The Nintendo 3DS XL is a worthy upgrade, even if you have the original 3DS. What it lacks in overall portability it more than makes up for with the extra-large 3D screen up top. Instead of squinting at tiny images, you are now more immersed in the gameplay than ever before, and it makes a huge difference. Add in much improved battery life as well as really solid hardware and balance that with slightly-less-loud speaker and a larger overall footprint and the 3DS XL is an extremely attractive device.
If you already have one, see if you can sell it, trade it, or pass it down to a younger family member and upgrade yourself to the best 3DS available. If you don’t have a 3DS and you’re looking to jump in to the world of portable 3D gaming, now is most definitely the time to do so. And if you’re a budget-minded shopper, don’t forget that there will likely be an attractively priced bundle released for your Black Friday shopping pleasure.
- 90% larger 3D screen for a more immersive 3D gaming experience
- Much improved battery life
- More solid-feeling hardware that is more comfortable to hold for long gaming session
- While it is still technically pocketable, it’s pretty large for a handheld gaming device
- Speakers aren’t quite as good as the original 3DS, so you’ll want to use headphones most of the time.
Want to know more about the state of 3D? Check out additional reviews and articles in DesktopReview‘s 3D Special Report!