I’ve always railed against integrated cameras in phones, PDAs or any other device mostly because they’re garbage. The resolution, quality of the images and usability all stink. But maybe my mind can be changed. After all, a chef in England saved his own life by taking a shot of a Brazilian Wandering Spider after being bit. It turns out the spider is one of the most deadly in the world and doctors from the emergency room were able to send the picture to a local zoo, which told them which anti-venom to administer. Without the photo, he might have been dead.
The spider the chef found was much like this one, about 5 inches in length
It seems the spider came over in a shipment of bananas from Brazil. The Times Online has more:
Mr Stevens said: “I thought I wasn’t going to make it. My chest was so tight I could hardly breathe. My blood pressure was going through the roof and my heart was beating so hard I could feel it hitting my chest.
“The doctors didn’t know what type of spider it was, but I’d got a picture of it on my phone and they sent it to Bristol Zoo to identify it.”
Ok, so now I might be in favor of crappy digital cameras embedded in all devices!