Last month, a single report that a Galaxy S III had caught fire for no reason caused a huge furor -- Was Samsung new flagship smartphone terribly flawed? As it turns out, the device caught fire for a perfectly natural reason: it had been put in a microwave.
The report came from a a user on an Irish webforum who calls himself dillo2k10. In it, the individual claimed that his Galaxy S III was in a car cradle "when suddenly a white flame sparks and a bang came out of the phone." He turned the device over to Samsung asking for a replacement.
As the report drew international attention, and questions from potential buyers, Samsung turned the investigation over to a separate company, Fire Investigations U.K.
Before a report could be published, dillo2k10 posted a follow-up message in which he tried to retract his earlier post, "The damage to the phone was caused by another person, although they were attempting to recover the phone from water, this later caused the damage shown on the phone. It occurred due to a large amount of external energy and there was no fault with the phone."
According to Fire Investigations U.K., the damage to the Galaxy S III had to have been caused by putting the device into a microwave. This apparently was in an attempt to save the phone after it had been dropped into water.
Although, dillo2k10 said in this follow-up post that "This was not a deliberate act but a stupid mistake," there is still the possibility that Samsung could take legal action against this person. When his false allegation was being widely publicized, it could have caused people to not buy the Galaxy S III.
No explosions happened during Brighthand's review of the Samsung Galaxy S III.
more than 100 focused websites providing quick access to a deep store of
news, advice and analysis about the technologies, products and processes crucial
to the jobs of IT pros.
All Rights Reserved, Copyright 2000 - 2013, TechTarget | Read our Privacy Statement