rx5915 at the HP “Your Life is the Show” event (view large image)
The iPAQ rx5915 isn’t being dubbed as a PDA, but rather a Travel Companion as it has a built-in SiRFstar III GSC3F GPS chip.
Indeed, at the HP event dubbed “Your Life is the Show” HP had the iPAQ rx5915 setup on a mocked-up car dashboard to show how it would work as a guidance system while driving.
The rx5915 is more than just a guidance system though. It has built-in 802.11 b/g wireless and Bluetooth so users can stay connected on the go. It runs the Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC operating system so people can do all the things they would normally do with a PDA.
Pre-installed travel tools such as currency exchange applications and measurement converters are also built-in.
The full specs of the rx5915 are as follows:
- Processor: Samsung SC32442 400 MHz
- Display: 3.5 inch, QVGA color and anti-glare coating
- Memory: 64 MB SDRAM main memory for running applications, up to 2.0 GB flash ROM (depending on model and SKU, ROM size varies)
- Dimensions: 4.74″ x 3.00″ x 0.65″
- Weight: 5.99 oz with battery in
- Audio: Integrated microphone, speaker and one 3.5 MM headphone jack with stereo-earphone output.
- Battery: Removable/Rechargeable 1700 mAh Lithium-lon user replaceable battery
- Hardware buttons: One power button, one recording button, one soft reset switch, four software programmable AP buttons, 9-way navigation pad, two dedicated software buttons
- Software: iPAQ wireless with Today screen plug-in, HP Quick Launch; WorldMate Standard Edition; Bluetooth Manager; Today Panel Lite; HP Photosmart Mobile Software; HP QuickStart Tour
- Indicators: Amber/Green LED notification charging/charged
Blue LED – WLAN, Bluetooth or GPS active
- Interfaces: USB 1.2 client supported via mini-USB connector, SD slot supports 4-bit and 1-bit memory standard
- In the Box: HP iPAQ rx5000 Travel Companion, lithium ion 1700 mAh removable battery, AC adapter, mini-USB sync/charge cable, car charger, car holder/cradle, windshield mount, slip case, documentation.
- Price: $599.99
Also included with the rx5915 is the TomTom Navigator 6 software and the latest maps from Tele Atlas.
The following is a breakdown on software included for navigation as it varies by the region this handheld will be sold in:
- Accurate navigation software and maps are pre-installed and ready to use.
- In North America and Europe, TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 software and the latest maps from Tele Atlas are included.
- North America customers can choose the rx5900 model with complete U.S. and Canadian maps included.
- European customers have a choice of two models — the rx5700 with eight regional map configurations or rx5900 with maps of Western Europe.
- For the Asia Pacific region, additional top navigation providers offer solutions for Australia, China, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, and several other Southeast Asian locations.
The iPAQ rx5915 isn’t shipping yet, it is just tagged as “coming soon” on the HP shopping site, but expect it to be available and shipping next month.
As noted earlier, the rx4000 series that was recently released in Asia will not be making it to the U.S. or Europe, but most people in those regions would probably rather have the GPS capabilities of the rx5000 series.