In the very near future, Apple is going to ask a Federal judge for a restraining order to prevent the U.S. release of the Samsung Galaxy S III, on the grounds that this smartphone infringes on two of its patents.
The filing, which will be made to U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh, will be part of an ongoing patent infringement lawsuit brought by Apple that claims earlier Samsung models also infringe on its patents.
The Galaxy S III is set to debut from AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile on June 21. Obviously, Apple will need to make its request to Koh and have it approved before that date to completely prevent the U.S. release of this smartphone.
Samsung says that there is no reason for the judge to act so quickly by blocking the release of its new product. Samsung’s lawyer, Bill Price, said that the iPhone maker is just trying to “prevent a phone from getting to the public that is better than Apple’s in many, many respects.”
Judge Koh warned Apple that if it files its threatened restraining order request, she will likely have to move the start date for the full trial to a later date. It’s currently planned for July 30, but Apple’s filing would add a new smartphone to the suit, and she doesn’t have time to do additional preparation before the scheduled start date, as she not just an “Apple vs. Samsung judge”.
Apple vs. Almost Everyone
Apple has filed patent-infringement lawsuits against virtually all its rival smartphone makers, and there have been a number of recent developments in these.
Earlier this week, it asked the U.S. International Trade Commission to block the import of all HTC’s Android smartphones.
In addition, a U.S. judge has just cancelled the imminent trial in an Apple vs. Motorola patent-related lawsuit. Judge Richard Posner said he has done so because neither company could demonstrate enough evidence that they had been hurt by the other’s actions.