Palm, Inc. has released a ROM update for the unlocked version of the Treo 650. It includes a number of enhancements.
This software update (version 1.2) makes the following changes:
- Improved memory handling for opening larger web pages
- Optimized Bluetooth performance and added support for additional headset or carkits
- Improved voice quality
- Improved device performance for heavy data usage such as email or web downloads.
- Includes Versamail 3.1F, the latest version for the Treo 650 smartphone including an updated Mail Service (ISP) list which includes Gmail support
- Added support for Gmail attachment downloads via web browser
- Improved performance and increased stability with third-party email solutions that are offered directly from carrier partners
- Added support for wired carkits
- Updated carrier settings for data connections and MMS or when roaming internationally
- Masked password entry in browser to increase privacy
- Improved customizable voice or sound recordings for specific callers
It also includes changes made in previous ROM updates for this smartphone.
Treo 650 Updater 1.20 and installation instructions can be found on Palm’s web site.
It is only for the unlocked version of this smartphone. It contains software that is incompatible with other phones.
What’s a ROM Update?
The ROM is where the operating system and built-in applications are stored. Changes made to the files in ROM are permanent and will survive the device undergoing a hard reset.
Updating the ROM will erase everything that’s on the device, but the data can be restored by a HotSync.