Dell has posted on its web site a ROM update for its Axim X50 series models.
This for both the X50 models with QVGA screens and the X50v, which has a VGA screen.
According to Dell, this update makes the following changes:
- Improved the compatibility with certain CF cards
- Improved the power management within the CompactFlash driver
- Improved the WLAN driver for the unrecognized card issue
- Improved Bluetooth memory management
- Enhanced the processor speed scheme (Auto) for better balance between performance and battery life
- Improved the compatibility of Bluetooth FTP
- Make the wireless button driver more robust
- Improved the compatibility of Switcher Bar application
- Enhanced the compatibility of Data Backup utility
- Enhanced the WEP key security
- Updated the Funk Odyssey client
- Improved the frequency change mechanism of 2700G
- Fixed issue when pausing live streaming video
- Updated 2700G display driver
Dell recommends to only backup PIM data from a previous system and restore just this to the Axim after installing the new ROM. All other applications should be re-installed again on the new system to make sure new features are not disabled.
This ROM update can be found on the Dell Support web site .
What’s a ROM Update?
The ROM is where the operating system and built-in applications are stored. Changes made to the files in ROM are permanent and will survive the device undergoing a hard reset.
Updating the ROM will erase everything on the handheld, usually including the contents of the Built-In Storage.
Thanks to AximSite for the tip.