As part of Apple’s Let’s Rock event, iPhone and iPod touch owners received word that version 2.1 of the iPhone/iPod Touch operating system will be made available this Friday. Featuring stability and wireless improvements, this version of the operating system also opens some functionality with music play for these devices.
Summary of Features
The iPhone/iPod Touch 2.1 software brings the iPod Touch more in line with the software base that the iPhone has and adds to both:
- The ‘Genius’ feature: with a few taps scans your library and iTunes for songs that are similar to what is being listened to, then offers recommendations based on your listening patterns.
- Improved stability from the App Store including a refined backup feature
- Multiple calendar capacity
- View iWork and PowerPoint attachments from emails
- Updated keyboard and dictionary support
- Contacts search box
- Includes all the 2.0 updates as well
Addressing iPhone 3G Users
iPhone 3G users have had issues with the 2.0 version of the operating system including lockups and call dropping. This version of the iPhone/iPod Touch operating system has also been turned to better respond to wireless connections and not cause system instability as had been noted previously.
iPhone/iPod Touch users can download 2.1 as soon as this Friday. The update is free to iPhone users and iPod Touch users who already are using version 2.0. Those using version 1.0 will have to pay $9.99 for the 2.1 update.
Current iPod touch users may get a prompt saying that there is an update to QuickTime that will be needed before performing the update.
For more information about iPhone/iPod Touch Software version 2.1, visit the Apple website.