Rumors and counter-reports have been flying this week about Microsoft's plans to offer a combination phone and Zune music player.
On Tuesday, CNBC reported that an unnamed source had told it about a Microsoft project -- code-named Pink -- to create a ZunePhone. This device will supposedly be ready to at least demo at next month's CES.
Since then however, the denials have been coming thick and fast. The most authoritative of these comes from Brian Seitz, Microsoft's Group Manager of Zune, who told Gizmodo on Wednesday "No Zune phone at CES."
And back in October, during an earlier round of rumors, no less a person than Steve Ballmer said that there's not going to be a Zune/phone combo.
Instead of being a piece of hardware, Pink is the code-name for a project to bring Zune-like functions to other devices, including Windows Mobile, according to ZDnet.
Just the Latest Round of Rumors
Rumors and speculation about a ZunePhone have been around for years, and the blame for this can be squarely placed on Microsoft itself. Back in 2006, not too long after the original Zune debuted, Chris Stephenson, who was responsible for marketing this music player, said, "A Zune phone is definitely part of the future of this brand."
Since then, Microsoft has been stepping back from this statement, but that has not stopped the persistent rumors. A new round of them crop up a couple of times a year, and then subside when the predictions turn out to be incorrect.
Related Articles:
|
|
|
|
|
TechTarget publishes
more than 100 focused websites providing quick access to a deep store of
news, advice and analysis about the technologies, products and processes crucial
to the jobs of IT pros.
All Rights Reserved, Copyright 2000 - 2013, TechTarget | Read our Privacy Statement