Microsoft’s Software Store Also Coming to Windows Mobile 6.0, 6.1

by Reads (4,813)

Earlier this year, Microsoft unveiled plans to put an on-device software store on upcoming Windows Mobile 6.5 models. Today, it announced this store will also be available for many current models.

Windows Marketplace for MobileWindows Marketplace for Mobile will debut this fall, along with the next version of Microsoft’s operating system for smartphones. In addition, it will be available for devices running Windows Mobile 6.1 and 6.0 before the end of this year.

Coming Soon
Microsoft also announced today that it expects to start accepting software to be listed on this store on July 27.

To encourage developers to submit their applications, a contest will be announced later this month.

More about the Windows Marketplace for Mobile
There are a variety of ways an on-device software store can be run, and Microsoft is choosing one of the more “hands-on” approaches. Applications will have to pass a “rigorous” certification and testing process to ensure that they run well on Windows phones before they can be listed on the market.

Third-party developers will be able to set the price for their applications in each market, and can also choose to distribute their products for free. Developers who sell applications through Windows Marketplace for Mobile will receive 70% of the revenue, with the other 30% going to Microsoft.

Source: Microsoft

LEAVE A COMMENT

0 Comments

|
All content posted on TechnologyGuide is granted to TechnologyGuide with electronic publishing rights in perpetuity, as all content posted on this site becomes a part of the community.