palmOne has released an updated ROM for the Tungsten T5. This fixes a number of bugs, and improves the way this model handles memory.
Comments in Brighthand‘s Tungsten T5 forum from those who have already installed this update indicate that it has made their devices noticeably more stable.
According to palmOne, this update offers improved memory management, and those who have already installed it say that their handhelds can now store more applications and files in RAM.
- Resolves problems caused when synchronizing large databases and files
- Fixes problems in the Calendar relating to Birthdays or recurring notes
- Fixes an issue with the Find feature and Calculator application
- Provides non-volatile file system improvements
This ROM update also includes the changes made in the ROM update released last October:
- Fixes a problem in the Calendar that can cause a crash when the default view is changed from Agenda to Month View
- Fixes an issue in Contacts when using the Menu drop down list for new entries
- Adjusts the soft keyboard to prevent system instability in certain situations
Tungsten T5 Update v1.1 can be downloaded from the palmOne web site.
What’s a ROM Update?
The ROM is where the operating system and built-in applications are stored. Changes made to the files in ROM are permanent and will survive the device undergoing a hard reset.
Updating the ROM will erase everything that’s on the device, including the contents of the internal drive. It’s important to do a full backup before updating.
Thanks to the many people who sent in tips on this.