Rumor has it that palmOne has a Tungsten T6 device in the pipeline for an April release, except the device will be called the Tungsten 2005. The likelihood of these rumors being true based on current information and past palmOne release dates? Slim to none.
First of all, the Tungsten T5 was released only last November so palmOne certainly is not due up for a refresh of this product. Secondly, the specs for this product read like a fairy tale and they come from a news server (alt.comp.os.palm). Below are the specs for the rumored T6 as posted on PalmAddict with some comments in italics by yours truly:
- Bluetooth – okay, fine
- Wavelan – I’ll interpret this as meaning built-in wi fi, whatever the case, the next high-end Tungsten better have wireless but I’d actually believe the rumor more if it didn’t as palmOne has been so stubborn on the issue of including Wi-Fi.
- 1 GB Flash – did palmOne find a cheap source of flash memory?
- 3 MegaPixel camera – huh, in a Tungsten business device in which they’ve never included a camera before?
- New connector with ethernet included – another new connector after palmOne promised the new T5 connector would be standard for a while?
- VGA Resolution 640 x 480 – hmm, maybe, but this would make for a more costly device.
- Graffiti 2 (with voice commands)
- Interface to iTunes (Apple iPod) – had to throw in a cool factor spec.
- The device is maximum 200 grams – if we take 200 grams to mean the estimated weight, 200 grams = 7.05 ounces, that’s 2 ounces heavier than the T5. That’s huge for a Palm device.
- Automatic software updates over the internet – believable
- Compatibility for Pocket Windows is built in – so if we believe this and the Treo 670 rumors, then palmOne is snuggling up to Microsoft hey?
- Price of $400 – with all these features? Riiight.
- Launch date approximately the end of April – I wouldn’t bet a dime on such a prediction
We know that a new Zire device is probably upcoming as the Spring is when palmOne traditionally refreshes their consumer line of products. But the timing, specs and mysterious source on the supposed Tungsten 2005 leads us to believe that if you hold your breath for this device to come out in April, well you might be a little blue in the face come May.
I can see how palmOne might release a device similar to this that would be an upgrade to the Tungsten C or maybe even a Zire. But it just doesn’t make sense for the 5 month old T5 to be replaced now.