Back in March Dell announced that it would stop selling smartphones in the United States, and now the electronics manufacturer has announced that it will be halting smartphone production all together.
Jeff Clarke, Dell's consumer head of business said that the company has no plans to re-enter the smartphone race anytime soon. "It needs a lot of investments to really be successful", Clark told Forbes on Wednesday during the Dell World conference.
Previously, the company had made devices with Android and Windows Phone.
Additionally, Clark mentioned that Dell has no plans to continue production of tablets running Android, instead the company will be looking to move its entire mobile product line to run on Windows OS.
Dell dropping out of the smartphone industry is not that surprising, considering the company was unable to compete against the much larger Apple and Samsung.
With HTC and Motorola also struggling against the two giant phone manufactures it raises the question; are they doomed to the same fate?
|
|
|
|
|
TechTarget publishes
more than 100 focused websites providing quick access to a deep store of
news, advice and analysis about the technologies, products and processes crucial
to the jobs of IT pros.
All Rights Reserved, Copyright 2000 - 2013, TechTarget | Read our Privacy Statement