Palm today released a new version of its wireless email software, VersaMail. According to Steve Janiak, senior product manager at Palm Solutions Group, VersaMail 2.5, which includes automated email retrieval and notification, support for basic HTML, and several new customization options, is intended to improve usability.
The new features in VersaMail 2.5 include:
- Automatic Email Retrieval, Queuing and Notification — VersaMail 2.5 checks for new mail messages on a schedule the user specifies — from every 15 minutes to once a day, any day of the week. When there’s new mail in an account, VersaMail will automatically download it to the handheld and notify the user with a sound, a blink, or a vibration. If a message is queued to send, and the user is out of wireless coverage, the mail server is down, or for any other reason the message can’t be sent at that time, VersaMail will automatically try sending the message again later.
- Improved Usability and Smart Addressing — Users can quickly add contacts to their Palm Address Book by clicking on the sender’s email address. Smart Addressing uses type-ahead technology to locate matches from the Address Book.
- Read HTML Messages — In an HTML message, VersaMail retains basic formatting: colors, bold, underlining, italics and bullets. New multi-sized fonts are also included, provided by AFGA Monotype (www.agfamonotype.com). All hyperlinks in an HTML message are “hot” — just tap a line and it launches the default web browser. With plain text messages, tap on any “www” sequence to launch the web browser.
- New Display and Font options — VersaMail 2.5 lets users choose from new fonts, font sizes and colors, including very small fonts that take advantage of high-resolution color screens, and select different colors for read and unread messages. Users have flexibility to see more of each message at a glance with a new two-line list view, or less information per message but more messages on a screen with the classic one-line view.
- Synchronization — In addition to Windows PC synchronization with popular products such as Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, and Eudora, as well as server-based sync with Exchange, Lotus Domino, IMAP, and POP, VersaMail 2.5 adds sync support for local Lotus Notes mail. VersaMail 2.5 supports Windows PC synchronization of up to 11 user-defined Microsoft Exchange, IMAP, or Lotus Domino folders. The VersaMail HotSync conduit displays a progress indicator during synchronization and indicates the last time a user synchronized the handheld on the account information screen.
- Improved Attachment Support — VersaMail can attach and play back Voice Memo files and unzip ZIP files. Improved SD Card support allows access to subfolders located on a card. And when there are multiple applications on the handheld available for viewing a single attachment, VersaMail lets the user choose which to use to open the file.
- Encrypted Account Passwords — VersaMail uses 128-bit AES encryption to safeguard email account passwords.
- SSL Email — Supported in handhelds running Palm OS 5.2 or higher. VersaMail will pull mail from SSL mail providers, such as AT&T-Comcast Broadband.