Well, not really a “new” e740, but it sure can feel like one! On July 25th Toshiba quietly posted a new ROM image for the e740. BargainPDA readers may have seen this in the news before (posted by Adama). However, with many users feeling discouraged over Toshiba’s current lack of support for a Windows Mobile upgrade for this model, they might have mistakenly overlooked the significance of this ROM update, feeling that it is a lost cause. On the contrary, this ROM update (although still Pocket PC 2002 OS) REALLY fixes the issues surrounding the e740’s performance.
Specifically these (as stated by Toshiba):
- Resolves an issue where ActiveSync would periodically disconnect from the PDA when connected via USB.
- Update display driver.
- Update DataBackup utility
- Updated to support ‘RAW’ IR mode.
- Updated to keep D+ pin in High to improve USB connection success on some machines.
- Updated to remove Intel PCMCIA 8 bit workaround solution.
I personally had the opportunity to install this ROM update and use the e740 post install and I must say, it is definitely worth the upgrade! The e740 transforms from a buggy, temperamental device into a stable, noticeably faster moving Pocket PC. ActiveSync works flawlessly as well. The update is available free at Toshiba’s website:
Barry J. Doyle