It isn’t the much-anticipated upgrade to Windows Mobile 6, but AT&T has released a small system software update for the Cingular 8525.
- New Daylight Saving Time rules.
- Push To Talk
- Cellular Video
- "Wireless Modem" is replaced with "Internet Sharing".
- AT&T Music
- Includes Music player, Shop Music, Music ID, Streaming Music, Music Video and Community.
- Access to MediaNet via Wi-Fi without having to change the device connection settings.
- Network Icons have been updated:
- Show E icon when EDGE is detected.
- Show 3G icon when UMTS is detected.
- X-Button application-
- Allows the user to determine what the X button does when tapped (close program or minimize program).
- Branding will be updated to reflect AT&T rather than Cingular.
This update can be found on HTC’s web site. Despite not being on an AT&T site this is nevertheless an official release, as HTC developed the 8525 for this carrier.
What’s a ROM Update?
The ROM is where the operating system and built-in applications are stored. Changes made to the files in ROM are permanent and will survive the device undergoing a hard reset.
Updating the ROM will erase everything that’s on the device, but the data can be restored with ActiveSync.
Use care when carrying out a ROM update. Not following the directions can result in damaging the device to the point where it must be professionally repaired.