9/4/2003
Later this month, a Singapore-based company will take the wraps off a client/server based operating system that will allow users to access d
PalmGear, PalmSource partner; PDM transferred PocketPCTechs offers 128 MB memory on iPaq 2210/2215 iPaq 5600 offered on eBay TealSafe rel
20. Hands On - 30 Minutes With the Treo 600 9/4/2003
I got to spend 30 minutes with a Treo 600 today. Not long enough to write a full review, but long enough to know that palmOne/Handspring has
UTS is a hierarchical database, set up to allow people to track numbers and trends for just about anything. Its claim to fame is that it is
22. Dell Ships Fix to Axim Owners 9/5/2003
This week Dell finally began shipping CDs that contain a fix to a nagging performance problem to select Axim X5 Pocket PC owners.
PocketPC Magazine unveils new website look Leather Vaja case for Viewsonic V37 SDIO WiFi finally available? BargainPDA Slashdotted Pocke
When Alexey Pazhitnov first developed Tetris back in 1985, I wonder if he ever thought we'd still be talking about his game almost 20 years
25. G.Mate YOPY YP-3700 Linux PDA Quick Look 9/6/2003
The YOPY YP-3700 is a new flip-top PDA based around the StrongARM SA-1110 CPU and running a version of Linux. Rumours of a new YOPY release
26. Review – iGo Mobility Juice 70 9/6/2003
Mobile professionals know how important a good charge is before leaving on a sales call, meeting, or gasp, a vacation. If you’re going somew
27. BrightBytes™: Wi-Fi, TealSafe, and More 9/7/2003
Intel is sponsoring a day of free Wi-Fi access; TealSafe can protect a Palm OS user's data from prying eyes; and more.
28. Update - Delays in Executing Dell Axim Patch 9/7/2003
Owners of Dell Axim X5s with the Windows Mobile 2003 operating system will have to wait a few more weeks to get a patch that addresses poor
29. Sony Announces Video Recorder for Handhelds 9/8/2003
Sony plans to release a device that can record TV shows onto a Memory Stick in a format suitable for playing on a Clie handheld.
30. Smaller, Cheaper Wi-Fi Chips Coming 9/8/2003
New low-power and less expensive Wi-Fi chipsets have to potential to bring high-speed wireless networking up to more handhelds and other por
Sony is going to release a very interesting product. The PEGA-VR100K video recorder essentially will record television straight to your memo
Several years ago when I got my first handheld and was experimenting with all of the new software options, Worldmate was one of the first ap
33. Brighthand Reviews the Nokia 3650 phone 9/9/2003
The Nokia 3650 is more than just the phone with the funny-looking keypad. It's an excellent tri-band phone with most of the features found i
34. BrightBytes™: Tungsten W, PlanMaker, and More 9/9/2003
Tungsten W users should download a significant update from palmOne; the company that makes TextMaker is soon going to release an equally-cap
35. Sony’s UX50 Now Available... Sort Of 9/9/2003
Some lucky people in the U.S. have already been able to get their hands on a UX50, either from SonyStyle or at a CompUSA. It’s expect
36. AlphaSmart Shipping Dana Wireless 9/9/2003
A version of the Dana is now available with built-in Wi-Fi. It also includes a version of DataViz’s Documents To Go Professional whic
A study by ABI predicts that in a few years handhelds with built-in wireless capabilities will dominate sales.
ROM update for Palm Tungsten W Video of Tapwave Zodiac WLAN driver update for WinMobile '03 iPaqs Expansion pack for Crazy Kart from Int1
ABI Research has released a report with a little bit of optimism in it for PDA manufacturers. Contrary to most of the "research" reports tha
40. Barnes & Noble.com Stops Selling Ebooks 9/10/2003
Though its mission is selling books online, Barnes & Noble.com has given up on selling them in electronic formats.
41. BrightBytes™: 2 GB SD Card, iQue 3600, and More 9/10/2003
There's an unconfirmed report that a 2 GB SD card will be announced soon; Garmin's iQue 3600 can now HotSync with Mac OS X; and more.
42. MyPal A620 with Bluetooth Gets FCC Approval 9/10/2003
A version of the MyPal A620 Pocket PC with integrated Bluetooth wireless networking now has permission from the FCC to be released in the U.
43. Worldwide T.V. on your Pocket PC 9/10/2003
Access worldwide LIVE T.V. on your Wi-Fi enabled Pocket PC for free!
44. Review – Aggression Version 1.08 u6 from BliT Games 9/10/2003
Risk, the classic war strategy board game developed by the French and first brought to market by the Parker Brothers back in 1959, is still
45. RumorMill™: Treo 600 Coming to Europe Next Week? 9/11/2003
Reportedly, Handspring’s Treo 600 will debut in Europe very soon, possibly as early as next week. It isn’t expected in the U.S.
46. RumorMill™: J&R Leaks Details on Upcoming Toshiba e405 9/11/2003
An online retailer has leaked details on the Toshiba e405, an mid-range Pocket PC that is expected to be available before the holiday shoppi
47. RumorMill™: First Picture of the palmOne Tungsten E? 9/11/2003
A German online retail has posted a picture showing what might be the rumored Tungsten E. It also has pictures of what appear to be other un
48. BrightBytes™: $320 e750, FoneDB, and More 9/11/2003
Amazon.com is offering the Toshiba e755 for just $320 after a mail-in rebate; there’s a new freeware expense tracking applications for
It appears the Toshiba is preparing to release a new high-end model. Supposedly, the e805 will have a 4” screen, Wi-Fi, and dual slot
Sandisk rumored to be prepping 2 GB SD memory card Barnes & Noble halts ebook sales, phases out downloads Beta drivers for DLink under Win
51. Treo 600 To Be Released Next Week - In Europe 9/11/2003
The Register is reporting that Orange will begin selling its branded version of the Treo 600 as early as next week. This news can't sit well
MobileMag has obtained pictures of the new Audiovox PPC5050 being shown off at the 5th Annual Wireless Internet Conference. It looks very si
Pictures of the new palmOne Tungsten E and T3 that seem to have originated in Germany are now being widely circulated on the web. The design
54. Rumor: Toshiba e405 and e805 9/11/2003
Earlier today the electronics retailer J&R was featuring a Toshiba e405 and Toshiba e805 devices in their PDA category. Since that time the
55. Tapwave Zodiac Gets FCC Approval 9/12/2003
Documentation filed with the FCC brings to light additional information about this gaming-oriented handheld. The Zodiac is expected to go on
56. Audiovox Demos Prototype Cellular-Wireless Pocket PC 9/12/2003
Audiovox has demonstrated this week a prototype of its upcoming PPC5050, a wireless handheld that will use the Phone Edition of Windows Mobi
57. Will E-Books Survive? 9/12/2003
Will e-books do to publishing what digital music is doing to the recording industry and digital pictures is doing to photography? Maybe not,
58. BrightBytes™: Axim X5 Case, Warfare Inc., and More 9/12/2003
A titanium hardcase for the Dell Axim X5 series will be available soon from Rhinoskin; a strategic war game called Warfare Incorporated is n
59. First Thoughts - Sony Clie UX50 9/12/2003
After less than 24 hours with the UX50 I have to report that this device is simply stunning. The UX50 is the closest thing to the "perfect P
Asus A620 varient with Bluetooth Warfare Inc. real-time-strategy for Palm and PocketPC 10% off code for Handango Fidelity acquires 11% of
61. Astraware Gem Drop Review 9/14/2003
Bejeweled meets Tetris? Gem Drop from Astraware takes the fun of both classics and wraps it into a colorful new game!
62. Microsoft’s Smart Phone OS Finally Coming to the U.S. 9/15/2003
Motorola has announced the MPx200, a clamshell handset that will run Microsoft's Smartphone OS. Available in the U.S. before the end of the
63. Brighthand's First Impressions of Sony’s PEG-UX50 9/15/2003
The UX50 offers two types of wireless networking, a high-resolution screen, and a large keyboard. But is it worth the high price?
64. Motorola Plans to Make Pocket PCs 9/15/2003
Motorola has announced an agreement under which it will release both Pocket PCs and smart phones running Microsoft mobile operating systems.
65. Documents To Go Goes Native 9/15/2003
The latest version of DataViz's Documents To Go offers native Microsoft Word and Excel support, password protection, spell-check, word count
66. Review - TrueTip Styli 9/15/2003
TrueTip makes a range of replacement styli in the form of pen caps and finger styli. The point of either accessory can also be fitted with S
Today Motorola has announced their MPx200, based on the Microsoft Smartphone 2002 operating system. This is the first MS-based Smartphone to
68. Palm Announces New Keyboard, Camera, More 9/16/2003
Palm will release an infrared keyboard, a 1.3 megapixel digital camera, and numerous other new accessories. Most of these will be available
69. RumorMill™: First Picture of the iPAQ h4350? 9/16/2003
Some additional information has surfaced on one of HP’s upcoming Pocket PC models, including a picture. Supposedly the iPAQ h4350 will
70. BrightBytes™: Dose-A-Day, Phone Support, and More 9/16/2003
Dataviz is now offering calendars with daily Dilbert comics or golf tips; palmOne will soon offer an extended phone support program; and mor
71. Live From TechXNY -- New York 9/16/2003
Living in New York has its perks when shows like TechXNY take place (Sept. 16 - 18) and I can jump on the subway to go and talk to all the r
We know the h4000 series is coming, HP told us so a few weeks back at CeBit America. Last night at the TechXNY show they were hush hush, but
Documents To Go 6 supports native Office files Two Proporta leather cases for UX40/UX50 New Intermec CK30 rugged enterprise handheld
74. Tapwave Now Taking Pre-orders for the Zodiac 9/17/2003
The Zodiac, a gaming-oriented handheld that runs Palm OS 5, can now be pre-ordered. This device offers a high-resolution screen, two SD slo
75. Treo 600 Launched in Europe 9/17/2003
A European wireless carrier has announced that it will soon begin offering the Treo 600 from Handspring. This smart phone is also expected
76. Sony Gives Sneak Peek of New Clie 9/17/2003
Sony giving the world an advance look at an upcoming handheld. However, this isn't an official announcement and details on this device are v
77. RumorMill™: Toshiba e805 Will Have VGA Screen 9/17/2003
A picture and some additional information has surfaced about an upcoming Toshiba model, including that it will supposedly have a 640-by-480
78. In Depth - Tapwave Zodiac 9/17/2003
Tapwave's Palm-powered gaming device, the Zodiac, goes on sale today. We bring you a full preview of its design and specifications.
79. Sony Shows Off New Clie (picture) 9/17/2003
Sony has taken the wraps off a new line of Clie's at the WPC 2003 show in Japan. It's said to come in a variety of colors, looks very slim a
80. Possible images, specs of Toshiba e800 9/17/2003
An alledged internal Toshiba presentation has surfaced, offering what may be additional specifications on the upcoming e800 PocketPC, most n
81. RumorMill™: An Overview of the iPAQ h4000 Series 9/18/2003
Thanks to numerous leaks of information, fairly complete descriptions are now available of Hewlett-Packard's upcoming iPAQ h4155 and iPAQ h4
82. Intel Previews Upcoming XScale Processors 9/18/2003
The next generation of XScale processors is being designed to allow handhelds and mobile phones to have longer battery lives, greater multim
83. Palm Quarterly Revenues Up 9/18/2003
Palm's revenues were up during its most recent financial quarter, but not enough to raise the company out of the red.
84. HP iPaq 4150 Rumored Device 9/18/2003
Pocket PC Italia has posted more news about rumored upcoming iPaq devices from HP. This time they have a picture of what is being dubbed th
85. Royal Developing Linux-Powered Handheld 9/19/2003
Royal, known for its low-cost PDAs, will release before the end of this year a mid-range handheld running the Qtopia application platform.
86. How Low Can PDA Prices Go? 9/19/2003
Brighthand editor-in-chief Ed Hardy explores the trend towards plunging prices in the handheld industry, which began when Dell entered the m
87. Microsoft Bringing Voice Control to Pocket PCs 9/19/2003
Microsoft is looking for beta testers for an application that will allow Pocket PC and Smartphone users to control their devices with just t
88. RumorMill™: Additional Info on Upcoming Sony Models 9/19/2003
Updated Reportedly, Sony plans to launch the TJ series this fall, consisting of two low-cost handhelds running Palm OS 5.2.
Intel previews future XScales Palm announces Q4 earnings Free version of PocketWiNc WiFi sniffer
So many software packages are now being made in both Pocket PC and Palm versions. This poses a unique problem for us, as sometimes an applic
91. RumorMill™: New Axim Models Coming Thursday 9/20/2003
Dell is expected to announce two new Pocket PCs this week, one of which will have built-in Wi-Fi.
92. Survey Shows Most IT Professionals Want a Handheld 9/20/2003
silicon.com surveyed its readers and found that most of them already have a handheld and almost all the rest want one.
93. Huge PDA Sale at Amazon.com 9/20/2003
Amazon.com is running a big sale (up to 33% off) on all PDAs until September 28, here's a listing of what's on sale and a link to our bargai
94. BrightBytes™: Sony Cases, Pocket PC Book, and More 9/21/2003
Proporta is now offering leather cases for Sony's UX50, NX73V, and NX80V; the third edition of How To Do Everything With Your Pocket PC is n
95. Palm Tungsten E Review and Pictures 9/21/2003
Matt Kitchen of MobileSlash.com has a Palm Tungsten E unit with a review and pictures. The quick specs on the Tungsten E are as follows: 32
96. Review – Vaja Leather Case for HP iPAQ h2215 9/21/2003
When you drop $400 on a new PDA, it’s usually a good idea to get a case of some sort to protect it. Once you’ve determined leather is the wa
97. A Recap of the New Summer Handhelds 9/22/2003
It was a summer we won't soon forget. From the introduction of Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC to the merger of rivals Palm and Handspring
Though plenty of new handhelds are coming before the end of this year, some information has leaked out of Fujitsu-Siemens on a Pocket PC tha
99. Michael Dell to Announce New Axims on Thursday 9/22/2003
Dell is rolling out the red carpet for their Axim X3 line and a new MP3 player later this week. InfoWorld is reporting that a source has cla
100. FCC Approves ASUSTeK GPRS CompactFlash Card 9/23/2003
The Federal Communications Commission has given ASUSTeK permission to release a CompactFlash card that offers GPRS wireless service.
101. Sony’s Video Recorder for Handhelds Released in U.S. 9/23/2003
The VR100K is now available in the United States. This can record TV programs onto a Memory Stick in a format suitable for playing on a Son
102. NVIDIA Unveils New Handheld Graphics Processor 9/23/2003
NVIDIA's new GoForce 2150 graphics processor has been designed to improve the multimedia performance of upcoming handhelds and smart phones.
103. Palm OS 6 Ready This Year 9/23/2003
PalmSource reveals details about the next version of its popular handheld operating system and says it will have the final version in the ha
104. Palm Tungsten E and Palm Tungsten T3 Speculation 9/23/2003
More news is buzzing that the official release of the Palm Tungsten T3 and additional models such as the Palm Tungsten E is just around the
105. Tiny Bluetooth-Enabled Printer Now Available 9/24/2003
Brother has created a portable printer that can print 300 dpi documents but weighs only 10.6 ounces.
106. Brighthand Reviews the Samsung i500 9/24/2003
Combining a cell phone and a PDA into a modern-day uber device is no simple task. The result is often either a clunky, oversized phone or a
107. FCC Approves Toshiba e800 and e805 9/24/2003
The FCC has given Toshiba permission to release two new high-end Pocket PCs. These will offer a number of new features, but won't have the V
108. Smart Phone Version of Palm OS 5 Coming Next Year 9/24/2003
Even after the release of its replacement, PalmSource will continue development of Palm OS 5. A version especially suited to smart phones i
109. Review – Handmark’s Tetris Classic Game Pak (Multi-Platform) 9/24/2003
Tetris is one of the most popular video/computer games ever produced, and for good reason. You can pick up the basics of the game in about
Sales of Palm-powered devices reach 30 million Toshiba e800 approved by FCC; will not include VGA screen Mobile Bluetooth printer for sale
111. BrightBytes™: Free Wi-Fi, Oxford Dictionary, and More 9/25/2003
Hotspots are giving away free Wi-Fi service all across the U.S. today; the handheld edition of the Oxford American Dictionary and Thesaurus
112. Axim X3 Series Officially Announced 9/25/2003
Though details are still somewhat sketchy, Dell has said it will release later this year the Axim X3 line, which will be made up of three mo
113. Sony Aims To Put TV Tuners in Handhelds 9/25/2003
Companies will soon have the option of including in their handhelds and mobile phones a small module that acts as a TV tuner.
114. Dell Press Release - Limited Axim X3 News 9/25/2003
Dell confirmed its entry into the consumer electronics category today, announcing the planned introduction of a series of Dell digital enter
115. Dell Axim X3 - First Look With High Res Images 9/25/2003
**Update** Dell will not release the specs on the X3 today. Here they are, be patient as the photos are high res and will take a little time
116. Fossil Wrist PDA Significantly Delayed 9/26/2003
Updated Fossil's wristwatch with Palm OS 4 won't be available at the end of this month, after all. Production problems have pushed back the
117. Axim X3 Series Gets FCC Approval 9/26/2003
Updated The FCC has given Dell approval to release a new series of Pocket PCs in the US, bringing to light new information about these devic
Yesterday Michael Dell addressed the press on the release of new consumer devices to be released by Dell, including the Axim X3. Michael al
119. Dell Axim X3 Specs, Pictures and User Guide (Pics, Specs) 9/26/2003
The Dell Axim X3 specs were a mystery yesterday. Today we have the user guide and pictures of the Axim X3 inside, outside, upside, rightsid
120. Treo 600 Coming to Four U.S. Wireless Carriers 9/27/2003
Handspring held a launch party in New York this week for the Treo 600. Amidst all the hoopla, four wireless service providers announced the
PalmSource plans OS 5 Phone Edition Fossil PDA watch delayed indefinitely New GPRS CF card from Asus Wireless multiplayer RifleSlugs
122. Release Dates and Carriers Confirmed for the Treo 600 9/27/2003
Just a few hours after the Dell press call and an insiders only Palm call on Thursday, Handspring held a private launch party for the Treo 6
123. Review - Garmin iQue 3600 (Palm OS) 9/27/2003
So what do you get when you cross a mid-to-high end Palm OS PDA with a Global Positioning System (GPS)? One answer is a surprising new offer
124. Brighthand Reviews the Sony PEG-UX50 9/28/2003
Brighthand's Editor-in-Chief finds a lot to like in Sony's latest high-end handheld... but a lot to dislike as well.
125. BrightBytes™: UX50 Cases, Stowaway, and More 9/28/2003
Xigma is now offering two cases for Sony's UX series; there's a new Windows Mobile 2003 driver for the Stowaway folding keyboard; and more.
Dell hyped their big conference call last week then told the public nothing about their new X3. Well, just a few hours after that call concl
127. Sony Preparing for Release of Entry-Level Handhelds 9/29/2003
Sony has dropped the price of one of its entry-level handhelds and may have discontinued another. This comes as rumors are circulating the
128. Sony Clie UX40 Available 9/29/2003
The latest member of Sony's UX series can now be purchased on the Web. This is a high-end Palm OS handheld that offers a high-resolution scr
129. Handango Announces Software Award Winners 9/29/2003
Handango’s People's Choice awards honor the applications that users decide are the best ones available.
130. New Accessories For iPAQ 2200 Series 9/30/2003
StylusCentral.com is offering two new cases and a replacement stylus for iPAQ 2200 Series handhelds.
131. N-Gage Gaming Cell Phone Debuting Next Week 9/30/2003
While all smart phones can play games, gaming is the N-Gage's primary focus. The worldwide launch of this device is set for a week from toda
more than 100 focused websites providing quick access to a deep store of
news, advice and analysis about the technologies, products and processes crucial
to the jobs of IT pros.
All Rights Reserved, Copyright 2000 - 2013, TechTarget | Read our Privacy Statement