PalmSource has announced a partnership with Visto (http://www.visto.com/) that will add Mobile Mail 5.0 as an out of the box email solution for Palm OS licensees. Thus far licensees like Sony, palmOne and others have either created their own applications or worked with a third party software developer. Now, all licensees can benefit from a stable and supported software that can be bundled with the hardware if the licensees so choose. But will palmOne and Sony ditch their existing email solutions? Maybe…
The excitement about Mobile Mail 5.0 isn t so much about its functionality, which is strong; it s more about offering a great solution to the smaller licensees, especially those pushing integrated wireless. At the moment it appears palmOne will keep using their own application, Versa Mail, but there does seem to be a significant chance of Sony ditching Clie Mail which desperately needs re-development or replacement.
Coming up with a platform email client is a smart move by PalmSource. Adoption of the application should lead to fewer barriers in getting new devices to market. End users stand to benefit a good deal as well, being able to use a robust email application with enterprise-capable integration. It remains to be seen how many licensees will adopt the application, but it s my understanding that a number of them are already planning on offering Mobile Mail 5.0 with new devices.
Mobile Mail 5.0 Key Features
- Over-the-air push email as well as scheduled or user initiated email synchronization;
- Easy configuration of email accounts setup;
- Support for MS Exchange, Lotus Domino, through integration with Visto Mobile Personal Edition and Visto Mobile Enterprise Server;
- Implements standard email protocols such as IMAP, POP3 and SMTP solution portfolio to meet the needs of mobile professionals, SMEs and large enterprises;
- Improved security through SSL support and encrypted authentication; and
- Enhanced IMAP folder support enables users to subscribe to up to 16 server folders.