With its new Pocket PC e740, Toshiba becomes the first handheld manufacturer to deliver a device with Intel’s new XScale processor as well as built-in Wi-Fi (802.11b), originally we were lead to believe Toshiba would be releasing three different versions of the e740: a Wi-Fi enabled device, a Bluetooth enabled device or a cheaper option that discluded both of these wireless protocols. However, CNet.com has reported that the e740 version available in the U.S. will have Wi-Fi built in while the European model will have Bluetooth instead.
Some may be wondering what the significance of XScale is to the PDA market, besides being just a rather catchy buzz-word. Basically, the XScale processor allows for what Intel is calling a “Low Power” and “Turbo” mode switching capability, so when the PDA is running a processor intensive application the XScale kicks into Turbo and uses as much battery power as is needed. But while the PDA is idling, the XScale processor quickly switches to a low power mode to conserve battery power. In addition to this, the XScale has a large memory cache, this is important for faster operation and lower power consumption in operations such as MP3 audio decode, MPEG-4 video decode or interpreting Java applications. In other words, this chip is designed to tackle multimedia and other processor intensive applications faster than the PDAs of the past. The problem is, we won’t see these optimizations until software is developed to take advantage of the XScale (view silicon.com article regarding this issue).
The e740’s Wi-Fi capability means you’ll be able to surf the web, send email, or perform any other internet function using this PDA and an 802.11b Wireless Network (wireless 802.11b router/hubs run for around $149.99 or less these days).
The e740 can be purchased from the Toshiba website for $599.99 currently, Amazon.com has it for the same price. Expect to be able to find this device for around $549.99 after supply catches up with demand, many places are sold out at the moment though so don’t expect any prices drops soon.
In addition, here are the specs and description from Toshiba.com
Toshiba Pocket PC e740
With integrated Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.1lb) wireless connectivity, the Toshiba Pocket PC e740 powered by Microsoft Windows offers the flexibility you need to easily check e-mail, view files from the company network and surf the Web without the hassle of cords or cables. Microsoft Pocket Windows includes Word, Excel, Outlook and Microsoft Windows Media Player for Pocket PC 2002. See Pocket PC 2002 in action
- Access names, addresses, phone numbers, email all at the touch of a button!
- Keep track of To-Do Lists, your schedule, and important appointments
- Built-in microphone and digital voice recorder
- Rechargeable Advanced Lithium Ion battery Easy data synchronization with your PC
- Built-in SD slot supports storage, communication and other options
- Industry’s first integrated Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11b) no need to leave your desk behind!
- Operating System: Microsoft Pocket PC 2002
- Processor: Intel PXA250 400MHz processor
- Display Type: 3.5″ Color reflective TFT (240 x 320 x 64K color)
- RAM: 64MB; ROM: 32MB
- Input Method: Stylus, Touch Screen
- Communication Port(s): Integrated Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11b), 1-USB port via optional Expansion Pack
- Card Slot(s): 1-Type II CF Card Slot (3.3V), 1-SD (Secure Digital) card slot (3.3V)
- Infrared Port: IR (115Kbps) Speaker & Microphone: Yes. Plus Stereo mini jack
- Battery Type: Advanced Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) Dimensions (WxDxH): 4.9 x 3.1 x 0.6
- Weight: 6.1 oz.
- Warranty: 1 year parts and labor