Palm has released updates for both the unlocked and Sprint PCS versions of the Treo 650. There are big changes on the Sprint PCS front; Bluetooth dial-up networking has been enabled. This has been a huge thorn in the Treo 650’s side since the release. Palm also resolved the post-dial delay before a call is connected and made several other enhancements.
Palm Treo 650 for Spring PCS Updates (Updater 1.12):
- Enables Bluetooth Dial-Up Networking
- Updates VersaMail to version 3.1 to enhance stability and add improvements
- Adds support for more Bluetooth carkits including Acura, BMW, Chrysler, Toyota Prius (see all compatible car kits)
- Reduces post-dial delay before a call is connected
- Send SMS messages from Missed Call Alert or Call Log
- New user guide that incorporates the changes after running the Treo 650 Updater
For more information or to download the updater for Sprint PCS click here.
Palm Treo 650 Unlocked GSM Updates (Updater 1.13):
- Optimizes memory handling and frees up more memory with non-volatile file system improvements
- Updates VersaMail to heighten stability and add improvements
- Overall voice quality improvements and enhanced call clarity
- Latest carrier settings files
For more information or to download the updater for unlocked GSM phones, click here.
These updates are great news for Treo 650 owners or prospective buyers. So many of the complaints I and other reviewers had at the beginning are seeing resolution, which shows Palm’s strong support for the platform. There’s still some work to be done though, hopefully they’ll keep moving aggressively in this direction.