Even though T-Mobile began pushing a small maintenance update out to the T-Mobile G1 last week, few people have received it yet. For those who are getting impatient, there is a way to install the upgrade manually.
Note: This is not a method sanctioned by T-Mobile. The very cautious should wait for the over-the-air update
- Download the RC33 update from Google’s web site.
- Save it to a microSD card and rename it simply “Update.zip”.
- Shut down the G1, then start it again while holding down the Home key.
- The T-Mobile G1 logo will show up as normal but wait a bit — still holding down the Home key — and a triangular caution icon next to a phone will appear. When this shows up, hit ALT-L.
- This will open a menu of options, one of which is install the contents of “Update.zip”. Do this by hitting ALT-S.
- Wait several minutes while the new firmware is installed. Don’t touch, mess with, or even look too closely at the G1 during this process.
- Eventually, a request to simultaneously push the Home and Back keys will appear. (Back is near Home, not the Delete key on the keyboard.) This will restart the device.
- The firmware will be copied into ROM, which takes another minute or so, then the G1 will reboot itself normally.
- The update process is then complete
What’s New in RC33
This is not the rumored “cupcake” update to the G1 many are eagerly waiting for, but still provides a few new features and software bug fixes.
- Support “Check For Upgrades” (New feature to check for system upgrades)
- Voice Search (New Google feature for searching)
- Ability to save pictures received as MMS
There are also some bug fixes, including one for a bug that forces users to sign back into their IM sessions if they shut down Wi-Fi, and another that causes users to miss appoints because the reminder doesn’t go off.
More information on the changes included in the maintenance release are available on the official T-Mobile G1 forum.
The cupcake update, which will add an on-screen keyboard to this smartphone, is still some time in the future.