The system software on the HTC Droid Eris is being updated, but not to Android 2.0. Instead, a number of small bugs are being removed.
- While on a call and the device is in screensaver mode, pressing the End key now takes the device out of screensaver mode, and a second press will end the call.
- On-call mute and speakerphone icon functionality is enhanced.
- Upgraded functionality after activation eliminates the delay users were experiencing in receiving their first call.
- Device now switches effectively from 1x mode to 3G.
- Device no longer requires users to reselect a default e-mail after power-cycling.
- SMS and MMS messaging delivery is improved.
- Eighty-character MMS/SMS message subject lines are now allowed.
- Improved picture messaging functionality allows messages from LG phones to be opened.
This device launched with Android OS 1.5, but HTC has promised to release an operating system upgrade for it early next year. It’s not clear, however, if this will be an upgrade to Android OS 1.6 or OS 2.1.
Users will be notified when the update has arrived on their device, and will then be walked through the installation process.
This will not erase any information stored on the smartphone.