Microsoft’s Software Store Will Debut at Launch of Windows Mobile 6.5

by Reads (6,099)

Microsoft has confirmed that its upcoming software store will be on devices running Windows Mobile 6.5 when they launch next month. It has also revealed some additional details on it, like the fact that Microsoft will be able to remotely remove applications from users’ devices.

The first Windows Mobile 6.5 smartphones are going to be released on October 6, and they will definitely ship with Windows Marketplace for Mobile.

Windows Marketplace for MobileA version for Windows Mobile 6.0 and 6.1 will be available for users to install later this year.

Remote Software Removal
Speaking at Tech-Ed in New Zealand, Loke Uei Tan, Sr. Technical Product Manager with the Windows Mobile group at Microsoft, warned that his company would be able to remove applications installed through the Windows Marketplace from user’s devices.

This has become a fairly common practice in mobile software stores. Apple can do it with iPhone apps, and Palm will soon be able to do it with WebOS apps.

More about Windows Marketplace for Mobile
Developers who sell applications through the Windows Marketplace for Mobile will receive 70% of the revenue, with the other 30% going to Microsoft. Third-party developers will be able to set the price for their applications in each market, and can also choose to distribute their products for free.

Software developers will have to pay an introductory annual registration fee of $99, which will allow them to submit five applications a year to Microsoft for certification. Each additional submission within the year will cost $99 more. The registration fee is waived for students through enrollment in the Microsoft DreamSpark program.

Source: Unofficial Tech Ed Blog

LEAVE A COMMENT

0 Comments

|
All content posted on TechnologyGuide is granted to TechnologyGuide with electronic publishing rights in perpetuity, as all content posted on this site becomes a part of the community.