Nokia and Maemo have formally announced the official release of the next iteration of their Internet Tablet operating system.
Codenamed Diablo, the OS2008 Feature Pack update includes several internal enhancements to performance, wireless capabilities, and stability.
The launch of this update likely signals the impending release of the latest Nokia Internet Tablet, the N810 WiMax Edition, as many of the updates in the operating system pave the way for this upcoming device to be utilized fully.
Some of the major features of this update include:
- SSU (seamless software updating) which enables components of the operating system to be updated without having to flash/rewrite the entire operating system.
- Over-the-air (OTA) updates via Wi-Fi and WiMax connections
- Update of the email client to Modest with several enhancements to the user interface and additional support of several mobile-friendly email features.
- Addition of Chinese fonts to the system font list
- Miscellaneous bug fixes to OpenSSL
- Browser panning fixes
- A-GPS support for the N810 and N810WE
- Updates to the Wayfinder GPS application
- and more
Because this is not a major update, most applications will continue to work from the previous version (OS2008) without a problem.
Users can download the update via the following links:
There is also a Flasher Wizard available to help guide users through the updating process.