The scheduled release date for the upgrade to iOS 4.3 wasn’t until this Friday, but Apple has gone ahead and introduced it early. This isn’t a major upgrade, but does bring new features to Apple’s smartphone, handheld, and tablet.
When CEO Steve Jobs announced this new version last week, he said would be available at the end of this week, but Apple has a habit of introducing operating system upgrades early.
New in Apple iOS 4.3
Among the most notable additions in this new version of Apple’s mobile operating system is an app that allows the iPhone 4 to act like a mobile Wi-Fi access point, sharing its cellular-wireless Internet connection with other computers.
Support for iTunes Home Sharing has been added to this operating system. This feature, already part of the desktop version of iTunes, allows users to share their music and movies with other iTunes users on the same network.
In addition, with this new version, smartphone, tablet, and handheld users will be able to send more types of content to an Apple TV.
To install the latest version of Apple’s operating system, connect the mobile device to a Mac or PC running iTunes.
There is an upgrade available for the GSM version of the iPhone 4, the iPhone 3GS, the third- and fourth-generation iPod touch, and the iPad.
Apple’s official list of changes in iOS 4.3 is:
- Share iPhone 4 cellular data connection with up to 5 devices (combination of up to 3 Wi-Fi, 3 Bluetooth, and 1 USB)
iTunes Home Sharing
- Play music, movies and TV shows from a shared iTunes library on a Mac or PC (requires iTunes 10.2)
New AirPlay features**
- Play videos from the Photos app including the Camera Roll album, iTunes previews, enabled third-party apps and websites on Apple TV
- Play slideshows from Photos on Apple TV using transitions available on Apple TV
HD video out using the Apple Digital AV Adapter***
- View 720p HD videos from Videos app, iPod app, Photos, YouTube, Safari, Keynote, and enabled third-party apps on an HDMI display
- Push notifications for comments and follow requests
- Post and Like songs directly from the Now Playing screen
- Parental controls
- Messages setting for number of times to repeat an alert
- iPad side switch setting to lock screen rotation or mute audio notifications and sound effects
Single tap conference call dialing with a pause to send a passcode
*Requires iPhone 4 with tethering data plan
**Requires Apple TV (2nd generation) running software
version 4.2 or later
***iPhone 4, iPad, iPod touch (4th generation)