The iPhone-maker asked Koh last week to add the Galaxy S III to an earlier lawsuit claiming that Samsung devices infringed on its patents. Koh said that Apple’s request for the ban of the handset would overload her calendar since Samsung is gearing for a June 21 launch.
Additionally, Koh said Apple could ask for a temporary restraining order against the Galaxy S III phone, but that would delay the Apple vs. Samsung patent-infringement trial that’s scheduled for next month. In her order, the judge said Apple would have to ask for a new hearing date if it wanted to block sales of the Galaxy S III handset completely.
At a court hearing last week, Apple attorney Josh Krevitt complained that Samsung is able to release new devices before the legal system has time to address their patent violations. “Samsung is always one step ahead, launching another product and another product,” Krevitt said.
In a separate legal maneuver, Apple is also attempting to block the import of all HTC’s Android smartphones.