Users of the Verizon version of the BlackBerry Tour can now upgrade their smartphone to the latest version of RIM’s operating system, BlackBerry OS 5.0. This brings improvements to calling, messaging, Bluetooth, and many other areas.
According to Verizon, this system software upgrade includes enhancements to the:
- Improved operation during charging.
- Simplified key-lock functionality. A password is no longer needed unless a security timeout has occurred.
- Improved GPS connectivity when using third-party mapping applications, including Verizon Navigator.
- Push to Talk-capable
- Smoother operation in both camera and video applications
- Improved Bluetooth functionality for last number dialed.
- Enhanced functionality for Voice Activated Dialing in both English and French.
- Improved missed call log now shows missed Call Waiting calls.
- Upgraded Call Waiting caller ID and call timer.
- Improved functionality for reading, sending, forwarding, and deleting SMS messages.
- Corrected in-box display when device is used with a holster.
- Better video streaming functionality.
- Enhanced display for MMS messages containing both video and text.
- Improved multitasking ability while streaming and downloading videos from www.youtube.com
BlackBerry OS 5.0 for the Tour can be downloaded now from Verizon’s website.
It is available for free.